Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    2.10 is live. Release Notes here.

hahaha LOL:

If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will cause their car radio to play only polka death metal every Thursday from 1-3pm PST

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    Nothing new for the bassists. :( 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm. Might not bother. Nothing really grabbing me although the pitch delay could be cool. 

Will at least wait a few days.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Nothing new for the bassists. :( 

I'm sure the SD-1 will work ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    SD1 is horrible on bass!
  • Nothing new for the bassists. :( 

Not yet. Dom and I are bassists, so we haven't forgotten our low end brethren...
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • SD1 is horrible on bass!
    I like it... the Gojira bassist at one point was going bass -> tubescreamer -> amp. Joe Barresi has also said he uses a similar setup with certain bands. Works for a tight drive tone but you need to try to get the deep lows back at the amp.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Picked up a Helix yesterday. I'm still getting my head around it, but so far, I think it's one of the nicest bit of gear I've ever bought. The user interface is so well thought out, the PC editor is really nicely designed and appears to work well, manual is well written, firmware update was dead easy. The presets sound pretty horrible, but I guess that's standard for this type of thing.

I've not used the amp models, I'm just using it as a pedalboard using the 4CM. I think it sounds great. The looper is really good. Obviously, the Helix is not cheap, but then again, pedals, power supplies and pedalboards aren't either.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2411
    OK, so I'm still trying to sort out the whole IR thing and getting some good sounds, but I'll be using the Helix live for the first time with my K10 tomorrow night.

To make it even more entertaining, the guys in the band aren't aware of this, so I look forward to seeing if they even realise I'm not lugging in 60KGs of amp and cab.....
    Great - the Helix seems to have developed another fault, annoyingly; after a good first FrFr gig, I've today give and started to practice using the same patch.... And it sounds awful. Really nasty and bloated, with what sounds like digital distortion.

Tried using a cable instead of wireless, tried a different guitar, unplugged everything from the Helix besides in and out​, tried it using headphones to check it's not the speaker, created a new patch with just an amp and cab, used a downloaded patch from Glenn Deluane....​​ still sounds awful.

Here's a video - http://sendvid.com/joiaabdm

I've already got the cab low cut quite high, the ​amp block is default settings, and even have the low pass filter on the K10 speaker ​engaged.​ No global EQ.

This is the second problem that's cropped up with the Helix, and I'm reliant on it for gigs (many of which are in the next few weeks for Xmas and NYE!!!). Feeling pretty deflated with it right now, TBH - just don't understand what's happened!
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited December 2016
    FarleyUK said:
    Great - the Helix seems to have developed another fault, annoyingly; after a good first FrFr gig, I've today give and started to practice using the same patch.... And it sounds awful. Really nasty and bloated, with what sounds like digital distortion.

Tried using a cable instead of wireless, tried a different guitar, unplugged everything from the Helix besides in and out​, tried it using headphones to check it's not the speaker, created a new patch with just an amp and cab, used a downloaded patch from Glenn Deluane....​​ still sounds awful.

I've already got the cab low cut quite high, the ​amp block is default settings, and even have the low pass filter on the K10 speaker ​engaged.​ No global EQ.

This is the second problem that's cropped up with the Helix, and I'm reliant on it for gigs (many of which are in the next few weeks for Xmas and NYE!!!). Feeling pretty deflated with it right now, TBH - just don't understand what's happened!
    This is exactly what happened to my Helix after 5 months. Unfortunately it did turn out that it was actually faulty and would need to be repaired, though they weren't specific as to exactly what the problem was.

Turned out it was also a 6 week wait for parts but I managed to convince my retailer (Guitar Guitar) to send me a replacement instead. 
    FarleyUK said:

This is exactly what happened to my Helix after 5 months. Unfortunately it did turn out that it was actually faulty and would need to be repaired, though they weren't specific as to exactly what the problem was.

Turned out it was also a 6 week wait for parts but I managed to convince my retailer (Guitar Guitar) to send me a replacement instead. 
    I've had someone else also say they had the same issue. Makes me think mine has been borked since day one, and I've not actually been getting the 'correct' sounds out of it after all.

Thankfully, the guys at Andertons are exchanging it for me tomorrow :)

Bit of a strange topic I know, but I'm getting my replacement unit today, and I'd like to know that there's no fault with it (seeing as my old unit had a couple of them).

Can anyone point me to a good 'real world' demo of how the Helix should sound when going FrFr please? Ideally nothing that's been post-produced, and is just a simple patch. Looking at a lot of YouTube vids, they're all DI'd or post-produced, which doesn't really give me the 'true' sound.

Thanks!

FW 2.11 is out....

• SporkySporky Frets: 28356
    Just bug fixes by the looks of it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

• Some interesting sounds, I quite like.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    ^ That was great, much more interesting than most demo's i've seen.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    So for anyone that wants a Helix on the cheap....

http://line6.com/helix-native/

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sod the native app... just saw this

Helix FW 2.20 Preview (The "Get Low" Update)

AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY—DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT!

New Amps
    Line 6 Badonk, all new Line 6 original inspired by the original high gain Big Bottom model
    Del Sol 300, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass amp
    Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 bass amp
    Busy One Ch1, based on* channel 1 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
    Busy One Ch2, based on* channel 2 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
    Busy One Jump, based on* channel 1 and 2 (jumped) of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp

New Hybrid Cabs
    1x12 Match H30, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12” G12H30 speaker)
    1x12 Match G25, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12” Greenback 25 speaker)
    1x12 Cali IV, based on* the MESA/Boogie® Mk IV 12” cab
    1x12 Cali EXT, based on* the MESA/Boogie® 12” extension cab (EVM12L speaker)
    1x12 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (12” speaker)
    1x18 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (18” speaker)
    1x18 Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 18” bass cab

New Effects
    - Dynamics > Auto Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    - Distortion > Obsidian 7000 (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Darkglass Electronics® Microtubes B7K Ultra bass preamp/overdrive/EQ
    - Distortion > Clawthorn Drive (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass overdrive
    - Delay > Vintage Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    - Delay > Adriatic Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    - Pitch/Synth > 4 OSC Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    * All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New Features
    - Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Send MIDI Clock—Helix can now transmit MIDI clock to synchronize the tempo of external pedals, rack gear, and software. Select “Off” (Helix does not transmit clock), “MIDI” (Helix transmits clock from only the MIDI OUT jack), “USB” (Helix transmits clock only via USB), or “MIDI+USB” (Helix transmits clock from both MIDI and USB)
    - Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) to incoming MIDI clock from external DAW software, drum machines, keyboard workstations, or other modelers. Select “Off” (Helix ignores MIDI clock), “MIDI” (Helix responds to clock received at its MIDI IN jack), “USB” (Helix responds to clock received via USB), or “Auto” (Helix uses its internal tempo generator until receiving clock from either MIDI or USB)
    Variax Workbench HD Support—Variax can now communicate directly with Variax Workbench HD software (Mac/PC) through Helix via USB.
    Clear Bypass Assignment—Individual blocks’ bypass assignments can now be cleared. From the Bypass Assign screen, select the block whose bypass assignment(s) you wish to clear. Press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Clear Assignments).
    - Line 6 Allure Pack IRs—Dan Boul of 65 Amps has created a pack of six user impulseresponses for use with Helix or any other modeler or software that supports them. Download the free Allure Pack here:http://line6.com/allure/

Improvements/Changes
    Receive MIDI Clock and Send MIDI Clock have also been added to the Tempo panel shortcut.At any time, touch TAP to open the Tempo panel.
    - Reverb > Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Echo, Tile, Cave, Ducking, and Octo have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
    - Pitch > Pitch Wham, Twin Harmony, Simple Pitch, Dual Pitch, and 3 OSC Synth have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
    - Additions to and improvements made to the existing factory preset bundle
    - If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will scare small woodland creatures back into their holes, triggering sixmore weeks of winter weather
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Flippin' eck!!