An amazing bit of playing from Zakk Wylde.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Voxman said:
    Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.  Gary Moore had more touch & feel in his little finger nail than Zakk Wylde has in his entire body.
    Being Dead he is insensate so you are wrong on 2 counts there

Gary Moore, deceased, hence passed tense 'had'; Zakk Wylde alive (well, technically) so hence current tense 'has'.  nyanya
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Proper mangle-it-strangle-it guitar playing that's very grin inducing when it comes right, I enjoyed that.

Hearing metallers playing Lick my Love Pump-style piano songs is always amusing too.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Meh, I'll raise you:

Totally awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    the period in the video above he was great, because all the aggression and feel is there, but you can actually hear the notes he's playing.
    These days the vibrato is so over the top that combined with the wah and chorus it's really hard to tell what he's actually trying to play.
    It's a shame, he was such a monster player in the early 90s and how he's a million miles away

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    shaunm said:
    My playing is nothing like Zakk's but about 10/15 years ago he was a massive influence. It's the ferocity of his playing that still grabs me. It is so in your face and aggressive which is what sets him apart from all the other speedy players who sound like they are tickling the strings. 

That all being said his tone and the self indulgent playing puts me off these days (along with rapidly approaching middle age).

This solo, the start is brilliant but the end is virtually the same as all his solos. 

No more tears - That's the definitive ZW isn't it?
    Fucking hell, you can say that again. BLS at Bloodstock 2015 made me fucking cringe. Zakk on his own podium and a ten minute guitar solo to go with it boring the arse off of everybody. Some decent tuneage along the way but the ship has long since sailed.

Saying that, ZW played one of my favourite all time solos (not that there's many I like) on 'No More Tears'. Fucking love that album and Zakk is a big part why.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Absolutely, Dopesick, he had a kind of personal search in those days. The solo on No More Tears is one of my favourite solos - ever. His essence was right there indeed, but there was some more elaboration, he really played with his heart and brains. No Rest For The Wicked, which isn't as well-known as his other material (I reckon any BLS album is more famous than this one) has world class music and supreme solos. He was nearly a kid back then. And highly talented. I'd love a Pride and Glory reunion someday. What an album!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Pride and Glory and No More Tears were amazing. The moment he became a pumped up hells angel marked the end for me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Oooo dear..

It sounds like fingers being scratched down a blackboard to me. 
    Or like the tips of a fork being scraped across a china plate.  :s
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    equalsql said:
    Oooo dear..

It sounds like fingers being scratched down a blackboard to me. 
    Or like the tips of a fork being scraped across a china plate.  :s
    If only 'twere that good! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    IvanMC said:

I'd love a Pride and Glory reunion someday. What an album!
    I agree it's a fantastic album, but I hope there's never a reunion.  They'd make a third-rate album and tarnish the legacy.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
      Went to see Whitesnake years ago at Wolverhampton Civic Hall , i don't normally bother with support bands so didn't turn up early .  Just caught the last 15 minutes of .....Pride and Glory , i was gutted i didn't know who was the supporting before hand .  He should have at least done a couple more albums as P&G , don't think he has done anything as good since .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom