Replacement case latch

What's Hot
GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
edited November 2014 in Guitar
Pissed off to have somehow managed to shear one of the latches off my Gibson SG case the other night. Anyone know a) a supplier for a replacement and b) is it aggro replacing it?

Cheers
Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ADPADP Frets: 184
    What kind is it? I replaced part of one on a Fender case. I might be able to help.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I've got a latch or two... U got a pic?
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited November 2014
    OK. Cheers guys.

This is how it is now...
    ..........and this is how it should be.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    If you've still got the other bit you should be able to fix it, although it still means getting the baseplate off the case and re-rivetting it afterwards, which is the biggest pain in the arse about this job…

I'm pretty sure there's no way of getting those tabs to fold round tightly without being able to get at the back of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2014
    I've lost the other bit. Not sure if it's worth the hassle as I will need to disturb the lining, drill out the old rivets and replace them too. It's quite a new case and in good nick so just a bit gutted at my own carelessness really.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    If got something very similar... Pm me an adres and il ping it over
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Guitarse said:

Not sure if it's worth the hassle as I will need to disturb the lining, drill out the old rivets and replace them too. It's quite a new case and in good nick so just a bit gutted at my own carelessness really.
    You shouldn't need to drill out the rivets - they're split-shaft types folded over on the inside, once you've got the lining out of the way you can undo them and re-use the same ones when you put the latch back. A bit of glue and some clothes pegs to clamp it and you won't even see the lining has been off.

It's a bit of a faff, but not really that hard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm just putting this out there...

My two 2010 custom shop Gibson cases are the worse cases i've every used.