Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    wow
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited February 2017
    He who controls the press controls people's thinking. See page 13 of the 'Today's Trumpy Tantrum' thread.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94684/todays-trumpy-tantrum/p13

Interesting that he's used that contentious 'enemy of the people' phrase again. Hitler used it when referring to the Jews and Mao used it against the press.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll give it a wow as well. WTTF has he got against the Daily Mail? You'd think he'd be a fan. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I'll give it a wow as well. WTTF has he got against the Daily Mail? You'd think he'd be a fan. 
    Not right-wing enough possibly. Or simply not in the inner circle of chosen outlets he wants to use to re-educate America.

HAL9000 said:
    He who controls the press controls people's thinking. See page 13 of the 'Today's Trumpy Tantrum' thread.
    That saves me re-posting that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    This is the way we change the world,
    Change the world,
    Change the world...

That's some list of people chucked out - but Fox in?  I thought he hated Fox (or was it just their female reporters?)

So now, anything printed by those NOT invited can be instantly repudiated - "You weren't there, you can't comment!".

Clever shit, keeps his own side sweet, and effectively side-lines the "enemy" press.

Rednecks marching in the streets soon - look out, liberals!

ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    That saves me re-posting that :).
    Sorry @ICBM - not trying to steal your lines.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    This is starting to look too much like fascism for comfort.

The man is fucking dangerous.  
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody hell. 

The press doesn't help itself though - there is so much bullshit news about that it's been really easy to convince voters that everything is just more lies, even when it's not. 

Pewdiepie was labelled a nazi by the wall street journal and they tried to have him sacked without asking him for comment first - all on the back of very carefully selected, out-of-context jokes (that he has already apologised for but frankly were not that bad, bar one). 

All that has done is show a younger generation that the media, the wall street journal for fuck sake, can't be trusted to provide the news. And the more the media does this, for headlines and click throughs, the easier it will be for thus kind of shit to happen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    So, the man who exaggerated the size of his inauguration crowds, talked about what happened in 'Sweden last night', and claimed that  Barack Obama wasn't born in the US, is upset by the media organisations which he claims put out fake news.
  • Nitefly said:
    This is the way we change the world,
    Change the world,
    Change the world...

That's some list of people chucked out - but Fox in?  I thought he hated Fox (or was it just their female reporters?)

So now, anything printed by those NOT invited can be instantly repudiated - "You weren't there, you can't comment!".

Clever shit, keeps his own side sweet, and effectively side-lines the "enemy" press.

Rednecks marching in the streets soon - look out, liberals!

Fox is in an interesting position. Some elements have been critical of Trump and specific advisors. Shep Smith led the way on that. 

http://www.mediaite.com/online/shep-smith-breaks-down-the-differences-between-cnn-and-fake-news-they-are-not-fake-news/

The hiring of Nigel Farage by Fox was a placating decision. 

• Bloody hell. 

The press doesn't help itself though - there is so much bullshit news about that it's been really easy to convince voters that everything is just more lies, even when it's not. 

Pewdiepie was labelled a nazi by the wall street journal and they tried to have him sacked without asking him for comment first - all on the back of very carefully selected, out-of-context jokes (that he has already apologised for but frankly were not that bad, bar one). 

All that has done is show a younger generation that the media, the wall street journal for fuck sake, can't be trusted to provide the news. And the more the media does this, for headlines and click throughs, the easier it will be for thus kind of shit to happen. 

And you have to ask why the WSJ reacted in the manner that you'd expect from a left-wing newspaper. The WSJ is pro-free market, wasn't a lover of Obama, influential in conservative circles. Spacking off about Pewdiepie in a Graniad manner is quite out of character. 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    edited February 2017
    Bloody hell. 

And you have to ask why the WSJ reacted in the manner that you'd expect from a left-wing newspaper. The WSJ is pro-free market, wasn't a lover of Obama, influential in conservative circles. Spacking off about Pewdiepie in a Graniad manner is quite out of character. 
     And a multi millionaire being paid by Disney should probably make sure his videos don't contain anything antisemitic (if taken out of context) (conversely ... Disney should probably probably not pay people like PewDiePie to make content as he's a bit of a dick when it comes to not thinking through his content...)

WSJ needs to sell copy, and the story probably sold advertising inches ... and PewDiePie hasn't lost out - he's still gaining subscribers faster than he can shed them... his numbers are up over-all he's only lost contracts that having images of what he included (context or not!) would have been yanked from him in time. So everyone gained out of it 

--Edit-- 

Actually, Trump has benefited from the press ... with all the attacks, etc. He has had his face on every paper, every screen and every computer since throwing his hat into the ring - he's only now learning that they don't stop after the election, it's more than his tiny hands can hold and his thin skin can only take so much... so now it's time to begin the purges and putsches to stop the mean men and women saying mean thing to a toddler with nukes
  • Myranda said:
    Bloody hell. 

And a multi millionaire being paid by Disney should probably make sure his videos don't contain anything antisemitic (if taken out of context) (conversely ... Disney should probably probably not pay people like PewDiePie to make content as he's a bit of a dick when it comes to not thinking through his content...)

WSJ needs to sell copy, and the story probably sold advertising inches ... and PewDiePie hasn't lost out - he's still gaining subscribers faster than he can shed them... his numbers are up over-all he's only lost contracts that having images of what he included (context or not!) would have been yanked from him in time. So everyone gained out of it 

--Edit-- 

Actually, Trump has benefited from the press ... with all the attacks, etc. He has had his face on every paper, every screen and every computer since throwing his hat into the ring - he's only now learning that they don't stop after the election, it's more than his tiny hands can hold and his thin skin can only take so much... so now it's time to begin the purges and putsches to stop the mean men and women saying mean thing to a toddler with nukes

Doesn't stop is from being an attempt at character assassination. I agree about Disney, mind - he doesn't seem to fit them...

That's sort of my point - an attempt at assassination that focuses on something small and easily disproven (okay, with trump it's a wee bit different) just boosts the person you're taking down. People focusing on shit trump said or did years ago is meaningless and irrelevant - but it gave him plenty of column inches and a perfect excuse to shut the press down. The fact the news outlets hire people who are hypocrites and have an online record that often contradicts themselves doesn't help either.

Basically, if you're a journo right now,it's a good time to check yourself. If you want to post news, make it good and make it reliably sourced. 

I love this place
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    Davy Boy did it better.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Myranda said:

"If taken out of context". Which it was. 

The WSJ sells well. A story about a twatty Youtube gamer is not going to bring them some huge wodge of revenue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I'll give it a wow as well. WTTF has he got against the Daily Mail? You'd think he'd be a fan. 
    The mail had it coming. It effectively 'trolls' its readership into forwarding links to its website to their contacts. It relies on outraging its readership against a bogey man instead of actually reporting the news. It seems there is a paradox that the 'wake up call' towards politicians that the media have reported over Brexit, Trump, Le Pen, Wilders & Hofer is being ignored by media trying to create news not report the news. The media cannot keep the likes of Trump honest if they get barred from positions because they didn't keep their own houses in order. Hopefully the remaining outlets will check and double check and make sure they do not give this imbecile any justification to ban any more reporters from privileged positions. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    HAL9000 said:

Sorry @ICBM - not trying to steal your lines.
    I don't mind if you do .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Bloody hell. 

Rekt.

HAL9000 said:
    So, the man who exaggerated the size of his inauguration crowds, talked about what happened in 'Sweden last night', and claimed that  Barack Obama wasn't born in the US, is upset by the media organisations which he claims put out fake news.
    Erm, but I think you'll find that t did happen in Sweden, erm....just a few days after he said it happened.