Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Football thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    lloyd said:
    Sesh said:
    axisus said:
    Sesh said:

Good to see Saints have climbed to the top half. Obviously the press were only interested in West Ham being poor rather than the Saints playing well. Par for the course.

Charlie Austin was a good buy. Can't believe that some of the other teams weren't in for him?

The big clubs are never interested in the older English players who have worked their way up the leagues until it is too late. Like Ricky Lambert and Jamie Vardy.

Hopefully Austin will stay injury free and keep scoring.

Like Liverpool and Lambert and Arsenal and Vardy you mean? Lambert was older and Liverpool less of a big club these days, but the point stands.

Theres a reason why the big clubs don't go in for these guys, it's because they're generally not good enough and they can't afford to gamble on them (manager or board). Vardy was clever in not going to Arsenal as he'd have had to change his game or adapt to defences sitting deep, crowds, managers, media demanding wins every game, more media interest/pressure, big price Ag to justify etc, this applies to anyone that moves too, and why it often takes guys a season to slot in and start performing, when you're 28/29 a season to settle in becomes a luxury you can't afford.

David Gold said (Austens) knee was fucked didn't he? Some shit stuck and Saints took a gamble on him, was pleased when he scored, wiped the grin of that fuckers face for sure.
    That's why I said too late. It certainly was for Lambert. Liverpool only bought him out of sentimentality. And it helped them get Lallana and Lovren. It's clear Vardy bottled it but again the big teams waited until he'd had a good EPL season. They're willing to throw 10s of millions at kids they sit on the benches though.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Sesh said:
    lloyd said:
    Sesh said:
    axisus said:
    Sesh said:

Good to see Saints have climbed to the top half. Obviously the press were only interested in West Ham being poor rather than the Saints playing well. Par for the course.

Charlie Austin was a good buy. Can't believe that some of the other teams weren't in for him?

The big clubs are never interested in the older English players who have worked their way up the leagues until it is too late. Like Ricky Lambert and Jamie Vardy.

Hopefully Austin will stay injury free and keep scoring.

Like Liverpool and Lambert and Arsenal and Vardy you mean? Lambert was older and Liverpool less of a big club these days, but the point stands.

Theres a reason why the big clubs don't go in for these guys, it's because they're generally not good enough and they can't afford to gamble on them (manager or board). Vardy was clever in not going to Arsenal as he'd have had to change his game or adapt to defences sitting deep, crowds, managers, media demanding wins every game, more media interest/pressure, big price Ag to justify etc, this applies to anyone that moves too, and why it often takes guys a season to slot in and start performing, when you're 28/29 a season to settle in becomes a luxury you can't afford.

David Gold said (Austens) knee was fucked didn't he? Some shit stuck and Saints took a gamble on him, was pleased when he scored, wiped the grin of that fuckers face for sure.
    That's why I said too late. It certainly was for Lambert. Liverpool only bought him out of sentimentality. And it helped them get Lallana and Lovren. It's clear Vardy bottled it but again the big teams waited until he'd had a good EPL season. They're willing to throw 10s of millions at kids they sit on the benches though.
    Too late though? I'm not sure what that means with Vardy, they need to prove themselves first surely? Vardy didn't bottle it, I think he made the wise choice.

Who are the players you think would do a job at a top club over the last few years?

I'm not sure I can think of many.

Kevin Phillips?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    axisus said:
    Sesh said:

I believe we (West Brom) were but his injury record wasn't the best, so we bought Ricky Bloody Lambert instead. Christ alive that was not our finest scouting hour. I've seen oil tankers turn quicker. I'm pretty sure he's been booked for time wasting when being substituted because the ref didn't realise he was genuinely sprinting off the pitch (possibly)

I think Lambert is one of those players who needs to play every game to stay on form, but now age is getting the better of him so he can't physically do that. Shame, he will always be fondly remembered as one the Saints squad who helped us climb back from League 1. One of the best £1m buys we've done.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    joeyowen said:
    Not many people dislike the saints, well run club who do well after selling lots to liverpool every year

Nothing against West Ham, but can't help wanting something to go wrong with the new ground after getting it so cheap at the expense of tax payers....

works out under 50k a week

Which may be a lot to you and I, but it means some of their players could afford it by themselves...

The nearest supporters are miles from the pitch so it has no atmosphere. The players are more or less the same team who finished 7th last year and I think the crappy atmosphere is the root cause of our shocking results.

....and the three away games that they've lost?.... ;)
  • RobDavies said:
    Neil said:
    joeyowen said:
    Not many people dislike the saints, well run club who do well after selling lots to liverpool every year

Nothing against West Ham, but can't help wanting something to go wrong with the new ground after getting it so cheap at the expense of tax payers....

works out under 50k a week

Which may be a lot to you and I, but it means some of their players could afford it by themselves...

The nearest supporters are miles from the pitch so it has no atmosphere. The players are more or less the same team who finished 7th last year and I think the crappy atmosphere is the root cause of our shocking results.

....and the three away games that they've lost?.... ;)
    Well if they are playing away then the fans at the Olympic stadium are even further away aren't they
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Well this is pretty poor.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm booorrreeddd
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Got the second half on. Quite a physical match, yellow cards flying around like confetti. Horrible crowd booing everything.  Not a lot of good football based on this half. All a bit grim.
    Certainly can't imagine England doing well against a better team. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Wasn't a great watch, I won't get that 90 mins back.. 

Wales games are much better ;) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Every side we play now knows that all they have to do is get 10 men behind the ball, and hope to score on the break.

England don't seem to know how to break down a defence any more.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Up front we're too small and ponderous. It took Townsend to run at them and try and create something.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cut to the chase .. England are shit. I didn't bother watching it .. had a nice pasta and a bottle of wine with the wife. Far more enjoyable..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    When a man would prefer to spend time with his own wife instead of watching the game, you know there is a national crisis 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    joeyowen said:
    When a man would prefer to spend time with his own wife instead of watching the game, you know there is a national crisis 
    Can't argue with that .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Ali > Barkley
  • Sturridge > Kane  
  • Clyne > walker
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Walcot > ??
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    ▲▲ maybe Kodi will end the money go round like Napster killed the record industry. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"