Yamaha THR10?

What's Hot
DougDoug Frets: 172
edited November 2013 in Amps
Any advantages with the THR10 over the Fender Mustang ll v1 other than portability? are the tones really worth the extra £'s. Been watching the youtube vids with Soren Andersen etc and they seem real quality.  I'm gassing for one of these IF they are a step above the mustangs.( It's for home use only obviously.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fantastic amps but they do sound at their best with a dab of the onboard effects - they show the amp to its best.

I found I preferred the sound of the THR5 too, oddly. Both are a lot better to my ear than the Mustang and look nice in the living room!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I'm still enjoying my THR 10C. I'd say it is better sounding than the Mustang but it is very directional - ie it's meant to sit pretty close to you and aimed at you whereas the Mustang sounds good on the floor.

I've played a lot more since I got mine - it's not perfect but it is easily the best home practice tool I've ever had.

Occasionally, though, I miss having a small tube amp and a few pedals. I had a Laney Cub 10 a while back and with a Boss SD1, Hall of Fame reverb and a Carbon copy delay it made for a fantastic home blues set up and neighbour friendly volumes. I'm tempted to go back to that at some stage. However, there's £400 right there - a 2nd hand THR will be around £200 and will sound great.

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    Cheers guys, better kick the gas fund up/sell the LP then.
    :)
  • One thing, it makes a HUGE difference what surface the THR10/5 is on - if it's on something wooden (i.e. a table) it sounds FANTASTIC, if you have it on the sofa next to you, it can get a touch harsh.

I've just replaced my THR with a Super Champ X2 - very glad I did but they are superb amps, they really are.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I agree that the X2 is a cracker but its a different thing entirely. 15 valve watts is pretty loud and, even on 1.5 the volume ( I seem to remember) precluded late night noodling for me!

But, like I said, there are times when only a valve and a bigger speaker will do. 
    edited December 2013
    I'm really impressed by the comments on here about these and some of the videos/reviews etc, but reluctant to buy atm as I feel they may well be an immenent V2!?  with factory footswitchable/upgrades etc as with everything techno these days.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2013
    ah the eternal question with technology,  is there going to be a newer version, and if so when !!

Nothing would ever get bought !!    LOL

I dont think a footswitch is something to "improve" it to any great extent,   based on what its originally designed for -   it takes it into proper standy uppie  amp territory,  and for me anyway - its a sit downy within arms reach have a noodle kind of thing
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    Today's new version is only tomorrow's about to be replaced version.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Today's new version is only tomorrow's about to be replaced version.
    in IT terms  " if its in stock, its out of date"
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

The next one is going to have a small LCD screen and a jog dial to allow the user to change the internal parameters without having to plug in a PC and it will also feature a wireless interface to iPad.

In terms of audio outputs expect XLR out to desk.

Power wise it will have an integral Li-ion battery pack and charger.

I have no affiliation to Yamaha, but if I say it often enough it will happen, wont it?

ROOG said:

The next one is going to have a small LCD screen and a jog dial to allow the user to change the internal parameters without having to plug in a PC and it will also feature a wireless interface to iPad.

In terms of audio outputs expect XLR out to desk.

Power wise it will have an integral Li-ion battery pack and charger.

I have no affiliation to Yamaha, but if I say it often enough it will happen, wont it?

well at least the battery's a good idea

Each to their own bertie.

Wots wrong with the interface thing-a-bob? I can't stand waiting for a laptop to boot up!

• XLR out and an optional footswitch for the presets would be just fine. :)
    ROOG said:

Wots wrong with the interface thing-a-bob? I can't stand waiting for a laptop to boot up!

cos my laptops and PC are on pretty much 16 hours a day  :)     and I play within reach of at least one of them, but I dont always want to use the editing s/w................

The problem is once they start adding on-board "editing functions"  apart from the obvious cost increase, do they then make it a complete menu driven beastie ?   then for me the point of them is gone TBH.
    bertie said:
    ROOG said:

cos my laptops and PC are on pretty much 16 hours a day  :)     and I play within reach of at least one of them, but I dont always want to use the editing s/w................

The problem is once they start adding on-board "editing functions"  apart from the obvious cost increase, do they then make it a complete menu driven beastie ?   then for me the point of them is gone TBH.

Since I started using it on batteries I've found the THR is more likely to wander about the house, it would just be nice to be able to tweak the effects settings with out being tied to a PC.

I agree I wouldn't want it to become a full menu operated amp.

As an aside I also noticed that by using the PC interface you can tweak the b/m/t functions separately and that the single tone control on the top of the THR 5 amp  "waggles" the separate b/m/t functions in a non uniform way across the range from min to max settings. 

edited December 2013
    IF? you can get these quality tones at home, I'm having one, very soon!,
    This and a DC Junior will complete(hopefully!) my 2014 GAS tab. Might even buy some sneakers lol!
    :D
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    edited December 2013

Yep, you can definitely get these tones at home. They are amazing little amps. Still very pleased with mine, and I've has it almost a year.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    @equalsql Cheers bud, good to know, the demo above is the best I've heared, I'll have to go try one. Prices seem to be creeping down now after christmas.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I have both @Doug

There are better Fender cleans to be found on the Mustang but the THR overdriven sounds are far superior (all in my opinion of course!)
    @Deadman Cheers bud, yep, I think I'll be keeping the Mustang also, The THR10 appeals for the prctical/portable/plug n play quality tones.