NGDers :Please for the love of my sanity......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    I find posting pics a pain so if a post involves me needing to do so now I just don't bother posting or listing. Certainly agree Photobucket is a pain to use. I looked at imgur and it just confused me even more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31616
    I don't care if it's just a NGD, but I had my phone shut down by a Photobucket link in the classifieds last week, so sellers need to be aware that a lot of us just daren't even look at what they're selling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    @TTony can we remove Photobucket from the How to post photos? It will stop new users.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
    paul_c2 said:
    The issue isn't simply Photobucket; its people not posting links to pictures in a consistent way.
    You're correct, as was I in the other thread, but wasting your breath.
    The Photobucket hate continues! :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Imgur is the best photohost.  I see a correlation between people successfully seeing goods and having their pictures hosted on Imgur as opposed to those using Photobucket. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    paul_c2 said:
    The issue isn't simply Photobucket; its people not posting links to pictures in a consistent way.

Whenever I open a Photobucket link on my phone it tells me I've won an iPhone 7 and my phone starts vibrating crazily, this doesn't happen anywhere else.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    There's at least 5 different ways to post pics/links from Photobucket, and no clear guidance on which to use.

At least one of those ways, on a normal computer, shows the image directly in the post (and previews this correctly during posting).

If these images aren't being shown directly in posts when they appear on mobile devices, then its the forum software rendering it differently for mobile devices. If a link is shown instead, its this forum which is causing it, since 1) other forums can & do show photobucket pictures directly in posts on mobile devices 2) they're being shown fine on normal computers.

So, as said before its up to the site/admin/mods to clearly explain (and make such a post prominent) how to post pictures, or to simplify the process and cut Photobucket out of the loop by hosting inages themselves. Other forums have successfully done it, the security issue is a red herring since it can be made safe/secure, its just the possible storage capacity issue.

Tempting as it may be, I've no real incentive to sign up to Imgur or try to find another image hosting site, I've already signed up for plenty of things on the internet etc. Especially since people report other issues with Imgur so it doesn't fully/neatly solve the problem.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    paul_c2 said:

Whenever I open a Photobucket link on my phone it tells me I've won an iPhone 7 and my phone starts vibrating crazily, this doesn't happen anywhere else.
    That's the point; there's no need to be using links. Pics can be embedded from PB as easily as anywhere else, but people are using the link rather than the embed code when they post pics.
    When done with the 'direct' code supplied by PB, you don't get a link, you just see the pic, and it's been established this works fine on all devices.
    Lots of us have many pics stored on PB and migrating them to another host isn't going to happen.
    As Wez  said, this was discussed before in another thread. Conclusion: educate posters to use embed code (whatever host) and not just post links.
  • martinw said:
    paul_c2 said:

That's the point; there's no need to be using links. Pics can be embedded from PB as easily as anywhere else, but people are using the link rather than the embed code when they post pics.
    When done with the 'direct' code supplied by PB, you don't get a link, you just see the pic, and it's been established this works fine on all devices.
    Lots of us have many pics stored on PB and migrating them to another host isn't going to happen.
    As Wez  said, this was discussed before in another thread. Conclusion: educate posters to use embed code (whatever host) and not just post links.
    I'm on iPhone 6 and reading another thread that has an image hosted on Photobucket and all I see is the link.  If I visit the desktop site I can see the image fine.  I'm certain the person who posted the image knows what he is doing so, in this case, it's nothing to do with direct links or code.  Photobucket seems to be the only host this happens with in my experience.  

Where has it been suggested that people with pictures on PB should migrate them?  I'm looking the thread here and can't find that mentioned. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    martinw said:
    paul_c2 said:

I'm on iPhone 6 and reading another thread that has an image hosted on Photobucket and all I see is the link.  If I visit the desktop site I can see the image fine.  I'm certain the person who posted the image knows what he is doing so, in this case, it's nothing to do with direct links or code.  Photobucket seems to be the only host this happens with in my experience.  

Where has it been suggested that people with pictures on PB should migrate them?  I'm looking the thread here and can't find that mentioned. 

i'm less certain.  because if they do it correctly it won't show as a link

for this pic i will right click on the pic in photobucket, copy the image address and add it using the attach image button on this here text editor

please confirm if you see a link or a picture on your iphone 6?

edited October 2016
    I have tested on chrome, ie, edge on the laptop.  I have also tested on an iPhone 5 & 6, the iPad, windows phone and an old android tablet.  The pics I link from PB show on all of them as long as I post them using that method.

if I am missing something that makes them show as links I would be glad to know. So if anyway sees a link in my post above please post a screenshot and description of hardware/browser
    edited October 2016
    Am I the only one who sees links for all the other image hosting sites, as well as Photobucket, on mobile?     

Those who just paste a link in the text editor always show as links on the mobile version, even when privately hosted.  

Makes sense for the desktop version to load the linked pic, but the mobile one not to as it theoretically saves your data.

i would also like to know which forums let you upload pics without some kind of subscription.  I have known of two, and they had very strict rules on picture size.  All the others I have used have relied on external hosting and the use of [img] tags
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I've lost count of how many iPhone 7s I've won from clicking on links in this forum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    This is really easy. If you want people to look at your picture on Fretboard, either a) do the @WezV thing, or b) DONT USE PHOTOBUCKET!

I couldn't care less how many pictures you have on Photobucket or how long you've used it. If you want me to look at what you're selling, don't show me a Photobucket link. Simples!
    Chalky said:
    This is really easy. If you want people to look at your picture on Fretboard, either a) do the @WezV thing, or b) DONT USE PHOTOBUCKET!

I couldn't care less how many pictures you have on Photobucket or how long you've used it. If you want me to look at what you're selling, don't show me a Photobucket link. Simples!
    tbh, i don't click on imgur or any other link when i see it on the mobile site. Admittedly Photobucket is the one with dodgy links, but tiny pic and imgur have both loaded ads for me too.  

its a feature of the forum that it will convert a link  used in the text editor to the actual pic on the main site, but not mobile - wherever its hosted

If everyone could use the attach image/file options rather than the default text editor we would all see pictures all the time - this might not be ideal for those of you on restrictive data plans