Yamaha THR10?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Great piece of kit 

Jez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bagged a THR5 last week and the tones are fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just ordered a thr10 from reidys, totalmusic.co.uk had them going for £239 and reidys offered a price beater at £235!
    1st guitar related new thing Iv bought in h-ages but worth it!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    Bargain. You'll love it.
  • No point me starting a new thread when I can resurrect this one!  Anyway, I still think this thing is expensive but Yamaha obviously know they are on to a winner so it's a premium price for what is pretty much a premium product.  I'm ok with that and the reason is because of how fantastic the little thing actually sounds.

Unlike every other modeller I've ever owned, this thing sounds great out of the box.  I wanted to test it out by playing along to some manics and some ac/dc and had no problems getting either sound within about 20 seconds.  I was genuinely taken aback by how full, juicy and valve like the sounds coming out of the amp were.  It doesn't even sound small and boxy but I do have it on a solid surface at about waist height.  Caveat!  If you turn off the wide stereo effect then it does indeed sound much more boxy, that effect is on by default so leave it on for the biggest sound.

I upgraded it to V2 - took about 10 mins.  Never actually tried out the V1 sounds so don't ask me the difference!  It's brilliant for plugging in a phone or your PC and playing along to music and everything sounds great at low volumes and as both guitar and aux have seperate volumes it's easy to set the mix just right.

Cubase looks confusing!  I'll try it at a later date :)

Here's a few pics of how I'm using it, it's the perfect size to sit on my computer desk.  Anyone else enjoying one of these?  Got any good preset tips?  Anyone interested in buying one?

• wordywordy Frets: 67

you've got the same PC speakers as me.... theyre not bad.... mine are sat on my desk at work on music duty :)

For me the THR is just the easiest way I know to practice my guitar.... and it gets brought out when otherwise, if I had to even switch a couple of things on and plug in a couple of cables, I might not practice.

I've been busy this week, and think I've used the THR three nights till 10pm+  I have practiced with headphones in the past, but I dont really lilke the wires, or being sealed off from whats going on around me.

I've got the even slightly smaller THR5, and its really the size of a shoe.  Sits on the couch next to me... fiddle a bit with it, but not that much.... I've got an ipod shuffle clipped on to the bar there and plugged into the aux for jam alongs.  I like the fact you can run it on batteries too.... and find so far they last long enough not to piss me off.

They are quite a bit of wedge for what they are.... but the concept is good, and its well executed.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I posted this in another thread but that sank, so take 2.

Has anyone with a THR10 worked out if you can change the recording level when connected via USB. The manual seems to suggest you can with the THR5, but the THR10 seems to be a mixed output level. Doesn't seem to be a real problem, just wondering if I am doing it right.

I'm using a MacBook with GarageBand and all the level settings for the input device are greyed out.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited March 2014

I've not tried my THR with the recording software in earnest, I think I tested it on 'day one' to see if it worked. I had a look at the editor screen today and the level setting is greyed out, but I didn't have my THR connected. I will try to remember to test the link out and see if the level control becomes active.  

I use mine with rechargeable batteries NiMh and they last a reasonable time (a couple of weeks of use) with headphones. 

I don't even bother to take it out of its carry case, cut down/modified laptop bag, open the top flap to access to controls and plug a guitar in. As @wordy says, its the easiest way to practice guitar. I don't have room to leave a proper rig set up and ready to go.

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    Still not had time to try one of these yet, but hopefully this week!, any dealers doing sub £266 cash deals?
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    No, but I've a 10C in the classifieds!
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Chuffola said:
    No, but I've a 10C in the classifieds!
    Cheers bud,  but I'm looking for the original THR10
    :D
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569

I posted this in another thread but that sank, so take 2.

Has anyone with a THR10 worked out if you can change the recording level when connected via USB. The manual seems to suggest you can with the THR5, but the THR10 seems to be a mixed output level. Doesn't seem to be a real problem, just wondering if I am doing it right.

I'm using a MacBook with GarageBand and all the level settings for the input device are greyed out.

no idea, but I recorded some stuff when I first got it and all I can remember is it sounded fine - cant even remember what I did to do that either -  it was 14 months ago :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723
    Has anybody tried the THR5A? I fancy one for my Yamaha Silent guitar. It also has an electric setting, I wonder how that sounds. Demo's on YT focus on the mic models, which sounds nice, but I'd be using for electric also. Can I add Bluetooth or Airplay on the wish list also, I could use it for my Iphone or ipad to play music whilst I move around then.
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited March 2014
    I've got a 10C and have been impressed from the moment I got someone to demo it for me (I'm shy!).  Great overdrive tones, especially the DC30 (AC30 hot rod) and the Mini gives you classic rock with higher output pickups.  It's not bad as a speaker for my Mac Mini either which is the killer additional feature for me - it sits on a desk taking up very little space.

And yes, @PinkyFloyd, it's too expensive but it also hasn't got any serious competition for my purposes.

Sadly for @Chuffola, it's in stereo already so I won't buy another but I'd recommend somebody buys his. 
    :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    What is the difference with a 10C?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    Gassage said:
    What is the difference with a 10C?
    10C = classic rock/boutique amp models

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    As you'll see in the classifieds, I've decided to keep my 10C.

Just an awesome little piece of kit. Not sure how I'd replace it if it went.