Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Please critique my band (positive constructive advice)

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited February 2015 in Live
A follow up thread to this:

So, following our 1st full dress rehearsal, after several months of practice, we realise that we ain't all that ... not yet anyway.

Any feedback / critique from outside observers would be most welcome.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Video's set to private.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    try now - set to unlisted
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Really enjoyed that!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    After a quick listen on the iPad, I think sound wise the guitar and bass need to come up a bit. The vocals and drums are very dominant.

Performance wise the biggest problem is not the mistakes (I make mistakes like that all the time) but it's the way you react to them (or not react to them). Often the audience don't even notice the mistakes, or thinks nothing of them, but if you start turning around, laughing, staring, pointing or reacting in other ways, it just looks very unprofessional and only serves to highlight the mistake to everyone watching and makes it stick in their minds.

If you cock up, just play/sing along like nothing happened. Even serious cock ups can be disguised this way, as you're probably the only ones who know about it.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong though, everyone can play/sing fine so it's just a case of tweaking and ironing out the creases. You'll be alright on the night!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @viz thanks :)
    @Maynehead Yes, I see that too ... I asked that we do a 'dress rehearsal' meaning 100% pro and serious ... but we didn't manage it.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Yeah dunno what you're worrying about, it's fine mate.

Dress rehearsals are never going to be exactly the same as a gig, you'll never recreate it.

Vocals struggled at the start but improved.

The only way to improve from here in my opinion is to gig gig gig.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Looks and sound ok to me - you can hear everything - I'd also up the guitars and bass a little but the usual mistake new bands make is not having the vocals loud enough so you're ok there.   

Looks like you're all enjoying it and that's infectious at gigs.   Just remember to enjoy it, look confident and crack on.   imo you just need to gig a lot now, to get super tight and feel relaxed about it.
    Another one:

• Not what I was expecting given your self-critique on the other thread.

I'd agree with all of the points above. Always hard to tell with YT but it does sound like out front you have plenty of vox and drums and could go with more guitar and bass.

Is your singer going to memorise the lyrics? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I think the punters will have a good time, that's the main thing. My main top tip is for your good self - stance! Get in the habit of spreading your legs a bit wider - you'll feel like a prat but it looks so much better in photos / videos
    @lloyd and @johnp .... gigs will make us tight for sure ... thanks for the boost
    @Moe-Zambeek ... my guitar was backline only, not through the pa, bass was in the pa just a touch ... we have another pa rehearsal next week ... I don't know why she hasn't memorised the lyrics yet! :(
    @bigjon Everything we have done is to try to give folk a good time when we play, so fingers crossed that you're right ... you noticed that I look a right prat! Damn,  Ithought I might get away with that! lol
    I do tend to bop about in a silly manner, and sing along with no mic ... and it looks plain stupid. So, yes, note to self ... stop singing, check your dance moves and hit some cool rock 'n' roll poses! ;)
  • Agree with most of the above....looked and sounded pretty good to me, though my real big pet hate is singers who feel they need the lyrics on a music stand which, imho, just gets in the way and makes it look a bit unprofessional. Hopefully it's just for rehearsal!
    Other than that, nice work!
    I made a flub in the chorus here, and let the song come back to me.... here's another

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

The things that stand out for me is everything needs to be in time and in tune. So the first thing I notice is the drums ... the timings really dodgy so no one can lock in and it sounds a bit of a mess.  Need to tighten that and also don't have drum rolls where not needed ...... keep it simple and it will sound better

Lot of potential though to be a great band once things tighten up

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited February 2015
    Yes, I agree with Danny.

Basics seem ok but the timing is a bit haphazard! Not just the drums but the singer too - she's a bit rigid. Needs to loosen up - I guess that'll come with practice. Remembering the lyrics will help too - and they aren't exactly tricky lyrics to either song.

Overall though, think you've the basis for a decent band. 

Edit: Just watched the next too. Singer, for me, is the weak point - sloppy, forgetting (or making up / adding to) lyrics, very rigid with no swing. To be honest, I think there's a lot of work to do there.  

Easy for me to be critical though - I'm sat on my arse noodling in my room!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @danny1969 @Chuffola
    You're the first to mention drums ... anywhere specific you're hearing / seeing this?
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I think it may be mainly be that the drums are so loud in the mix and there are a few fills that seem out of place. My main issue is with the vocalist really. 
    Chuffola said:
    Edit: Just watched the next too. 
    Proud Mary or Perfect?
    Chuffola said: ... To be honest, I think there's a lot of work to do there. 
    okay, tricky conversation ahead
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    close2u said:
    @danny1969 @Chuffola
    You're the first to mention drums ... anywhere specific you're hearing / seeing this?
    The first video I watched Blondie One Way & Teenage kicks  .... It's the timing, it's speeding up and slowing down not a constant BPM. Also I think until the timing things fixed the less fills the better ... the fills make the timing thing worse. 

Bear in mind I'm generally critical of timing on drummers anyway as a lot of my work is putting them in time :) 

www.2020studios.co.uk