Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    welshboyo said:
    I picked up this a few weeks back, SG Original - basically a 61 RI with Vibrola, apart from the very very shoddy set-up which is currently in being sorted by local tech/wizard/genius its great!!

I too have had many an SG over the years and very much like @Misty above, my first "proper" guitar to go out gigging with was an early 70's SG standard with a Bigsby, great guitar which I loved to bits until something else that was obviously "better"......came along and it got sold.

That looks totally wonderful!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited December 2014
    I hated SG's, at one time, and then, at some point, I started to quite like them. I love them now!

edit: hated the look of them - always liked the sound of them..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited December 2014
    Had a '61 reissue which was a really nice guitar, but the neck was two thin, and it really didn't like the Bigsby I slapped on it. Have an SG Classic in ebony now:

It's had the tuners changed to Grovers, but otherwise its stock, and an amazing sounding yoke. Big enough neck too. I love it.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited December 2014
    Here's my 2007 61 RI. Love the sound, the looks, the playability and just wish it had a vibrola! I think they look fantastic!

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    welshboyo said:
    I picked up this a few weeks back, SG Original - basically a 61 RI with Vibrola, apart from the very very shoddy set-up which is currently in being sorted by local tech/wizard/genius its great!!

I too have had many an SG over the years and very much like @Misty above, my first "proper" guitar to go out gigging with was an early 70's SG standard with a Bigsby, great guitar which I loved to bits until something else that was obviously "better"......came along and it got sold.

Have a WOW!  Lovely.  :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    samzadgan said:
    i find SG's the most comfortable of my guitars to play...i have no issues with balance and the thicker neck is reassuring in my hands...with a nice pair of P90's i don't there are many guitars that come close to its growl...

here's mine btw...
    I think that's just about the closest to perfect i've ever seen an SG.
    Stunning looking guitar and i bet it growls.
    I wish i'd bought a black one now !
    I'm going to have an original Vibrola (from a '65 Standard so I was told) available for sale soon if anyone might be interested..
    Okay... here's the Epi:

Hopefully you can see the good stuff and the odd way the finish looks up close.  Lovely dark fretboard, MOP on the headstock logo and Custom Diamond (looks lovely in the flesh) 

Some comparison shots with the '69 SG/MM and some a pic in with rest of the family.  :)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

that Epi pearlham blue is beautiful man. I did really consider that last year...but i bought something else and couldnt justify 2 SG's.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I tried to buy the Pelham blue Epiphone exactly like this one earlier this year but all the new stock had run out at all the dealers and i couldn't get one, so i ended up getting my Gretsch. I don't regret it, i love my Gretsch but now looking at these photo's of the blue one, i can see why i went so mad about one, they are gorgeous.
    I can really see what you mean about the paint finish too and i really like it - it looks old and aged and rough if you touched it but you know it's smooth and will last 17 lifetimes.

Gorgeous guitar.

Really like the 'Family' shot too. 
    edited December 2014
    Thanks @Alnico - I realised what I meant to say about the finish... until you realise it's the grain, it looks like the blue has been painted with a brush, and then lacquered.  You can see what I mean best on the back of the headstock - the whole guitar looks like that, though it isn't entirely clear in the photos.

I say this though, that one cost me £200 secondhand, and I reckon it's worth every single penny!  No matter how good an Epi is, they always head to those kind of prices.  (MIJ ones excepted, of course!)

I realised today that I now have 3 Epis.  The LP Custom on the left back is MIJ Epi, then the Pelham SG, then the Gibson SG/MM, then the Jeff Beck Epi, with a multicultural Fender partscaster at the front left (parts all from Fenders, encompassing the manufacturing triumverate of Japan, USA and Mexico), the 80's MIJ Burny in the middle, and then a Japanese CMI strat with large headstock which is a lovely thing with a really great sound that would be worth tons in a Fender branded guitar!
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited December 2014
    I'll throw mine in. 61 SG bought cheap of the bay ceramics replaced with mojo filtertron and an sd59 I think, it's coil tapped best guitar I've over owned. covers everything from lush cleans, to twangy stuff to fuzzed out garage. http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/wayne_irie/130838b2eec329a0fa687498d0b95a67.jpg
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    most of my S.G's spend their lives looking like this: Poor things :( 

• Trotter said:

Scat Guitar ?

Nah.., Photo was post Download 2013. have a habit of destroying my right hand when i "get going"
    edited December 2014
    Have you considered that a Cherry red finish would really help..?  ;)
    Rox;434091" said:
    Got one of those too :)

Trotter said:
    Rox;434091" said:
    Got one of those too :)

Seeing as the cream SG has red bodily fluids on it, I hope the red one doesn't have cream bodily fluids on it...  :D
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited December 2014
    I think I require an SG with a bigsby. Now.