Brace Yourself... NAD

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9564
edited May 2016 in Amps

Intro

Ok. 

Before I begin, may I add a few caveats to my own situation ?

I’m a valve snob. Love the high end stuff. Tried, played and owned most of them, and currently own a Carr Rambler and a Lazy J J20. I’ve just sold my excellent Matchless Lightning…

Same with pedals. Like many of us, I’ve spent a small fortune on pedals and gear. Had the Gigirig G2, the Salvage Custom board etc etc.

I mainly play at home now, with some small gigs and the accompanying rehearsals. 

I don’t use high gain, and mainly go for great cleans and those clipped/low OD sounds. 

Some of the best sounds I’ve had live have been natural driven amps, and we ALL know this ! But at home volumes, I’ve struggle to get the ‘sound in my head’.

Anyway, having stumbled (much to my amazement) in the incredible Fractal FX8, I thought “why not try some digital/modelling amps’’ ? The traditional, vintage amp snob recoils in horror, BUT it won’t hurt to try will it ?

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/FullSizeRender_19.jpg

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9564
    edited May 2016
    (Part 2)

Testing and Trialling…

So, having recently tried the lovely Carr Lincoln (I really liked it but didn’t love it), I had the chance to try the Yamaha THR100HD with the incredible Ross (from Yamaha) guiding me through it.

Superb sounds, a great gigging amp, and I was SO close to buying it.

Returned to the same dealer next day, to try and buy the 100HD. Whilst there, I thought I’d revisit one of my fave amps (which can be hard to come by) in the form of the Mesa Boogie Express Plus 25. They had a combo and whilst I was there, I thought I’d give it a blast. Loved it again. 

The Express is around £1600 but well worth it, and I thought, yep I’ll take this. In the meantime, A/Bing with the Yamaha, the guy working there brought in the Roland Blues Cube. 

Ok. I’ll give it a spin. I tried the Stage model to start with. Bloody brilliant. Full stop. Loud, powerful, great tones yes GREAT tones.

Then, I tried the slightly louder/bigger/fx loop Artist model (and the even larger 2x12 too). Now, here me right now.

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST AMPS I’VE PLAYED.

Why ?

Well, it does those clipped cleans that Ive been searching for. Easy and very instinctive to use, no stories issues or downsides. It even bloody looks good in the flesh

Maybe, just maybe it lacks the feel, bloom of the Mesa Express sitting alongside it. Only maybe. But still, £1000 cheaper !!

Then, I blended the clean channel and the OD channel on the Blues Cube. The sound in my head. It could virtually copy and mirror the Mesa.

Needless to say. The Blues Cube Artist came home with me…

At home (and still fairly loud) volumes, it can match the Rambler. Now, just hold on and think about that.

MATCH THE RAMBLER ?!?!? Get a grip.

This is a modelling amp costing £699.

Mind blowing.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Blues CUbe 2.jpg

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Warren as I'm the other post, I'm genuinely shocked.
    You know your tones so I'm going to have to check one of these out, never bothered before.
    Have a wiz for actually listening with your ears!
    How you getting on with the Collings? I'm loving the tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Mate, how shocked do you think I am ?

You see, we reject this stuff easily and hear with our eyes if that makes sense... I've done the same.

It's the 2 channel mix (same with the Yamaha THR 100) that works SO well.

The Collings is superb. Delighted with that. I really am...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Now, I find this extremely interesting to say the least. I do want to hear one, but I think looks the part anyway. Did you get the tone module?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    Now, I find this extremely interesting to say the least. I do want to hear one, but I think looks the part anyway. Did you get the tone module?
    Ade, you know me mate - always high end stuff. But this is the cobs...

I didn't get the capsule thingy; i'd be really keen to know what they actually add, and I cannot imagine this being improved on - unless you wanted higher gain sounds.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why the cube over the 100 mate? Was it just better at the lower gain stuff?
    Bloody he'll I hope you get commission because I'm caving now!
    I did have the 100 demoed to me at Birmingham and it sounded immense but we didn't do edge of breakup sounds.
    I've had a boozy lunch. I may order one!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
     I wish they'd included the trem and fx loop on the Stage 60w version. Does it deliver the same tone at every power setting?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I'm genuinely intrigued by this, but it still seems mighty expensive for a far eastern made amp.

Serious question, is it actually worth the high price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Expensive ?? £699 - wow. When it sounds like this, absolute bargain :)
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Bloody hell, @Wazmeister, have you lost the fecking plot?!

Go back and buy that Carr Linclon! 

Next you'll be swapping that Masterbuilt for a Squier Affinity...  ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My plot is well and truly lost :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    edited May 2016
    I think we need to exercise some restraint here.

Warren's a cool guy - and usually displays exemplary taste when it comes to gear - but his typical level of spend must create stresses and perhaps the occasional 'strangeness' is what we're witnessing here.

I'm sure given time to calm down, he'll come to his senses and 'normal' service will be resumed.

In the meantime @Wazmeister, if you need to talk - PM me. I'll happily give you my number straight away. :)
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    :D

You have me looking at demos now, too!

Ha !

No stresses financially here mate, fortunately... Just after good tone. Try one mate.
    Now, where's that Squier catalogue ???
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3309
    The mixed tone - can you liken it to anyone's sound/signature tone or a track? Interesting & enjoy it :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Ade, you know me mate - always high end stuff. But this is the cobs...

I didn't get the capsule thingy; i'd be really keen to know what they actually add, and I cannot imagine this being improved on - unless you wanted higher gain sounds.

is it just the EJ thing in the modules? Either way congrats on the new amp day, you've piqued my interest...
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    Just had a quick check of the posting date... not 01-APR..

To be honest, I can't remember the last I played a valve amp at home for more than a few mins. It's just not practical and a low volume, they tend to suck a bit. Low Watt doesn't help as they need to be cranked to sound good, just that sound happens at a lower volume, and high watt ones (imo) may take pedals better at home, but to make them sing alone, you still need that volume.

In a flat, in a block, with children. I don't think so.

So I've been using modelling at home for years. Sgear was a revelation, through good monitors, it sounds great a low volume, though phones it sounds really nice. Has a few issues though if you want to use it's gain sounds with outboard fx (live), hence why I now have a helix.

So I can see why you have ended up with this route. The videos I've seen of the blues cube make it sound like a decent modelling amp. 

Live I still like valve. There is just an X factor that a good valve amp just has, that makes me enjoy playing more than through the modeling solutions I've tried. 

Happy NAD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I'm genuinely shocked at this. I am going to make a fire out back to dump my Bogner and Friedman!

In all seriousness my buddy @brownovich has a Blues cube after we tried one out at Musicmesse last year. Through headphones I was blown away by the tones and I've always thought about getting one just for that reason - there aren't many amps that actually inspire you to play through 'phones! My favourite tones were as you described too - blending the channels adds a fatness and depth that with single coils (think it was a Roland ready Strat we played it through at the show) hit that SRV break up dead on.

HNAD.