Shred/fast lead help!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    nickp said:

ta - I'm just starting to concentrate on increasing my fluidity and speed of picking/playing as I'm ok to about 100 ish bpm but as a minimum would really like to be able to play and "improvise" 4 notes per beat at around 120-130 bpm as that's the speed of most songs - or a little faster so that I have some technique "in hand" 
    Try playing some subdivision variation too.
    It is good to get 16ths (4 notes per quarter note) up around 120-130 but if you only ever practice 16ths then you will only ever improvise with them too.
    You also want to have 5/6/7 note divisions down as well.
    Playing 32nd notes (8 notes per beat) is quite a challenge but if you think about 32nd notes at 60 being the same as 16th's at 120 then you can work on getting your 32nd note times up too.

What I'm suggesting is work with a variation of note divisions.
    A good way to get sextuplets (6 notes per quarter notes) is to come up with a repetitive pattern that have 2x 3 notes on adjacent strings. Like the first 6 notes of the natural minor, which should be using fingers 134 and again 134.
    Play that pattern over and over landing on the downbeat each time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@nickp ; ^what @octatonic said.

Mixing up subdivisions is what makes me bounce up and down in my seat when I hear it done well in a shred solo.

Also, what he said right at the top of the thread about using the resources on Martin Goulding's site, but not just the legato ones linked (play them picked, too!), but these picking ones, too (play them legato, too!):

http://martingoulding.com/lessons/picking/ ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited September 2016
    ta guys.  I have committed to daily practice of at least 30 minutes on technique to see how far I get by Christmas so it'll be interesting .  @octatonic - have a wisdom on me !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    DLM said:

Mixing up subdivisions is what makes me bounce up and down in my seat when I hear it done well in a shred solo.

Also, what he said right at the top of the thread about using the resources on Martin Goulding's site, but not just the legato ones linked (play them picked, too!), but these picking ones, too (play them legato, too!):

video needed of you bouncing up and down
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    nickp said:
    DLM said:

video needed of you bouncing up and down
    Well, get practicing. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For panto could you jsut do loads of divebombs and whammy type stuff instead? I saw that approach at a cirque de soleil sometime and it was quite effective for when the music isnt the mian focus and all your realy doing is painting a mood picture?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom