Soundhole mics Anyone using them

I have been recommended by my teacher to invest in a Audio Technica PRO70 they can go for about £97 
it has a clip on device which sits on the guitar soundhole. The beauty is that you put it on any acoustic or uke or anything. Any thoughts on this 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725

I'm not, but I'd be very reluctant to use one as a single source in a live setting without very good EQ and feedback control.
    I see things like this as adding a bit of air to something less interesting that can provide a feedback resistant fundamental sound.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238

I haven't used that particular one but I've used DPA and K&K clip-on mics and my experience has been that sound is great, but the practicality in all but the most ideal/forgiving live environment....patchy at best. With a good sound guy and a listening audience it's fine.

General rule of thumb - if you'd consider doing the gig with normal condenser mic for your guitar then one of these will be the same but with added mobility. If you wouldn't consider using a normal condenser because of feedback concerns, don't use one of these either. Claims of feedback rejection due to cardioid patterns etc are grossly overstated.

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    I don't use acoustic on stage much but when I do I use a rare earth blend - so a magnetic sound hole pick up with a mic that sits inside and a blend control to balance between the two. Only once I remember there was too much feedback to use the mic at all.