Buffalo FX TD-X v Buffalo Evolution

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
It seems there are a lot of admirers of Buffalo FX on the FB, I'm currently looking at the above, which is the most versatile of the two? Plenty of gain on tap? Great at low gain and perfect for aggressive huge fat lead tones?
Most important of all would they work with a clean amp like a Princeton RI? Andy from PGS did a really nice demo through a Deluxe Reverb RI. Is the Patriot worth looking at also?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Difficult choice as they're both excellent. Whilst they overlap each other to a certain extent I'd see the TD-X as an OD and the Evo as a distortion, however both can do low gain right up to fuzz like territory. They both work famously with clean amps. Get both, it's the only answer.
    The Patriot is a HUGE muff type thing, and completely different, immense fun though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonk said:
    Difficult choice as they're both excellent. Whilst they overlap each other to a certain extent I'd see the TD-X as an OD and the Evo as a distortion, however both can do low gain right up to fuzz like territory. They both work famously with clean amps. Get both, it's the only answer.
    The Patriot is a HUGE muff type thing, and completely different, immense fun though.
    Many thanks for the advice... darn it! can only afford one so it looks like I'll flip a coin to decide out of the two
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    Many thanks for the advice... darn it! can only afford one so it looks like I'll flip a coin to decide out of the two
    To get the sounds in your other recent thread I'd probably favour the Evolution... it's a bit more RAT like.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Tricky call. I've had both at the same time but now only have the TD-X. 
    They are both great and will do low to high gain,  soaring solos and both clean up well off your guitar volume. 

The TD-X can get cleaner which is partly why it's the one i still have. 
  • The TD-X won hands down for me, I preferred the tone. Sounds phenomenal with humbuckers. And yes, cleans up lovely.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Jumping pn this thread as I'm also curious, for those that have used them, how much midrange push do they have, is it fairly flat or is there a bump, how does it compare say to a Rat in this regard?
  • Great responses thanks chaps!
  • The TD-X won hands down for me, I preferred the tone. Sounds phenomenal with humbuckers. And yes, cleans up lovely.
    Did The RYRA work well with the TD-X or Evolution?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I never tried it with the Evolution, I sold it pretty much within hours of trying it. The RYRA works well with everything! :-)

dindude said:
    Jumping pn this thread as I'm also curious, for those that have used them, how much midrange push do they have, is it fairly flat or is there a bump, how does it compare say to a Rat in this regard?
    TD-X packs more midrange.
  • Apart from Joes pedals are there any other UK suppliers of Buffalo FX?
    Apart from Joes pedals are there any other UK suppliers of Buffalo FX?
    Nope, just Joe.
  • simonk said:
    Apart from Joes pedals are there any other UK suppliers of Buffalo FX?
    Nope, just Joe.
    Cheers mate! Got a feeling there's going to be a bit of a wait!
  • I never tried it with the Evolution, I sold it pretty much within hours of trying it. The RYRA works well with everything! :-)
    Another question on the RYRA did you place it before or after the TD-X
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited March 2017
    I never tried it with the Evolution, I sold it pretty much within hours of trying it. The RYRA works well with everything! :-)
    You missed mine by a day! 

RYRA always sat last in my chain.

EDIT: and I put a TD-X in front of the M-1, which is glorious

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    dindude said:
    The contour dial on the Evolution controls mids. I struggled to get a lead tone to cut through from a variety of different Muff style pedals but the Evolution is spot on and I'd give it the edge over the TD-X for mids and comparable to a Rat in terms of mid frequency range although both are much smoother.

Neither of them are nasal,  but both cut through well. 
    I think the TD-X is ultimately a bit more flexible but you really can't go wrong with either. 
    Great pedals. 
    You missed mine by a day! 

RYRA always sat last in my chain.

EDIT: and I put a TD-X in front of the M-1, which is glorious
    I Know darn it! that is some list you have there 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Beexter said:
    dindude said:
    The contour dial on the Evolution controls mids. I struggled to get a lead tone to cut through from a variety of different Muff style pedals but the Evolution is spot on and I'd give it the edge over the TD-X for mids and comparable to a Rat in terms of mid frequency range although both are much smoother.

Neither of them are nasal,  but both cut through well. 
    I think the TD-X is ultimately a bit more flexible but you really can't go wrong with either. 
    Great pedals. 
    Cool, was a bit worried they wouldn't match with a Fender type amp, but now very curious.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited March 2017
    I have a td-x which I'll sell. Pm me if interested
  • I'm absolutely set on getting a Buffalo TD-X, is it overkill to get the Evolution to go with it? or shall I opt for something like the Arc Effects Soothsayer for more of Rat flavour?