What have I done? Guitar sounds awful..

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh, and give each string a good pull and snap to make sure the slack is taken up at the tuner end. Will stabilise the tuning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    If it was the saddles causing the sitar sound it would still be there when the string was fretted wouldn't it?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I put graphite in every slot, there isn't any crud in the saddles that I can see, Ill try raising the saddles slightly. They are the standard saddles with the slots.
    robgilmo said:
    If it was the saddles causing the sitar sound it would still be there when the string was fretted wouldn't it?
    In all probability, but good to discount everything ;)

Don't forget the string angle at the saddle changes when you fret it (albeit minutely)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    The nut... does it look anything like this?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BS8AAOSwMNxXZnQA/s-l1600.jpg
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No the slots are much tighter than that, they don't seem to be cut in a V shape.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    robgilmo said:
    It was left on the guitar and he filed down each individual groove
    You wanted to lower the action at the nut and he thought the best way to achieve that would be to file down each nut slot?
    That is generally the way it is done unless there is a lot to remove.
    Correct size files and care to keep the slot angled right and remove any burrs, and smooth the slot to remove file marks and maybe a little lube like Nut sauce

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Brize said:
    robgilmo said:
    It was left on the guitar and he filed down each individual groove
    You wanted to lower the action at the nut and he thought the best way to achieve that would be to file down each nut slot?
    As FelineGuitars said, it is the correct method if there's not much to take off - but if it's a Squier the nut is probably not great quality, so if you go too far on one of the slots it's probably better to replace the nut rather than try to fill the slot - which is something I would generally only do on a vintage guitar or something else where you don't really want to replace the nut if you can avoid it.

Of course it's really a lot better to not go too far in the first place! Although mistakes do happen even with a lot of experience...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think I'd be going for a new nut...
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    No offence to the guy you took it too, but thats an awful awful job - you need a new nut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    No offence to the guy you took it too, but thats an awful awful job - you need a new nut
    I was trying to be polite in my response ;)
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841

Cunning. You do a dodgy job on the nut to distract the customer so he doesn't notice you've swapped the pickups for terrible cheap ones.

Seriously, though, have you discussed this with the tech that did it? You should at least give him the chance to respond, even if you've decided you don't want him to rectify.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2017
    According to Joe White - most of the guitar's resonance comes from the neck+headstock - not the body. It seems that the majority of your work is neck based. Try a heavier string weight - you can get half sizes now...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Yup, I'd replace the nut.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    robgilmo said:
    So I had a local tech lower the nut height, I collected it yesterday evening but didn't get a chance to play it when I got home.
    Tonight I lowered the action slightly at the bridge.

There is no buzzing, it feels nice to play, but through the amp it just sounds awful, its hard to describe but it sounds muddy, echoing kind of sound. On the clean channel on the amp its not too bad but the slightest little but of distortion on the other channel and it sounds very wrong.

Ive noticed that the saddles on the high E and B strings are sitting really very low and don't exactly follow the same curvature or radius as the rest, could that be the problem?

Ive had a play with the pick up height and it seems to make no difference. Its a Squier tele standard.

Ill have another play with the action of the E and B strings and see if that changes anything.

Any ideas ?
    There's your issue.
    What a pissy reply.  Thankfully others have been more helpful.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    So I had a local tech lower the nut height, I collected it yesterday evening but didn't get a chance to play it when I got home.

There is no buzzing, it feels nice to play, but through the amp it just sounds awful, its hard to describe but it sounds muddy, echoing kind of sound. On the clean channel on the amp its not too bad but the slightest little but of distortion on the other channel and it sounds very wrong.

Ive noticed that the saddles on the high E and B strings are sitting really very low and don't exactly follow the same curvature or radius as the rest, could that be the problem?

Ive had a play with the pick up height and it seems to make no difference. Its a Squier tele standard.

Ill have another play with the action of the E and B strings and see if that changes anything.

Any ideas ?
    There's your issue.
    It's a long running @professorben joke... I don't think it was pissy... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    robgilmo said:

Any ideas ?
    There's your issue.
    I'm here all week  ;)

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the input guys, Ill order up a new nut for it. Any recommendations? Its 42 mm with 34 string spacing.
    What kind of work will a new pre cut nut need? I can borrow a set of files. Unfortunately the tech I know and trust lives in the far side of London so it might be that Ill be doing this myself. At least if I fluff it up I have only myself to blame. I'm aware that the angle from nut to tuning peg is an issue, anyone want to talk me through it?