Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS addresses 'cult' rumours

What's Hot

Comments

• That's pretty clear then. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What was the stuff being said about them?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that spelt correctly? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    edited February 2017
    I copied his human rights statement and marketed it as my own.

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What was the stuff being said about them?
    Well, that's the heart of it, the statement talks about the company, not the owner. There's been comments about the owner's affiliations which have been ignored in the statement.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    clarkefan said:
    What was the stuff being said about them?
    Well, that's the heart of it, the statement talks about the company, not the owner. There's been comments about the owner's affiliations which have been ignored in the statement.
    That's not a bad question to ask on Facebook!
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    i'm a big devi fan so you can colour me partial in the interests of disclosure.

what i know.

"We have had an issue with a smaller competing pedal company claiming that our Astro Mess Fuzz is a clone of one of their circuits. I want to insure you that all of my hand-built designs are original as well as unique and to not be alarmed if this claim is brought to your attention"
    Josh Scott / JHS

original email here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/jhs-double-barrel-thoughts.447552/page-8

at 1min 00secs:

make your own call about sincerity based on those two things.

devi is who she is & makes the pedals she does because of who she is.  call her unpredictable, chaotic, contrary, eccentric, a witch. she is who she is & i like her.

& at heart i think she is honest.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    7reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd like to hear some details of exactly how they support human rights.It's very easy to post some flimflam about how wonderful they are without any evidence.
    Just saying how wonderful their staff are doesn't really constitute an active support of human rights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    vale said:

what i know.

"We have had an issue with a smaller competing pedal company claiming that our Astro Mess Fuzz is a clone of one of their circuits. I want to insure you that all of my hand-built designs are original as well as unique and to not be alarmed if this claim is brought to your attention"
    Josh Scott / JHS

original email here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/jhs-double-barrel-thoughts.447552/page-8

at 1min 00secs:

devi is who she is & makes the pedals she does because of who she is.  call her unpredictable, chaotic, contrary, eccentric, a witch. she is who she is & i like her.

& at heart i think she is honest
    Devi is no stranger to drama, off the top of my head .... Billy Corgan , Dwarf Craft, Crowd funding console....
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited February 2017
    vale said:

what i know.

Josh Scott / JHS

at 1min 00secs:

Well, sort of. She's pissed away a lot of money building low quality effects pedals, and not delivering on a kickstarter. 

I've seen a devi fuzz and, no kidding, the inside looked as though it had been thrown together. Really, really poor quality work that I would expect to fail fast. 

Jhs (edit for not being so mean) has been known to be affiliated with a church that supports "gay realignment" camps and its probably easier to Google international house of prayer. 

The post they have issued talks about the company - obviously it's up to the owner what he does with his profits, but I'd rather not indirectly support this church that he has links to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Oh god, not this again.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26580
    edited February 2017
    OK, time to pre-emptively don the admin hat...

Everything's cool so far, but...please be mindful in this thread - nothing libellous, please, and try not to let it get too heated.

As you were...
    <space for hire>
  • OK, time to pre-emptively don the admin hat...

Everything's cool so far, but...please be mindful in this thread - nothing libellous, please, and try not to let it get too heated.

As you were...

I'm guessing that, as JHS have used the word "defamatory" in their statement, they've spoken to their lawyers pre-emptively, and so folk should be incredibly careful about what they say.
  • All I know is that JHS and DEVI EVER will never ever be getting any of my money. Lots of people making stuff I'd much rather support.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

• Jhs (edit for not being so mean) has been known to be affiliated with a church that supports "gay realignment" camps and its probably easier to Google international house of prayer. 

The post they have issued talks about the company - obviously it's up to the owner what he does with his profits, but I'd rather not indirectly support this church that he has links to. 
    I did. I don't see anything about "gay realignment".

I suspect that if you did some digging on any American pedal manufacturer you'd probably find an employee who attends a similar church that you'd be "indirectly supporting" with your patronage

It's up to you what you do with your own money, but singling out JHS seems a bit witch-hunty.

I copied his human rights statement and marketed it as my own.

You're doing it wrong. You have to substitute expensive boutique words for some of the boring ones.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• vale said:

I'll take the Dwarfcraft version of events regarding their business dealings with Devi compared to the version bandied around by the queen of shitty fuzz pedals and never finished 8-bit computer games.  

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    vale said:

I'll take the Dwarfcraft version of events regarding their business dealings with Devi compared to the version bandied around by the queen of shitty fuzz pedals and never finished 8-bit computer games.  
    Agreed, the bit in bold is hilarious.
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 2017
    I just posted this comment on the new reddit thread about JHS's statement. Please note the aggressive tone is aimed at that community as they've really gone over the top with their anti-JHS-ness.

In summary my point is - no one knows anything. And for the man to be driven to make a statement is sad. He's been defending himself for years now. Imagine that.

I think everyone needs to give JHS a fucking break.

A lot of talk is going around about Josh Scott "knowingly funding" a hate group.

How do you know he was funding it? Have you seen accounts proving he made donations?

How do you know that he knew it was a hate group? Think of all the people who get tricked into Scientology. Did anyone see that AMA with Leah Remini?

Maybe it was his local church and he wanted to get involved. Maybe he figured out what was going on and left in 2013 before anyone even picked up that he was part of IHOPKC, and he's receiving shit now for a mistake he's made in his past.

How many of you have made mistakes? Do you feel that someone you don't know should punish you for that mistake? If you owned a company, and people's wages depended on you, do you think that it's fair that those people's livelihoods are at risk because of people punishing you for a previous mistake?

His CDs were for sale with IHOPKC, so what? Do you know that he's constantly giving them new stock of his CDs? Chances are he gave them 200 copies in 2011 and they haven't sold out yet. Also I can't find these CDs online - where are they for sale?

He's appeared on stage with, or been listed as a worship leader. Fine. In any of the videos that he's in, are they preaching anything other than standard Christian stuff? If he was seen/videoed at a homosexual 'curing' clinic that would be a different matter but... he hasn't.

We don't know about his life or his circumstances. We only know what we've been told by other people, on the fucking internet (the most unreliable source of information, ever), and what we've seen in a scant number of videos, in which he takes a passive role playing acoustic guitar in the background.

My point is - you don't know shit. No one does. And we have no right making assumptions or claims about his beliefs that could negatively effect his life, or the lives of the people he employs.

As for clones - give me a break. Everyone clones. Everyone. As for that Devi Ever thing, whatever. She doesn't seem so reputable herself. From what I've read. On the fucking internet.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    singling out JHS seems a bit witch-hunty.
    It's only witch-hunty if the target hasn't actually done anything...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom