Modifying my ridiculous Ibanez - need advice

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited March 2016 in Guitar
Hello folks.

I have had this wonderfully mad Ibanez RG550XH for a few months:

It's a really cool guitar, I like it a lot. But I've never intended for it to remain stock, I want to change some stuff on it. The wiring is funny - despite the HS setup it has a 5-way switch, because there's an active circuit simulating a neck pickup. I never really use it, it doesn't sound bad but it's not quite right. I'd rather have a 3-way switch and just the two pickups, no active gubbins at all. Pickups-wise, I'd go for some red DiMarzios probably - some kind of high-output screaming monster humbucker at the bridge, but I'm torn between a single-coil and a SC-sized humbucker at the "neck"... middle really isn't it. 

Or should I go for some different pickups? What's not too expensive that you'd recommend? Bright colours are a necessity :D Speaking of which, anyone fancy chiming in with a colour suggestion for the pickups? I was thinking red but what else might look suitable?

I've found a wiring diagram for an earlier 30-fret model Ibanez made - I don't know if the circuit is the same on mine but here it is:

The thing is, I was talking to a guitar playing mate of my dad's about this and he told me that with "curiosity" guitars like this, it may be worth keeping it original or at least only doing reversible mods in case it starts going up in value at some point. So in the event that I ever want to turn this back to stock, how might I be able to just bypass this active circuit without actually removing it altogether?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28431
    An alternative approach would be to investigate getting a second scratchplate and loading that with the setup you want, then bagging up the entirety of the original electronics so you can go back to stock later.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sporky said:
    An alternative approach would be to investigate getting a second scratchplate and loading that with the setup you want, then bagging up the entirety of the original electronics so you can go back to stock later.
    Hadn't thought of that - could be a goer!
    Or re-use the scratchplate but get an entire new set of electronics to mount to it, then keep the originals in a box. Or a bag. Probably not a jar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17640
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Or re-use the scratchplate but get an entire new set of electronics to mount to it, then keep the originals in a box. Or a bag. Probably not a jar.
    Jug?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    Sporky said:
    Yeah - just a case of making sure I know how it all goes back together.

All I really want is two pickups, a volume (possibly not even a tone) and a 3-way selector. If I could, I might go for a toggle rather than a blade.

Not averse to the idea of getting a new guard made, I don't like pearloid that much. What would go nicely with sparkly red? I was thinking mint green would be nice but it's more subdued, and I don't know if that'd be a missed opportunity when I could go really out there.
    Sporky said:
    Jug?
    I'd certainly want to take a pitcher of it before starting.

Mr Bucket - might I suggest brushed aluminium effect? Or mirror! MIRROR!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27116
    I think you need to remove the top 10 frets and fit a proper neck pickup, but that's just me :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    My modding advice involves a blow torch and a chain saw so possibly not the best advice...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Jug?
    I'd certainly want to take a pitcher of it before starting.

Mr Bucket - might I suggest brushed aluminium effect? Or mirror! MIRROR!
    Had brushed aluminium effect on my old RG350, not sure I like it on that but it might be quite cool with the sparkly red.

Mirror is a cool idea - any particular colour?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Can you use frets 25-30 with your MASSIVE hands anyway?

Anodised blue aluminium guard, white knobs, Union Jack pickup covers. Lol.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    That fretboard has more sleepers than the West Coast Mainline.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    The scratchplate site I'm looking at (which I've ordered from before) has black-and-silver paisley as one of the material options.

Oh my god wow.

(I'm wondering... chrome mirror for the Ibanez and black/silver paisley for my white DC Junior?)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    If it's of interest, I have a wiring diagram for a humbucker and a single coil that lets you get the following from a standard 5-way switch:

1 - full humbucker
    2 - humbucker coil 1
    3 - full humbucker and single coil
    4 - humbucker coil 2 and single coil
    5 - single coil

In this guitar I would arrange it so coil 1 is the one closest to the neck and 2 closest to the bridge, I think that would work better.

No problem if not bothered :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Actual pickups? EMGs or Oil City Blackbirds and their single coil version. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If you switch to passives and want to use the battery you could install an EMG afterburner.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    If you're looking at single sized 'buckers then do consider either a Hotrails or a JbJr, both sound awesomes in my Dave Murray Strat.

For the full size, just get something nice and hot, with a chunky mid range, should be good for a bunch of sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

ICBM said:
    If it's of interest, I have a wiring diagram for a humbucker and a single coil that lets you get the following from a standard 5-way switch:

1 - full humbucker
    2 - humbucker coil 1
    3 - full humbucker and single coil
    4 - humbucker coil 2 and single coil
    5 - single coil

In this guitar I would arrange it so coil 1 is the one closest to the neck and 2 closest to the bridge, I think that would work better.

No problem if not bothered :).
    Ooooh don't give me ideas :D

@hubobulous... y u do dis
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    If that were mine I'd get a new scratch plate made (not sure which colour) and have it single humbucker, single volume. Proper no-nonsense 80's machine then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Woah. That's the biggest cutaway I've ever seen. And I've been playing for 20 years. :p 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/