I've just realised what utter garbage the TL and Mobius are.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30929
edited September 2014 in FX
I bought a Skreddy Echo today and removed both Stymon.

The improvement in tone throughout everything is jaw dropping- my rig sounds real again. It sounds like a Hiwatt.

Skreddy Echo is superb. One trick pony but a good one.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    That good eh? I'll have to listen to one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    Do it.

Mind you I already love my Strymons and do use about 8 patches on each of these two. 
    Maybe should just try it for one sound. 
    That's what it can't compete with.

I have one of the Free the Tone Digi delays coming on an artist deal rate 'cos I know the importer ;)

Arrives soon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

The improvement in tone throughout everything is jaw dropping- my rig sounds real again. It sounds like a Hiwatt.

Cool, I will take both Strymons for £100 

Thanks!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

Thanks!

They're fire damaged but sure....

(I'll be shoving them up for £300 each shipped).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm trying to avoid pedals at the moment. 
    Plus the empress is keeping me busy at the moment. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

Thanks!

For garbage? no no no no...I'll offer £150 for both. I need two of each for sure.

:-c
  • Deijavoo said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

Thanks!

For garbage? no no no no...I'll offer £150 for both. I need two of each for sure.

:-c
    I'll take Dave's offer and raise you a Frederic Mutant fuzz :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Strymons always sound a bit Tinny to me never bought one you can never have enough Skreddy product. Try a LMS in front of a hybrid Fuzz driver into your echo...... Dreamland
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The Skrecho is the best digital delay pedal, ever, IMO. Regret selling both of mine if I'm honest.

Never bonded with any Strymon stuff, although I find all of them "impressive." They all do something to my sound, even when off, which I find irritating. It's saved me a lot of money :)
    Everything about Strymon is impressive and the sound is OK, but nothing as nice as this.

But as a tool the Strymon is one of the best at what it does. It's just a little pants sounding.

• That's surprising to hear you say that. I find them great and very versatile for my set up. Maybe it differs from amp to amp. Compact too compared to similar units etc
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    Love my Strymons.  Tempted by the Mobius to go with TL and Big Sky.
  • I think this just highlights that multi effects are great and usually take up less room overall but they are always bettered by singular stompies. 

• Gassage;349604" said:
    Everything about Strymon is impressive and the sound is OK, but nothing as nice as this.

But as a tool the Strymon is one of the best at what it does. It's just a little pants sounding.
    At long last, someone being honest about strymon kit!

I've never tried the bigsky or blue sky, but I've tried the delay kit and the mobius and the El cap was the only one I thought was really worthy of the hype. The rest sounded great, but did *something* to my sound - it sounded cleaner almost. I guess some folks would love that. The El cap was beasty though.

I didn't realise the price and hadn't heard of strymon so I didn't understand why the shop folk looked at me funny when I asked to try it against a dd3, digidelay and flashback!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I didn't realise the price and hadn't heard of strymon so I didn't understand why the shop folk looked at me funny when I asked to try it against a dd3, digidelay and flashback!
    Nah you definitely need to do that, and you're spot on for comparing against cheaper models. I compared the M9 reverbs to the TC Hall of Fame recently. Not a lot in it. On some sounds the HoF wins, on others the M9 wins. Just depends what you want.

We guitarists fall for marketing fluff much more than any other musician imho. That explains Strymon's successes to a certain degree.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    edited September 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah you definitely need to do that, and you're spot on for comparing against cheaper models. I compared the M9 reverbs to the TC Hall of Fame recently. Not a lot in it. On some sounds the HoF wins, on others the M9 wins. Just depends what you want.

We guitarists fall for marketing fluff much more than any other musician imho. That explains Strymon's successes to a certain degree.
    Not tried the HOF but having owned the M5 and the Big Sky the M5 is a very, very distant second to the Big Sky.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    crunchman said:
    Drew_fx said:

Not tried the HOF but having owned the M5 and the Big Sky the M5 is a very, very distant second to the Big Sky.
    I've not used a BigSky so I can't really comment. But with these all singing all dancing pedals, a lot of the sounds you get sound great when you're on your own in your lounge or whatever. But get them into a band context and they disappear. I had this experience with the EHX Freeze and SuperEgo anyway.

I had a Brigadier before I didn't think much of it. Would rather have spent the money on an analog delay pedal that was half the price; something like the Malekko E600 pedals, or a Way Huge Aqua Puss.

Just going on video demos, I think the Zoom MS70CDR gives the Strymon BigSky a run for its money. I know... that sounds ludicrous, but I really do think it is true. I did a video of one maybe you'll like it:

Lots of great 'big sky' sounds in that box I tells ya!