An amazing bit of playing from Zakk Wylde.

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
I don't always like his more recent output, and I'm not the biggest Black Label Society fan, but the solo at 2:35 is quite simply staggering.

I adore it - comes out of nowhere, and the noise is just fabulous. Such a beautiful use of feedback - it sounds almost out of control at first, and the high notes later on sing in a way I've rarely, if ever heard from a guitar. For all his technique, it has soul - he plays it as though any of the notes could be his last.

No idea how he did it either - a Sustainer pickup maybe? Or just standing right next to a cranked Marshall?

Anyway. Hope you enjoy.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I reckon there's no sustainer but I might be talking garbage! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Wah, chorus and a shit-ton of gain. Probably a boss sd1 into a modded Marshall JCM800. 

He was so good around this time. Pride and Glory, early Black Label. Superb. Unmistakeable tone. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Note to self: dig out Fire In The Sky for a blast after listening to this.
  • He uses a massive metal ring to get that wibbly sustain by just lightly sliding or banging it on the string i think
  • Meh. It was alright, I s'pose...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.  Gary Moore had more touch & feel in his little finger nail than Zakk Wylde has in his entire body.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't like that piece but love Zakk 

I don't even like BLS but you cannot deny the guy has a style and tone all of his own. There is a musicality to his soloing that no one else in that genre has. Maybe he is just apeing Randy Rhodes but I never tire of listening to his live work with Ozzy - especially his version of the bark at the moon solo
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2932
    I'm not usually a huge Zakk fan but he does come up with the goods every now and then.

Like @Travisthedog says, he's got his own sound and tons of personality.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    BRING BACK PRIDE & GLORY!!!!!!

Yup, that's what I'd like
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.  Gary Moore had more touch & feel in his little finger nail than Zakk Wylde has in his entire body.
    Being Dead he is insensate so you are wrong on 2 counts there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    edited January 2017
    i hate solos, well I like the Rage against the machine style solos that are interesting and not (imo of course) noodling crap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I imagine that when he recorded that it was ridiculously loud and teacups were juddering in their saucers 300 miles away.
    Hard not to be impressed by his picking - he consciously doesn't go in for legato, if that is the right word, which means picking every single note....Very precise playing. Personally, I think he is losing a huge chunk of expressiveness by not allowing legato into his toolkit, although of course his playing is in all other ways "everything including the kitchen sink".
    I don't love the modulation FX he has on everything - whether it be chorus or flange or phaser, I can never tell - and his playing has long since sunk into self-parody, but....ya know....this is like your local under 11's school football reserves team calling out Pele on a scuffed shot.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    grungebob said:
    i hate solos, well I like the Rage against the machine style solos that are interesting and not (imo of course) noodling crap.
    Struggling to see the point of this comment, in that case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:
    grungebob said:
    I like solos that aren't solos in the classical sense of the word in Rock music. 

From the 80's onwards it all sounds like noodling to me with very little regard for any melody. RATM where the first band I heard that I thought used the solo right. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    grungebob said:
    Bucket said:
    grungebob said:
    I like solos that aren't solos in the classical sense of the word in Rock music. 

From the 80's onwards it all sounds like noodling to me with very little regard for any melody. RATM where the first band I heard that I thought used the solo right. 
    I understand, but I figured you'd expect that from Zakk Wylde, which is why I said I was struggling to see what the point was in posting that. Not that I think it's just noodling anyway - I can definitely hear a melody in it.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I love Zakk and didn't pass up the chance to see him perform when I had it. Some of his material is still world class, but I miss his Pride and Glory version: he was more experimental, as it were, fickle and unpredictable. I think that now he blows you away at once, Pride and Glory gave you a lot to chew on.
  • Meh, I'll raise you:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:
    grungebob said:
    Bucket said:
    grungebob said:

I understand, but I figured you'd expect that from Zakk Wylde, which is why I said I was struggling to see what the point was in posting that. Not that I think it's just noodling anyway - I can definitely hear a melody in it.
    well thats the first time I've heard him play so i came to the conclusion noodling.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Needz mor chugs 'n' squeals.......

Saw Pride and Glory live several times in the day and really liked them, didn't rate BLS as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1618
    My playing is nothing like Zakk's but about 10/15 years ago he was a massive influence. It's the ferocity of his playing that still grabs me. It is so in your face and aggressive which is what sets him apart from all the other speedy players who sound like they are tickling the strings. 

That all being said his tone and the self indulgent playing puts me off these days (along with rapidly approaching middle age).

This solo, the start is brilliant but the end is virtually the same as all his solos. 

No more tears - That's the definitive ZW isn't it?