Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Neither of my SGs neck dive. I have a Classic with P90s and a Special fitted with Classic 57s. Both batwings and are just the most fabulous live instruments - those thin bodies pickup resonance really well and so combined with a cooking amp, notes fall into easy feedback and so it permanently feels like the guitar will run away into glorious infinite sustain.
    Invest in a decent suede strap (and strap locks) and even the worst neck divers ( the worst I had was an early 80s one where the neck joint was different to my current ones) is controlled.
    Join us....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    edited December 2013
    I've got one of these - 

Epi Elitist SG. If you can find one, seriously, try it! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    Can never, ever get on with that fucking shape. It's just too small and out of proportion, the balance is terrible. Shame, because they look and sound great. Luckily though, I have a Flying V - sounds similar but it's more comfortable and easier to play sitting down.

Yes, really.
    What this man said.  Except I don't have a V. 

If you do really need one, look into other brands - or try before you buy.  LTD do some slightly offset SG shapes which balance miles better and are comfy sitting down.  That epi one looks really great, too - once they're on a strap, the balance is a little less important as you're holding the guitar anyway, but I've actually seen a Gibson Standard come apart at the neck when watching a local band play.  His tuning went nuts, then the neck visibly flexed and that was that.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The rules about neck dive don't really follow any logic. My '69 Special had a huge neck and balanced perfectly. My '61 Re-issue had a thin neck and was neck heavy. So, as sticky said in his post, it seems to be about wood choice. There are plenty of SGs around - new and old - that balance on a strap. You just have to look for them. And I think the effort is worth it. Even if you can get used to it, I don't think your left hand should be supporting the neck of any guitar you are playing. IMHO. *
    OP - The Epi pictured is about £330. I know there is a lot of difference between that and the cheapest second hand SG standard but if it was me I would be looking to sell something else so I could have the Gibson.
    I have not seen the new Guild but I am very familiar with the original, and for me it did not look or feel like an SG and therefore (sadly) I did not take it seriously. But I did admire other Guild guitars so it was not a straightforward logo thing.....

*This would especially apply if you are left handed. B-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    I've just bought a '67 Pelham Blue SG / Melody Maker - hasn't arrived yet but I'll get some pics up when it does... gonna take the single coils out and put some humbuckers in, make it a rock machine!
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  :)

I'll admit, I've never had a problem with SG's when sitting down.  However, the Standard I tried yesterday probably would have dived horrendously.  It just felt wrong.  The finish (and I don't want to offend the owner) looked quite cheap, too.

What do people think of the SG Special?  There can't be that much difference other than binding and inlays, surely?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I have a Special. 

From the factory they have ceramic magnet pickups which to the 'rawk' thing very well but are a bit middly/muddly. I swapped mine out for Classic 57s and it sounds wonderful.

As for everything else - well, bling isn't something I'm comfy with, and the woods on mine seem VERY good.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Skipped said:

I have not seen the new Guild but I am very familiar with the original, and for me it did not look or feel like an SG and therefore (sadly) I did not take it seriously.
    That's exactly why I think it might be the answer here - Rox wants something that feels like a 70s SG *copy* rather than like an SG... the Guild fits the bill! But with decent build quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    edited December 2013
    I love SG's! I've had 9 over time. Vintage and recent. Only had one with neck dive which was a Gibson USA Iommi model. It was lightweight but had grovers which caused the neck dive. I'd say SG's are best with Klusons. SG faded specials can be had dirt cheap second hand and are well worth the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone know what's a decent price for a Special?
    ICBM said:
    Skipped said:

I have not seen the new Guild but I am very familiar with the original, and for me it did not look or feel like an SG and therefore (sadly) I did not take it seriously.
    That's exactly why I think it might be the answer here - Rox wants something that feels like a 70s SG *copy* rather than like an SG... the Guild fits the bill! But with decent build quality.

Whereas the copy I had looked like an SG, sounded like an SG, but so far, was more comfortable than an SG!  ;)
  • Last one I had cost me £300
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2013
    In 1973 I had just got my first guitar - an AVON SG... then at the time the Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies LP came out and was made up that both the guitarists donned SGs... I was only 15...!

For years I wanted a Purple SG just like in the sleeve art photos, only to later realise that Glen Buxton's SG was White and that this mirage was due to stage lighting!

Still want a Purple one... and a white one... and a cherry standard... but love the P90s too....!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think how an SG balances depends a lot on the density of the body / neck Mahogany and what hardware is carrying.   I've got two "specials" from 1967, one with its original P90 wrap round config.  the other converted to Humbuckers and carrying a full length Vibrola (routs are original as by '67 Gibson were routing all SG's for Humbuckers and P90's .. Hence the change to the batwing guard). .  

The white one weighs just over 6lb (soo light!), it balances very well and is a fantastically resonant guitar. 

The cherry weighs just under 8lb the Grover's and the Vibrola add a few ounces for sure but it balances pretty well on a strap.  Feels a much more "solid" guitar than the white one.  With the T-Tops in it is pure Angus Young that guitar, it just nails that sound through a Marshall.

I don't find the "long" neck on SG's an issue playing wise, but then I like ES-3xx's as well.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    SG's are red, black or brown.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    usedtobe said:
    SG's are red, black or brown.

Standard colours in 1967 were cherry and white. :P
    If you start with an SG - they don't have a long neck. Les Paul's have short necks.
    This is why I owned a lovely re-issue Les Paul which just sat in the case for years. But then one day I just "got it" and at that moment the Sg's were destined to be sold....
    I also have a theory that an SG looks right on a "younger guy". But I will make an exception for Angus and anybody that I have offended.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Skipped said:
    I also have a theory that an SG looks right on a "younger guy". But I will make an exception for Angus and anybody that I have offended.

:x
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    White's good, too..! :)

There are some colours/finishes that I just can't bear to see on an SG.. Bursts, and fancy tops really grate on me, for some reason..

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    White's good, too..! :)

There are some colours/finishes that I just can't bear to see on an SG.. Bursts, and fancy tops really grate on me, for some reason..

You are right. Sunburst/Quilt/Flame does not look right on an Sg but nobody knows why. I like Cherry Red or white. I can tolerate walnut if it has faded a bit.