New Gibsons ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2378
Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Not super original but I quite like them.
"It's OK, I've got a baguette..."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 706
    Not bad looking. I think a firebird headstock would of looked cool instead of the typical headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 3011
    TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Look a bit like a prs custom......quite nice too 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 451
    These look quite nice. I'm surprised 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2378
    My first reaction was a Fender Esprit vibe.

If they are sensibly priced (between a SG and a LP ?) they may work well 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1294
    Looks like gibson wants it market share back from PRS. Not bad looking, i'll be interested to see how Gibson evolve the playing experience on their instruments, compared to a lot of newer companies, Gibsons do tend to feel old fashioned.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 306
    Shame they won't innovate with the neck and headstock angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 2937
    They look a bit like the Tak Matsumoto signature, with a less idiosyncratic control layout.  There's even a hint of the old MIII with that continuous line through the cutaways either side of the neck.

I'm not crazy about the impossible-to-reach 24th fret though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 2918
    PRS are looking more like Gibson with 594... And Gibson are looking more like PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1183
    It looks like it's halfway between a Custom 24 and a Mira. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 4156
    I like it a lot, but agree, this would have been the time to "fix" the headstock design/angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2429
    Philly_Q said:
    They look a bit like the Tak Matsumoto signature, with a less idiosyncratic control layout.  There's even a hint of the old MIII with that continuous line through the cutaways either side of the neck.

I'm not crazy about the impossible-to-reach 24th fret though.

I've wanted one of those for a few years now but have never been brave enough to order one from Ishibashi.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 1777
    Not for me, I'm a traditionalist but I think that is a really nice design and miles better than most newish designs around.

Priced right they could be a seller.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 2937
    Adam_MD said:

I've wanted one of those for a few years now but have never been brave enough to order one from Ishibashi.
    Maybe get the much less pricey Epiphone version to see if you like the design in practice?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 24551
    Bleh.

Bland bordering on horrid.

Also looks too much like this, but without the materials innovation...

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/image/guitar/git_gold.jpg
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 7043
    They look like something Aria would make when trying not to infringe on anyone else's designs 

:(
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 2240
    Incredibly incredibly dull 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    They look like something Aria would make when trying not to infringe on anyone else's designs 
    Except that most of those Arias are actually quite stylish :). And have a certain 'family resemblance' usually. I'm probably biased because I own one of their 80s 'skinny Strat' models, but I've always quite liked them.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 1238
    TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Coming soon to Amazon Warehouse at 75% off....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 2346
    it is an interesting thought - Gibson tend to achieve better results when they stick to traditional models - There is an abundance of sales flops from the 50's onwards with Gibson and remember the LP 'Standard' flopped until Eric and Mike played one a few years later - But my point is that if Paul Reed Smith had have designed the Custom 24 as a Gibson employee, or indeed sold the intellectual property right to Gibson, in which case it would be a Gibson Custom 24 then I think it is fair to say it would have flopped

Also remember with these new 'supa dupa' Gibson Guitars that it will be part of the dealer program that the appropriate dealers will have to buy a selection - So Gibson get their sales regardless and with that in mind say 1000 guitars built at £1000 a piece (conserative trade value) then 1 million pounds in the bank - If they don't sell (sorry should have said when they don't sell) then with a 50% plus saving they will all be snapped up
    The have done some good new models though - usually the ones that cleverly blend tradition with innovation, like the ES336/339, and the 275. Or ones that offer classic designs but in a more stripped-down modern form like the Explorer Studio or whatever it was called.

It's just that every now and again they release something which looks like it's trying really hard to alienate as many Gibson fans as possible.

To be fair, nothing will ever trump the Firebird X though.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 14538
    Does Terry Morgan do a 'replica'?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Does Terry Morgan do a 'replica'?
    I nearly asked that Richard but though better of it but will give you a LOL - actually I nearly posted it as 'is there a TM version' so it could be Tom Murphy or Terry Morgan
    edited January 8
    ICBM said:
    The have done some good new models though - usually the ones that cleverly blend tradition with innovation, like the ES336/339, and the 275. Or ones that offer classic designs but in a more stripped-down modern form like the Explorer Studio or whatever it was called.

It's just that every now and again they release something which looks like it's trying really hard to alienate as many Gibson fans as possible.

To be fair, nothing will ever trump the Firebird X though.
    Firebird X is the one isn't it - someone had to spend a lot of money designing and developing that - then when it was launched to the trade we were all called a bunch of Luddites if we did not buy one - I bet even @HarrySeven does not have one
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 6647
    Guitarists really are conservative huh?

When you look at the sheer range of basses available - particularly 'modern' styled - that get a lot of praise, and usage it does starkly contrast with what guitarists will accept.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 363

Hmm...  Id have to play one to really tell but it looks so so...  Depends on what sort of price range it may be going at, if they ever make it that far...

I prefer the other prototype they showed a few years back,  Much more interesting...

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2257_jpg_zpsfc87bf85.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2284_jpg_zps0f81dccd.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2289_jpg_zps105c461b.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 6106
    edited January 8
    Rabs said:
    all that contouring and yet they still left it with a nearly full size heel.  as always with new gibsons, its nearly, but not quite there

I dd like the N-225 a few years back but the trem choice always seemed really odd

anyway, back to the original guitars.  I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

WezV said:

I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

That, right there, is the proof that Gibson don't have a clue what they're doing and that if they do accidentally produce something decent it's just because enough monkeys and enough typewriters will eventually produce literature.

Whereas others can just write.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 363
    WezV said:

I dd like the N-225 a few years back but the trem choice always seemed really odd

anyway, back to the original guitars.  I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

Yeah that 225 thingy..  Very marmite and the pin stripe version even more so...  The natural one is less in your face...

And that black double cut is awesome..  To me that's pretty much the perfect shape.... The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2378
    You're a fucking dour bunch :-) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited January 8
    Rabs said:

The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....

I think you are right in that the DC Standard was not a bad guitar and to a degree their shape - Yet they only really introduced it after Hamer released the Studio Custom and before that the Hamer Sunburst - and remember this design was the original thought plan for PRS