Shin ei fy-2 here

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
A friend sent this over to check out and keep if I like. Tried it briefly and sounds cool (very like the Kills or Raveonettes, mid heavy squawk) but not sure if I should use it or sell. Only thing is that the footswitch is intermittent in the on mode and I'm not sure if I should get an exact replacement or if a modern true bypass switch will devalue it? 

Opinions?
@timhulio

http://i.imgur.com/KAateec.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dDRNwDy.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I like these lots! These are only slightly above unity volume, so I like to add a small booster at the end of the circuit when making clones etc.

Take note, the battery drains if you keep a jack in the output, not the input like most other pedals.

They're already true bypass, but use a dpdt stomper because there's no LED. This switch is a direct replacement and is far better quality than the ol' blue 3PDT switches you usually see.
    https://www.rapidonline.com/taiwan-alpha-sf12011f-0202-20r-l-011-dpdt-latching-action-foot-switch-78-0744
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Kimbara branded one of these here. It also has a dicky switch, oddly enough. I'll have a look at some point and see if it's easy to disassemble/clean.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    sell it. some collector-obsessive will give you molto lolly for the original sticker & fancy box.
    fredric effects (that's tim right?) does decent modestly-priced copies which will sound easily as good if not even better because old caps die young. fresh caps will add a dimension.
    a basic booster circuit (lpb1) is a useful & common mod on these as they can be quiet. tim may add that as standard.
    or buy a pcb from fuzzdog & make your own. it's a tiny circuit. a couple of transistors only.
    i am seriously shit at electrics but i made a fuzzdog one & it works great.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited February 2017
    Cheers Tim, I might try and open mine up too, then again I've wasted ages in the past trying to fix things that were best off replaced haha.

Your own clone looks excellent.

@vale I don't have any other bits and the switch is knackered and quite used so not sure how much it would fetch. Will probably A-B with my fulltone fuzz and see... then again I want a belle epoch so...
    tFB Trader
    Thanks! The one in the pic is actually an FY-2 and FY-6 Superfuzz in the FY-2 type enclosure. I do just the FY-2 in a standard size/shape box.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    You can fix it using the existing switch.

Disconnect the wires, rotate the switch through 180º and re-connect as it is now, except that instead of the straight link across the bottom, connect two wires (not touching each other) in a 'X' between the lower four terminals.

Essentially what you will have done is moved the problem to the bypass, but then fixed it by paralleling the switch poles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Clever!
  • @ICBM will try that, sounds clever cheers
  • I've got a little boost circuit built in to mine as suggested by timhulio. It's not a everyday fuzz but I love it. I'd say keep it but make sure any mods are reversable.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Am I right in thinking this is the one that the EQD terminal is based on?
  • Update: I took @ICBM s advice and his fix worked perfectly! Mucked around with some noisy Black Keys riffs, fun