Best passive attenuator?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
what is good?

The good old Marshall Powerbrake is no longer available, the THD is a bit crap.

Is the Jet City Jettenuator any good? What other passive options are there?

I don’t need extreme attenuation, just a bit more control.

ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    There is no 'best', and even 'good' is difficult to really say, because it depends on the amp.

For example the THD is not a bit crap with Mesa and Fender BF/SF amps, it's one of the best if not the outright best... but it's really crap with Voxes and not good with Marshalls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Going to be used with a Marshall Studio Classic 20.
    Probably the Powerbrake, although it's the only one I've tried with one so I don't have much comparison. It is still the best I've heard with a full-size Super Lead though.

Not too rare second hand, or expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I think I got my Powerbrake a couple of years ago on eBay for £120. They went for £100-£150 at the time, not sure about nowadays.
    I think I got my Powerbrake a couple of years ago on eBay for £120. They went for £100-£150 at the time, not sure about nowadays.
    £160 to £200 on eBay now.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I use a Carl’s Custom unit. Very simple power soak type. Do these have ohm ratings? Something in the back of my mind says it is 8 ohm while my new amp is 16, so might be surplus to requirements.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    edited June 2019
    Ive got a Weber mini mass 50w I’m about to sell. I used that with an Origin 20 head. It has high frequency pass s tying to allow for the reduced treble at higher attenuation levels. Think the mini mass has a speaker coil inside which should be better that fixed resistors, but I don’t know the physics behind it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    fretmeister said:

£160 to £200 on eBay now.
    I wonder what price they need to get to before Marshall realise they need to be reissued...

An updated one with a line out - even un-emulated would be fine, since most people using a load box for recording use IRs - would probably sell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Definitely a used Powerbrake for a Marshall, sound great!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Not the cheapest option but the Rivera Rockcrusher works well with my Marshall, I don't try to attenuate down to quiet levels though, just enough to make it bearable at home levels.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    Not the cheapest option but the Rivera Rockcrusher works well with my Marshall, I don't try to attenuate down to quiet levels though, just enough to make it bearable at home levels.
    I was looking at that - seems a good unit.
    zepp76 said:
    I'm sure it's good, but it's £400+  a used powerbrake will set you back £150 and will sound fantastic.  Can only see one on eBay at the moment, but they come up regularly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-Power-Brake-Attenuator-PB100-inutilizzato/153528654548?hash=item23bf055ad4:g:5QYAAOSwzLZdBNNp
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    It's well worth searching for a used one, I've seen them go for around £250 used, I got impatient and bought new costing me over £400  :o
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    John_A said:
    zepp76 said:
    I'm sure it's good, but it's £400+  a used powerbrake will set you back £150 and will sound fantastic.  Can only see one on eBay at the moment, but they come up regularly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-Power-Brake-Attenuator-PB100-inutilizzato/153528654548?hash=item23bf055ad4:g:5QYAAOSwzLZdBNNp
    The Powerbrakes seem to be getting popular again.

Sometimes hitting £200!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited June 2019
    Honestly, for home use, I'd consider a Reactive Load and speaker cab loader. Offers you so much more flexibility.

I'm a bit evangelistic about this approach, but that's because the tones I'm getting are incredible. Stereo too, really nice.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Honestly, for home use, I'd consider a Reactive Load and speaker cab loader. Offers you so much more flexibility.

Lots more money though.

If I ever record I use Native and my Helix.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited June 2019

Lots more money though.

If I ever record I use Native and my Helix.
    Yes, I give you that, but wholly worth it IMO. I sold my Kemper and invested the money into this setup and haven't looked back. In fact, the money I raised allowed me to buy my dream amp and a little Marshall!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    John_A said:
    zepp76 said:

The Powerbrakes seem to be getting popular again.

Sometimes hitting £200!
    Still cheaper than A Rivera ;)  Even at £200 I think they are good value.  I gigged a JTM45 and a Plexi for years with a powerbrake just to reduce the volume to loud enough to gig with without pissing everyone off and it was excellent
    I'll save an ebay search for the Powerbrake and see if one comes up at a sensible price.

What about the Jet City Jettenuator? I see it's a Soldano design.

Any good?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Powerbrake is ace - I have an old one that I don't need but won't sell so it's out on long term loan.

I was mega impressed.with the Torpedo Reload I had too - will do silent recording/headphones too - expensive but sometimes come up used 
    Red ones are better.