Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS addresses 'cult' rumours

What's Hot

Comments

• JHS is just a good company trying to make some money.  Josh is a stand-up God fearing American and there's nothing wrong with that and he should be proud of the good work he does. 

His pedals certainly are used by a lot P&W players (I follow the P&W pedalboard threads on TGP religiously) because those guys know good tone more than anyone else. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:
    singling out JHS seems a bit witch-hunty.
    It's only witch-hunty if the target hasn't actually done anything...
    Agreed. 

What has he done? 
    The pair of them (I wasn't just singling out Josh). Feel free to read through the other JHS threads to find out (CBA to repeat what's already been posted here more than a couple of times). Devi has been equally dubious taking a load of cash for a kick starter and using the money (she at least admitted it!) for other things like living expenses instead, so couldn't pay anyone back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:
    juansolo said:
    Agreed. 

What has he done? 
    The pair of them (I wasn't just singling out Josh). Feel free to read through the other JHS threads to find out (CBA to repeat what's already been posted here more than a couple of times). Devi has been equally dubious taking a load of cash for a kick starter and using the money (she at least admitted it!) for other things like living expenses instead, so couldn't pay anyone back.

Why is it OK to post what Devi has been up to, when it's been discussed on here before, but not what JHS has been up to, when that's also been discussed before?  I'm genuinely curious as to why you're making a difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • because those guys know good tone more than anyone else. 

Do they?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • because those guys know good tone more than anyone else. 

Do they?

Yeah, some of those P&W players have killer tones, their rigs sound massive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    edited February 2017

because those guys know good tone more than anyone else. 

Do they?

Yeah, some of those P&W players have killer tones, their rigs sound massive.
    But the devil has the best tunes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, some of those P&W players have killer tones, their rigs sound massive.
    But they play some of music which is so bad it makes 'A Whole New World' by Peter Andre & Katie Price seem like 'Revolver' the Beatles.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

juansolo said:
    juansolo said:
    Agreed. 

What has he done? 

Why is it OK to post what Devi has been up to, when it's been discussed on here before, but not what JHS has been up to, when that's also been discussed before?  I'm genuinely curious as to why you're making a difference. 

Oh FFS, because this has been gone over and over and over and over.

Josh was a well known DIYer who when he went 'pro' used to etch straight copies of Madbean PCBs and sell them as his own designs. Usual boutique bullshit. This is not copying a schematic, this is copying copyrighted (essentially) layout designs which is actually illegal, but as it was from a bloke on the internet, it's not actually something you can afford to do anything about. Nothing about his original output was anything other than him sticking Bean effects in a box and selling them as his own. What he has done since is usually just clone other people's stuff and pass it off as his own. Again, yes this happens.

All the cult shit I couldn't give a fuck about.

Learn how to use the search engine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:

juansolo said:
    juansolo said:
    Agreed. 

What has he done? 

Oh FFS, because this has been gone over and over and over and over.

Josh was a well known DIYer who when he went 'pro' used to etch straight copies of Madbean PCBs and sell them as his own designs. Usual boutique bullshit. This is not copying a schematic, this is copying copyrighted (essentially) layout designs which is actually illegal, but as it was from a bloke on the internet, it's not actually something you can afford to do anything about. Nothing about his original output was anything other than him sticking Bean effects in a box and selling them as his own. What he has done since is usually just clone other people's stuff and pass it off as his own. Again, yes this happens.

All the cult shit I couldn't give a fuck about.

Learn how to use the search engine.

It seemed you were quite happy sticking the knife in Devi but didn't want to say anything negative about Josh yourself.  The Devi stuff has also "been gone over and over and over and over."

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    A very interesting read here; a little at odds with Josh's statements

https://web.archive.org/web/20130108015442/http://worshipleader.com/jhs-pedals

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• If you like the pedals, buy the pedals if you don't, then don't. Simple.

It's good to be informed of the ethics of these things but do we really need to re-hash this whole argument? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • Gassage said:

Yeah that is interesting. Still not entirely conclusive, and he mentions he was a pastor in his previous town but doesn't mention for which religious organisation.

it's possible he saw IHOP for who they were and left in 2013. Who can say...?
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • Yeah, some of those P&W players have killer tones, their rigs sound massive.
    But they play some of music which is so bad it makes 'A Whole New World' by Peter Andre & Katie Price seem like 'Revolver' the Beatles.
    Yeah the music is bad, but some of the tones are Landau 90s LA session quality. 

• If you like the pedals, buy the pedals if you don't, then don't. Simple.

It's good to be informed of the ethics of these things but do we really need to re-hash this whole argument? 
    We all love a good witch hunt on here, and we like to concentrate more on the negative than the positive.  We are like a bunch of middle aged women bitching during their lunch break.  

It seemed you were quite happy sticking the knife in Devi but didn't want to say anything negative about Josh yourself.  The Devi stuff has also "been gone over and over and over and over."

Again, sticking the knife in / witch hunting... All making out the two of them are victims which they are not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    Gassage said:

Yeah that is interesting. Still not entirely conclusive, and he mentions he was a pastor in his previous town but doesn't mention for which religious organisation.

He can say, but he isn't. Probably, it's because the less he admits to, the less he can put off people who haven't seen that interview and haven't put the whole ihop story together. Downside of that is, he's coming across as unrepentant (lol) to people who know what he said and thus see through the recent statement.
  • Gassage said:

NOTE: I've previously posted in here as in my admin capacity, but what follows is my own personal opinion on these things.

I think the bit about the ministry moving more towards the business side is something of an indicator that the two are linked - whether he's talking about his ministry or IHOP's is debatable, but it does seem like there is/was far more of a tightly-coupled relationship between the religious part of his life and the business side than he's trying to let on.

For an alternative view, he might be skewing his interviews and statements towards his audience - when he's talking to a religious publication, they're tightly-linked and he practices what he preaches. When he's talking to a far less religious audience, they're nothing to do with each other and he's scrupulously squeaky-clean.

If that's the case, it seems even more disingenuous to me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JHS used to make lovely fags.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom