I've just realised what utter garbage the TL and Mobius are.

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've only got one Strymon which is the Flint. It's not too outrageously expensive as it can do two effects at the same time which most of the Strymons can't.

The 70's and 80's reverbs are brilliant, but I must say I find the 60's spring a bit underwhelming. 

The tremolo is ace though. 

I was slightly disappointed that it really doesn't seem to cope well with sharing it's power with anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've owned a good number of Strymons and disliked most of them. The BigSky is, however, magnificent. The Flint's trem is too, though the reverb isn't up to much IMHO. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    @Drew_fx I've heard a lot of good stuff about the zoom, but the one major drawback seems to be swithcing between different effects with a single pedal.

The Big Sky is a doddle like that.  Having three presets on a single bank is great.  You can have one for a subtle reverb for general use, one for a deep reverb, and one for an "effect" reverb like cloud or swell.  It's easy to switch banks if you need more than 3 sounds as well.

Most of the time I use the Big Sky for a basic subtle reverb but it is nice to have some of the other effects available.  The swell is good, and I like some of the more exotic ones like cloud and shimmer although I might not use them that much live.  The main thing is the ease of using different sounds.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    @crunchman - if you're looking for a möbius let me know....just thinking how wonderful they are myself..... ;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I've not got any Strymon gear, but I've yet to see/hear any demo of the Big Sky that makes it appear anything less than stunning. Just watching videos of using it inspires me into thinking of ideas, and there aren't many pedals that have that effect on me, (pardon the pun).

Its a lot of money that I don't have, but I'm saving up for one.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    I've heard nothing but good on the big sky. Re my OP I've been rationalising this whilst on the Chiltern Chugger home and I've decided that Strymons sound like listening to a guitar out of a hifi whereas other stuff sounds as if coming out of an amp....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I have to say, the BS is my favourite. But yeah I really really like Strymon all over. The price is high but for me they replaced so many stomps and with (to my ears) a far greater sound they feel like I got them "cheap". 

The TL replaced a Flashback X4 alongside 3 Boss DD3 pedals. So that felt like amazing value for money. 
  • With respect, imho, ymmv etc etc

The M5 and Zoom are absolutely no where near the Big Sky... not even close...

As @JohnPerry said, it is magnificent !!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wazmeister;350437" said:
    With respect, imho, ymmv etc etc

The M5 and Zoom are absolutely no where near the Big Sky... not even close...

As @JohnPerry said, it is magnificent !!!
    Well obviously I disagree. But I'm just going on videos with the big sky

tFB Trader
    I have a G3 and a Flint and the reverbs are much better on the Flint. 

The Delays on the G3 are as good as anything though.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I had a skreddy. I didn't think it that good??
    But perhaps it could be worth another audition
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I had a Mobius but got rid as it was a bit meh! Got a Big Sky and and El Cap and have no complaints with them. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    monquixote;350500" said:

The MS70CDR has a shit ton of stuff that the G3 doesn't have. Models based on the Eventide pedals and a whole bunch of others.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    monquixote;350500" said:

The MS70CDR has a shit ton of stuff that the G3 doesn't have. Models based on the Eventide pedals and a whole bunch of others.
    Ah fair enough. 

I thought the verbs on the G3 were what let it down. If they added those to a new version of the G3 and added patch switching I could happily use that and a couple of drive pedals.
  • With digital modelling pedals, you're only really comparing algorithms I'd have thought?

If that's the case, it's really not going to surprise me if zoom had some as nice, or nicer, than strymon. It's just numbers, after all.

I want to try a zoom one, but I don't think it looks user friendly enough for me. :( if they did the ms70cdr but in a 2 switch box, one for bypass and the other to cycle patches, it would be epic.
    tFB Trader
    There is also a question of how many MIPS your DSP chip has. 

Strymon claim to use vast amounts of processing in their pedals.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2014
    I few of us were lucky enough to hear Crunchman's wonderful Strymon Blue Sky yesterday at a Gearfest and I was there too with my a Zoom MS -CDR-70 and there was a Line 6 M5 in the offering from jeztone2. There was no contest when we listened to them in isolation. The quality of the Big Sky and the way things sit just behind your core sound and don't get in the way left the Zoom and M5 behind with the Line 6 probably fairing slightly better than the Zoom. Unfortunately, and as Drew says,  I don't know if that would be lost in a band context, but neither the Zoom or Line 6 should be sniffed at, especially for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Pretty much anything you can get in stompbox format these days is something that 20 years ago you'd have paid an arm and a leg for and would have come in a rack.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    With digital modelling pedals, you're only really comparing algorithms I'd have thought?

If that's the case, it's really not going to surprise me if zoom had some as nice, or nicer, than strymon. It's just numbers, after all.

I want to try a zoom one, but I don't think it looks user friendly enough for me. :( if they did the ms70cdr but in a 2 switch box, one for bypass and the other to cycle patches, it would be epic.
    If the Zoom came in a 2 switch box it would probably end up being a little bit more expensive.

Apart from the other things mentioned, the other difference will be in the quality of the Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue converters.  The Strymon ones are likely to be a lot higher up the price scale than the Zoom/Line 6 ones.  I don't know how much difference they make.  It might be 1%, or it might be 10%.  For the price of the pedal Zoom will very much be "What are the best A/D D/A converters we can get for £2? (or thereabouts)", whereas Strymon could be spending 5 or 10 times as much.
  • crunchman;352683" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

With digital modelling pedals, you're only really comparing algorithms I'd have thought?

If the Zoom came in a 2 switch box it would probably end up being a little bit more expensive.

Apart from the other things mentioned, the other difference will be in the quality of the Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue converters.  The Strymon ones are likely to be a lot higher up the price scale than the Zoom/Line 6 ones.  I don't know how much difference they make.  It might be 1%, or it might be 10%.  For the price of the pedal Zoom will very much be "What are the best A/D D/A converters we can get for £2? (or thereabouts)", whereas Strymon could be spending 5 or 10 times as much.
    This is very true, hadn't thought of that.