EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Snap said:
    Besides, I think remain will win by a big margin. People don't like change and unknowns, and Leave is one big unknown.
    Only for them that can't remember what it was like before we joined the EEC. Joining it might have helped trade by removing tariffs but it wasn't long before they tried to politically integrate assimilate us as well. I could agree with removing tariffs, agreeing to sell in metric units, and all that, but I can't see why that should commit us to currency union, political union, and unrestricted movement of peoples.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    One of the other leading members f the lead party is priti Patel, usually the chick standing next to Boris. Very right wing, quite authoritarian. Against gay marriage and for death penalty and all that.

And she is my MP. I'm not a massive Tory basher, but she is quite the whore.

I think the leave campaign should involve the labour mp Gisela Stuart, she is likable at the very least.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I've just Googled Priti Patel. She's well hot!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    You mean she's very.......

.....Priti?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    FarleyUK;1099428" said:
    chillidoggy said:

You mean she's very.......

.....Priti?
    The rest of us resisted but you just couldn't stop yourself.... ;))
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Snap said:
    Besides, I think remain will win by a big margin. People don't like change and unknowns, and Leave is one big unknown.
    Only for them that can't remember what it was like before we joined the EEC. Joining it might have helped trade by removing tariffs but it wasn't long before they tried to politically integrate assimilate us as well. I could agree with removing tariffs, agreeing to sell in metric units, and all that, but I can't see why that should commit us to currency union, political union, and unrestricted movement of peoples.
    It won't lead to currency union, never will. LEave or remain, we will have the pound as long as we want it.

Polticial/legal union is another issue - as is today, we have a fair amount of legal union, but still have the ability to get out of EU legisaltion to a point, and I think we always will have, with us having such a strong economy, we are a big player in the EU, gives us clout

If we leave, and we go down the single market/trade alliance route (which I think is a certainty in the event of an out), we will still ahve to make some big concessions - open borders, legal alignment, adoption of EU directives (maybe not all), so the actual state of play will probably not be a lot different.

As for not feeling the impact of leaving, I think the impact could be massive, and we will all feel it, especially if if destabilises the rest of the EU and pushes some of the more fragile members into default. We could feel it in our pockets all over the place - interest rates, price of goods, stock market instability, potential recession etc etc. It could be quite a major thing.

Then of course, it may not. That is the uncertainty of Leave.

I'm pretty much decided on Remain, but I'm waivering a bit, the more I read about the likelihood of single market/equivalent membership. That, for me, mitigates a lot of the risk of leaving.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sambostar said:
    Drew is old fashioned. 
    I'm really not.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    MPs could initiate ‘reverse Maastricht’ to minimise number of EU laws the UK pulls out of, or push for a second referendum in the case of a leave vote!

One possibility for pro-Europeans would be to insert a clause demanding a second referendum on the terms of the renegotiation, or to run a guerrilla campaign to minimise the number of EU laws from which the UK would withdraw. One pro-European MP said: “We would have to respect the mandate of the referendum, but there is still plenty of scope on how and when we quit the EU.”

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11954
    Snap said:

As for not feeling the impact of leaving, I think the impact could be massive, and we will all feel it, especially if if destabilises the rest of the EU and pushes some of the more fragile members into default. We could feel it in our pockets all over the place - interest rates, price of goods, stock market instability, potential recession etc etc. It could be quite a major thing.

Holidays in Greece and Spain would be cheap again
    We would have duty free at the airports and ports again
    woo hoo
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Gove caught telling big fat fibs again.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/about/blog/346
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Snap said:

Holidays in Greece and Spain would be cheap again
    We would have duty free at the airports and ports again
    woo hoo
    wel there is that, fk it, I'm out!

Cheap hols? Tunisia is cheap, as is Egypt. There's a few downsides, but hey, nothing too drastic......
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    edited June 2016
    An Exit vote will have serious effects on Northern Ireland.  It has been forgotten about in the overall debate.  The vote comes at least 25 years too soon for NI.  NI needs a lot of time to sort itself out after years of conflict and to allow the Peace Process to become ingrained in peoples minds.  And to allow commercial activity to establish itself and grow in the province.

Edit: just found this on the RTE Aertel website: http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/109-1.html.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned (19 pages...too much, even for me), but I'm still baffled by the assertion that the EU is run by unelected, unaccountable people.

Look at it...

European Council - all the heads of government (which, given that every country has representative democracy in place, means that they were elected by the population)
    European Parliament - all the MEPs, who we vote for every time. We have the joint-highest number of MEPs in the parliament (just shy of 10% of the total), so we actually have more influence here than any other country.
    European Commission - this is the one people usually mean, because they aren't elected. However, they can only propose laws, and are bound to enact the decisions of the European Parliament whether they agree with it or not. Basically, they're civil servants for the EU.

My only conclusion is that people are confusing "unelected" with "elected people who don't agree with me".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited June 2016
    But are the MEP's going to be supporting the vote leave campaign? Do turkeys vote for Christmas? No. So they'll be doing everything they can to stay riding in the First Class carriages of that particular gravy train, and therefore cannot be trusted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    But are the MEP's going to be supporting the vote leave campaign? Do turkeys vote for Christmas? No. So they'll be doing everything they can to stay riding in the First Class carriages of that particular gravy train, and therefore cannot be trusted.
    Why shouldn't we trust them? They clearly believe in the EU, otherwise they wouldn't be working to represent us in it.

If they voted leave...that is when we shouldn't be trusting them (or, at least, trusting their judgement).
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    The only British MEPs using it as a "gravy train" are the UKIP ones like Farage who are happy to trouser hundreds of thousands in return for not turning up to meetings or engaging with the process.

It's little wonder people think that the EU doesnt respect the UK when we send them guys like him. He was a member of the fisheries committee and didn't attend a single meeting about it for two entire years. When taken to task about it in the parliament he just sat and laughed (there's a video somewhere).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The only British MEPs using it as a "gravy train" are the UKIP ones like Farage who are happy to trouser hundreds of thousands in return for not turning up to meetings or engaging with the process.

It's little wonder people think that the EU doesnt respect the UK when we send them guys like him. He was a member of the fisheries committee and didn't attend a single meeting about it for two entire years. When taken to task about it in the parliament he just sat and laughed (there's a video somewhere).
    UKIP have 24 MEPs, out of our total of 73. I do wonder how anybody's supposed to take us seriously when a third of the people we send to represent us to a significant portion of the developed world are openly xenophobic.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27651
    edited June 2016

UKIP have 24 MEPs, out of our total of 73. I do wonder how anybody's supposed to take us seriously when a third of the people we send to represent us to a significant portion of the developed world are openly xenophobic.
    I did smile to myself (and anyone else) when those election results came through.

My interpretation was that (a) UKIP was the popular protest (ie "none of the above") vote at a time when a lot of people seemed pretty pissed off with the mainstream parties and (b) there was probably quite a lot of support for their UK-out-of-Europe stance.

Wonderful though, the largest number of people that we elect to the EU parliament are from the party that says we shouldn't be there.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

I don't think it's automatically xenophobic to want your country to be an independent. Which is the very cornerstone of UKIP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    UnclePsychosis;1099946" said:

I'm sure that's the reason. Personality clashes.

Nothing to do with the fundamental difference in the ideological belief of the future state of the EU. No.

You realise you are making your EU chums sound petty?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom