Recommend me a budget electro

What's Hot
JDEJDE Frets: 1092
I'm shopping around for an electro, mainly for live use. I'm not Tommy Emanuel, it's mainly for strumming and the occasional Elliott Smith style finger picked singer songwriter type bumf.

Budget is about 500 quid. Only real requirement is non-Jumbo in size, not a parlour either. OM and up, not stretching to a 17" bout. Not fussed about a cutaway or fancy shit, just need a workhorse that sounds good.

I've played leccy and archtops for years, so am pretty clueless about flattops.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited August 2014

New or secondhand?

Nice guitars: Yamaha in the sale

I played a few recently, Faridas are not too shabby, Epiphone Masterbilt was pretty good.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    New or used, not overly fussy. Like the look of the masterbilt's, will look into Farida's.

Always fancied a Yammy (big Elliott Smith fan), so will have to make more effort with Classifieds/eBay.

Thanks!
  • Best to try out acoustics in a shop and buy the one you like, if at all possible. They are much more varied and subject to personal taste than electrics.

Also, DO NOT try guitars that are outside your budget, because you will want them and probably buy them anyway. Ask me how I know! :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    @bluechargeboy has a wisdom from me. 

On both counts. 

The above has resulted in my long-term lusting for a Taylor and a Lowden. Something I kinda can, and can't justify the price tag for all at the same time. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Not a recommendation, but Dolphin have a sale on at the moment - including Yamaha Electro-Acoustics.

The A3R seems to get good reviews, and they're currently at £260 less than anyone else is selling them for..... 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935

Try get a Yamaha with the SRT system

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Find a used Faith Saturn for £300 ish.  It'll be the best £300 you ever spent.

Or a late 1960's Yamaha FG110 (or FG160) red label made in Japan model.  You'll get one for £200ish, and they're almost Martin like tone.

Or, Yamaha LL16 

Marlin
  • Faith. Try, even if you eventually decide on something else (but I bet you won't once you've tried one)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • The Giltrap Signature by Vintage is something rather special. I tried one as I thought it looked cool. SO nearly bought it!
    All the Yamahas I've played felt a bit plasticy... I doubt you could chip the paint on one of those with a hammer! They sound MUCH better plugged in than I expected though.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    I have a mint OBB Yamaha APX500ii in orignal Yamaha hard case in the classifieds (if you go back a bit)
    In RM5 Essex if you wanted to check out whether it is for you or not

Cheers
    Baz