Drums - What software are you lot using

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 298
edited November 2016 in Studio & Recording
I really like the look of Logic Pro X's Drummer, but don't have a Mac, just a PC. So wondered what you PC guys have had the best success with?

I think the main reason I like the Logics Drummer, is that it looks easy to use.

btw, on a slightly different note this really impressed me, done on an IPad

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 774
    edited November 2016
    Mainly Addictive Drums 2 or Steven Slate SSD4 Platinum.

I'm starting to experiment with NI Studio Drummer, now I've got a new more powerful computer because my old computer used to struggle with it.

I also dabble with Jamstix 3

MT Power Drum Kit 2 is a good free one.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 298

This is the video that impressed me, sorry I couldn't get it to work in my first post for some reason.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 14748
    FL Studio with NS Kit 7 loaded into Kontakt.
    Parachutes are great, for dogs and Frenchmen. 
  • BFD3 for me. Helps to know somebody with a discount... ;)
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    Cheers, will look into the ones you have suggested.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 988
    AD2..

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 350
    edited November 2016
    I also don't have a Mac but was impressed with how far you can take the Drummer thing using just Music Memos and GarageBand on iPad.

This was made by recording guitar played on a Blackstar Fly 3 in to Music Memos via the iPhone mic, then exporting to Garageband to massage the drummer settings (changing intensity, switching to toms, claps etc).  Ever since I've been dreaming of building a Hackintosh (allowing export to Logic), because frankly Macs have been a bit crap for a while now.

The nice thing about that workflow is that the drums follow the guitar's tempo and rhythm which is a really pleasant way to work.

On the PC side I've not dabbled much of late but I like Addictive Drums...EZ Drummer etc are pretty similar.
  • Are these all just loopers?
    I use jamstix, have been for years.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2730
    Was using BFD2 for "proper" drums and would like to upgrade to 3 (or more likely 4) when I get a new 'puter.
    Funny thing is though that I've got more into very simple rhythm ideas so in reality I've been using NI's Battery and some really old skool samples.  Big fan of the Linn samples or anything from that era.

• blobbblobb Frets: 939
    SD2 - deliberated for a long time, very impressed.

I use an e-kit via midi.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1308
    I use EZDrummer 2, which is pretty flexible and has good sounds. I don't think it has as many options as BFD, but it works for me. It also comes with loads of midi loops that are often a good starting point if you need a few ideas. 
    I also have NI Battery 3, for which I created my own kit from various samples I'd blagged over the years. I tend not to use it for new compositions, but I keep it for re-visiting older ones. However, every time I run it, I am impressed by how good it sounds - which is probably just down to the quality of the raw samples that I used to create my basic kit. 
    Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 
    Not sure I understand the question.

My approach is to use Kontakt to play the NS Kit sample library. FL Studio lets me build patterns, with each pattern being just one drum or any combination of drums. I can then play the patterns in any useful combination.

I don't generally use drum loops - there are one or two I like, but more commonly I'll sequence each beat in a few patterns, possibly with hats and cymbals in separate patterns from the kick, snare and toms.
    Sporky said:
    Am I right in saying most of these use samples? Or do you painstakingly do them yourself, beat by beat? 

I don't generally use drum loops - there are one or two I like, but more commonly I'll sequence each beat in a few patterns, possibly with hats and cymbals in separate patterns from the kick, snare and toms.

Sometimes loops can be a starting point, but it's good to get inside them to tweak and personalise them. Even 'Four on the floor' type beats can benefit from a bit of sonic massaging - anything adding velocity information to swapping sounds. It's good to mess around. 
    I'm not anti-loop exactly; I've just never found them very inspiring. I don't see any shame in using them though - even straight out of the box - that strikes me as a lot like having a drummer. You give them a tempo and a rough idea of what you want and let them do the detail.
    EZdrummer has a feature that allows you to tap in (roughly) the sort of pattern that you want and then finds the closest ones from it's loop library... not always very successfully, it has to be said, but it can be a starting point, although sometimes it's easier and quicker to just program into your sequencer what you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    The patterns tend to be a few bars long, 'cos someone told me that's how drummers think and I believed them.
    Ok I gotcha, so you build your own patterns then maybe repeat those over a few bars. Cheers!
    The 'trick' is to listen to the actual drumming on records/ watch drummers play. Remember most drummers only have two arms and two legs (or less) so not more than four things can be hit at a time! Also think about accents and how the sounds react to how hard the various bits of kit are being hit. Good use of dynamics can add immeasurably to the drum programming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Toontrack ez drummer ! Very versatile , 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 619
    SSD4 here too.

The stock library is great, but the Blackbird and CLA expansions are fantastic.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3096
    Back in my PC days I used Jamstix - a very impressive piece of software, although it seems that the bigger name stuff now takes a similar approach to creating dynamic patterns.

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19429
    For midi based I have Superior Drummer, SSD, BFD libraries connected to an expanded Roland TD30K kit.

They all sound good but I prefer BFD because it is the closest to being unmixed, so I can mix them the way I would normally mix drums.
    Superior is the most processed sounding and good for rapidly building up tracks that sound reasonably close to a finished product but they have a particular sound that is pretty recognisable.
    Some of the Toontrack expansions are pretty stellar sounding though.

Most of the time I try to record analog drums, which is either a DW Collectors or a Gretsch kit.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• TimmyO said:
    Back in my PC days I used Jamstix - a very impressive piece of software, although it seems that the bigger name stuff now takes a similar approach to creating dynamic patterns.

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    Do packages nowadays have the "brain" that jamstix does? 
    I still think jamstix is fantastic! 
    TimmyO said:

Haven't used jamstix.

if you skip to 3.25 on the video below it shows the different drummers styles...is that kind of what you mean?

TimmyO said:

Since getting Logic I love the Drummer tool in there - mind-bogglingly good and that's before I  you consider it's 'free' with Logic 
    Jamstix 3 is near the top of my list to get mainly because of this "brain", but they reckon from their forum that Jamstix 4 will come out in a few weeks

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7406&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1807
    I've been using Logic Pro X's drummer on most of my stuff, it takes a lot of editing to get it sounding human, but its pretty decent. I'll be going over to Superior Drummer soon though i think, it just has the edge in realism so it'll save me a lot of time in drum comping and hopefully i won't have to use so many plug ins.

At the moment i use Drummer to get a rough feel and groove down, then i'll drag the drummer track over to a midi/audio track, i'll then go through and edit all the velocities, strength and swings for each hit, the i'll separate each drum/cymbal onto its own track, apply the compression and reverbs then sum it all to a stereo channel.

I wish there was an easier way!
    edited April 2017
    Cheers, have also been looking at EZ Drummer 2, and have downloaded the trial/10 day demo but I can't get it to work on the version of StudioOne Artist, I am using...Agghhh!

Looks like I will have to spend £200ish to upgrade to StudioOne Professional to get the bloody 10 day EZ Drummer trial to work.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 22
    I use BFD3 and Addictive Drums for certain things (quick demos with amp sims and their Reel 2 Reel AdPak). I've heard superior drummer is meant to be pretty good, Addictive Drums is OK but BFD has a much better sound and greater flexibility with the samples/fx.