Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How Far Would You Travel to Rehearse?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
Just asking how far you'd go? Rehearsals not gigs, bands tend to be willing to travel a few miles to a gig, but what about bands that are not based near you.

I really want to get into a band but the ones I see on Musolist or Joinmyband are usually 30 miles away. Obviously I would need a car, but what would you consider "too far"? I get home at 6pm in the week except Fridays which is 5pm. It makes for a long night if travelling 30 miles to and from and can be costly on the old juice.

Also, can you recommend any other good websites for finding bands or sources etc. I'm not really keen about going alone to a Jam Night or anything.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I used to travel a 90 mile round trip twice a week for years and years. Then I got commitments other than being in a band and resented walking 90 seconds to my venue/rehearsal room. I now have a 10 mile round trip and I grumble. Maybe I'm just a grumpy lumpy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    30 mins, no more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to travel an hour to practice, once a week; and it was a practice, not a rehearsal.  The two people who lived near the rehearsal room did not put the time into learn their stuff, which was galling.  Me and the other guitarist binned it off in the end; she had to travel 45 mins to get to practice too.

Nothing annoys me like selfish arsenips who can't be bothered to pull their weight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @octatonic

That's about 1.5 miles in London ain't it ;-)

You put in some mileage there, blimey. I think 90 miles is pushing it for me, I'd have to give that the elbow. Chris, that would pish me off immenseley too, as soon as I even had the remotest gut feeling of that I'd have been off too, "with words".
  • @octatonic

Yes, but in London there are approx. 7 bands per square mile - this increases greatly on the northern side of the Thames.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Time rather than distance as the majority of places I might rehearse will be in or mean going across central Birmingham. I guess 45 minutes max including parking up.
    Partysounds is the other website that comes to mind. If you are after a specific musician or genre then might be worth trying specific sites like Basschat or Oompahfolk.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    edited January 2014
    Time rather than distance as the majority of places I might rehearse will be in or mean going across central Birmingham. I guess 45 minutes max including parking up.
    Partysounds is the other website that comes to mind. If you are after a specific musician or genre then might be worth trying specific sites like Basschat or Oompahfolk.

Cheers for the links, Eric.

Edit: Lol, Oompahfolk went straight past me the first time ;-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I did put oompahnet at first but it turned out to be an actual site for this lot:
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    I travel about 30 mins for a distance that would need just 15 if there were good correspondence between the metro and bus.. Some studios we went were too far so the mates offered a ride from town to there.. But car or public transport 30 mins is the most I'd be willing to spend on the road.. As for websites, try starnow.co.uk or smth. you make an account-profile and you get castings adds. that's how they found me,,
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2014

You put in some mileage there, blimey. I think 90 miles is pushing it for me, I'd have to give that the elbow. Chris, that would pish me off immenseley too, as soon as I even had the remotest gut feeling of that I'd have been off too, "with words".
    It was over 80 miles round trip.  I think their lack of commitment should have been obvious when the drummer couldn't make it on time - it was in his garage.  FFS.

Reflecting upon this has made me feel a little bit disappointed in myself.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    @octatonic

Providing the weather is ok.
  • I did put oompahnet at first but it turned out to be an actual site for this lot:

I wondered who'd been raiding my wardrobe.

GIVE ME MY SHORTS BACK!!!!!!!

:x

• You put in some mileage there, blimey. I think 90 miles is pushing it for me, I'd have to give that the elbow. Chris, that would pish me off immenseley too, as soon as I even had the remotest gut feeling of that I'd have been off too, "with words".
    It was over 80 miles round trip.  I think their lack of commitment should have been obvious when the drummer couldn't make it on time - it was in his garage.  FFS.

Reflecting upon this has made me feel a little bit disappointed in myself.
    Don't be, it's better you have your attitude than to have theirs.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd say 30mins is fine.   Any more and it just becomes hard work keeping everything together.   I was breifly in a thin lizzy tribute with a chap that used to play in limehouse - it sounded fantastic and I so wanted it to work but an hour each way made it unrealistic - I iwsh we'd all been closer. 

If you're all in the same area everything about being in a band is easier to manage.
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    I wouldn't travel more than 45 mins each way, but if it was a good band and seemed worth it, then maybe. Put it this way, I'd rather travel 45 mins for a good band that I can see potential than 10 mins for a band that can't be arsed and ain't going anywhere fast.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    ...but what would you consider "too far"? I get home at 6pm in the week except Fridays which is 5pm. It makes for a long night if travelling 30 miles to and from and can be costly on the old juice.
    I think a major factor is how much you expect to earn with the band, so yep, you have to factor the expenses in.  I'd go further for a functions band with regular work than for a bunch of mates who just want to do the odd gig down the Dog & Duck.

And perhaps consider any other little benefits which might appeal, e.g. our drummer travels across London to rehearsal because we have space and he doesn't have to schlep his drums, he can just leave a second kit there, turn up, hit it, and go straight home.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'd go an hour each way for a really good originals band with prospects, pretty much double that for one I REALLY wanted to work with - for covers bands, wouldn't go far outside Birmingham, I could put one together myself to rehearse at the bottom of my road that'd be better than most of the ones I see around ;) 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    30 mins, but I'm pretty central so it's no real bother.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8755
    Up to an hour once a week for a good band (I'm currently doing 30 minutes each way, plus loading and set up time). Life's too short for bands that aren't any good, and don't have commitment.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27229
    For my last lot (SE London based) it was only 10 miles, but on the way out that would take 45 minutes on a good day. Journey home at 1130ish was 25 mins though, so in total it was well under 90 minutes total travel. I'd happily do that kind of routine again for a good band, probably up to an hour each way for a REALLY good band with earning potential too. 

I found that time in the car was really good for vocal warmups, listening to stuff I'm learning, or just listening to new music. You can get through most good albums in 45 mins :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires