Plectrum/Pick.....what's your flavour ? Opinions please

What's Hot

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Tortex green.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Jazz iii xl and the red ones aren't too hard to spot when dropped.
  • Red jazz iii since my first guitar lesson. I've tried lots of other picks, but I've got so used to them I can't change.
    I got close to switching about 2 years ago with V picks, my favourite was a venom, the problem is when you lose them. The one I liked was £7 for one! Stuff that! I bought a massive bag of jazz iii's from someone on here, that'll last me a couple of years.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Another vote for the petrucci jazz III,i made a slight mod to them by hole punching some small 180 grit sand paper disk's to superglue to the body as grip points i find them far to slippy without it

I'll also use the Dave gel's if i want something with a little less attack
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    This seems a bit meaningless unless you say what you are doing with it.

I use black tortex ones.

Normal shape and various medium thicknesses for arpeggios and clean noodling.

Pointy thick jazz III when the gain is up and I pretend I can shred.
  • Dunlop nylon 1mm. Used to use 0.88 but found them to flexible. I use 0.73mm for acoustic 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Jazz III grippy for me.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Herco .75 and Pickboy carbon nylon .75. I've been tempted to go heavier though so might try 1mm picks in the near future.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I'm a Tortex Yellow kinda guy, and on occasion I'll rock a Dunlop Stubby :)
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    Dunlop Nylon 0.88mm - used them for over 30 years.
    the plectrum breakfast of champions. 20 years for me.
    firm, neither solid or flimsy. doesn't smash or tickle the strings but gives a nice firm push & stroke forward & back. & you get nice feedback through the way it flexes in your fingers. & nice grip, so even if you are sweaty or tired you never drop it. have tried lots of others but can't beat an '88 for guitar.
    only thing i don't like is they are mid-grey which is a bit boring. some nicer colour '88s please.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Jazz stubbies 2mm or 3mm.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Tortex green small teardrop. Sometimes I use Tortex blue. I am very fickle.

Switched to tortex when the Faux Tortoise became extinct.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Black Jazz ii's - Stiffo's or whatever they are called...used to use the red's but I'm finding the blacks give a bit brighter attack which makes a huge difference with gainy stuff.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Normal green .88 tortex for me, been using them for years and everything else feels weird. I use thicker gator grips on bass.
  • vale said:
    firm, neither solid or flimsy. doesn't smash or tickle the strings but gives a nice firm push & stroke forward & back. & you get nice feedback through the way it flexes in your fingers. & nice grip, so even if you are sweaty or tired you never drop it. have tried lots of others but can't beat an '88 for guitar.
    only thing i don't like is they are mid-grey which is a bit boring. some nicer colour '88s please.
    I might get some to try as I've gone from 1.0mm to .88mm on my own plectrums, quick look at amazon says the grey .88 nylons are the plectrum of choice of Glenn Tilbrook!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vale said:
    Those are exactly the reasons I like them as well.

I agree about the colour - something a little less drab would be nice....
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Tortex green for me. I use the "shoulders" rather than the point for some reason, so they last twice as long for me, and then I can pass them on to someone else!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Finger nails. I seem to have more control without a pick than with. Works ok for Mark Knopfler, Wilko, Jeff Beck, etc so I reckon I'm in fairly illustrious company.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I've been using Swisspicks sharp cheddar jazz mini for about a year , they look like a gimmick but they do seem to grip better. 

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I'm with the other stars that use Dunlop Nylon .88

Been using them for a good 25-30 years. Before that it was green and yellow tortex (I still have a tin with all the ones I was gigging with in the early 80s!).

I do have supplies of new yellow, orange, and green tortex, plus various others - a Red Bear, some metal things, some homemade ones, some sixpences, all sorts - they all sound different, and sometimes you want different when trying to get a specific sound on an overdub you're doing or something.

But when it comes down to it, Nylon .88 is my "go to" favourite for electric guitar with a pick. Feels nice and organic, digs in nicely without getting too scratchy on strats and teles, matches my fingers etc when I fingerpick.

I switched to these when I read about the picks Rory Gallagher was using. Herco, or something? Can't remember... Anyway, someone explained that Dunlop Nylon were the closest I could get. So I gave them a try and suddenly I started getting the Rory sounds I'd been lusting over, as an added bonus I stopped breaking so many strings too, so I stuck with them ever since.