Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lower wattage amps with good cleans . It's been asked a 1,000 times

What's Hot

Comments

• @Voxman , sounds great with the Les Paul!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2017
    @Voxman , sounds great with the Les Paul!
    As I said its a cracking little amp - the Strat demo had the volume way down at under 2 on the cleans and because the videocam was at the other end of the room, it didn't pick it up quite so well - I'd forgotten that single coils aren't as loud as H/B and that I needed to up the volume.  But remember too, my Cub isn't stock and you could always put a higher headroom speaker in.  The new ones come with an HH speaker which are pretty decent whereas the Rocket 50 mine came with was rubbish, hence the V30 upgrade. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I'd default to the Princeton too given what you ask for. There are a few modern remakes by the booteek fellas too if that is your thing. Used Princetons go about £750+ and rising due to the £/$. If price is the limiting factor a used hot rod deluxe for about £300 gets you 90% there with 40w and slightly heavier overall package.It will cover any gig and go down for home use.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2017
    I'm in € land, so will check on £/$/€ . A hot rod deluxe. I'm familiar with them, so might look into one again. But again, I wouldn't use the overdrive channel at all... or else would use channel 2.

If I could get the hot rod deluxe as a 20 or 30 watt, I'd be happy. Good workhorse of an amp too. Will look into the suggestions above...
  • Are you not just making your life difficult? Surely deciding on the wattage of an amp is the least effective way to pick one?
    try a load of amps, see which sounds best to you, then consider the output volume.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I suppose I wouldn't get a 10 watt amp, it just wouldn't cut it for most gigs.
  • OP, it's a brainer, the 65 fender deluxe reverb reissue is the amp you are looking for but do bear in mind it has no fx loop.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2017
    OP, it's a brainer, the 65 fender deluxe reverb reissue is the amp you are looking for but do bear in mind it has no fx loop.
    I don't mind (no effects loop). I never used one before, always went straight in. Need to raise the $$$ :) 
  • They are a proper tone machine and worth the asking price. Good luck
  • Look at the Laney LH50 - it's a smaller size head with 50 watts of a really sweet clean channel and a pretty usable classic rock crunch channel. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader

I like my Blues Deluxe at home on 2, just got a vol pot attenuator to try as well. Mine's switchable to 6L6/6V6 about 22-25 watts but it's not loads quieter for it, and makes no odds at house levels. I don't use the drive channel although it does a certain thing well when hit hard with a boost.
    I have seen a battered but functional HRD go for 200 squid... decent cleans for £notalot.

I'm not bothered about the vol on two thing, if it sounds good then it's good. And I can gig with it no worries. Not too heavy either, it's not much more than my lad's Blues Jnr.

• Saw a hot rod for real cheap today. I do like the blues junior but probably won't get clean cleans out of it! I had a junior before. Decent amp for the money.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Sorry, but the blues junior is one of the worst sounding and most overpriced amps I've ever played.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Corvus said:

I like my Blues Deluxe at home on 2, just got a vol pot attenuator to try as well. Mine's switchable to 6L6 about 22-25 watts but it's not loads quieter for it, and makes no odds at house levels. I don't use the drive channel although it does a certain thing well when hit hard with a boost.
    I have seen a battered but functional HRD go for 200 squid... decent cleans for £notalot.

I'm not bothered about the vol on two thing, if it sounds good then it's good. And I can gig with it no worries. Not too heavy either, it's not much more than my lad's Blues Jnr.

How is the vol pot attenuator in the loop working out for you, are you still getting a sweet top end or getting a duvet in front of the speaker type sound ?
    tFB Trader
    It's literally just been unwrapped but will post back later or tomorrow after giving it a run.
  • Corvus said:
    It's literally just been unwrapped but will post back later or tomorrow after giving it a run.
    Which one did you buy ? I'm really interested to know how you get on as I returned a hrd III as the clean channel volume was ridiculous.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    how clean?
    proper clean against drums needs 100w
    indie clean 30w
  • Indie clean !
  • Voxman said:
    Sorry, but the blues junior is one of the worst sounding and most overpriced amps I've ever played.
    Overpriced yeah but I found it ok. Saying that , I have no experience of really high end amps 
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Which one did you buy ? I'm really interested to know how you get on as I returned a hrd III as the clean channel volume was ridiculous.

This one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141620893968
    Cheap enough not to bother making one.

So after a very quick run through the BDRI - tone is kept perfectly well, if anything the top end might be very slightly more present. On clean I could get the vol up to 7 and still be at a normal house level, could go more. The response of the amp to playing is that bit nicer, bit more alive, but not a major change. It's just starting to get hairy edge-of-breakup with these low-output pickups I was using (Filtertrons).

The dirt channel on this amp I can only get to around 3 on the master with the Drive at max and a booster pushing it for crunch. Sounds good though. Previously to get the drive channel working it was impossibly loud for the house.

Overall - works fine for house playing at least in this quick go.