Gibson Historic - what is it exactly

What's Hot
Anyone know exactly what this means? I have a 61 reissue 335 VOS from custom shop - looks like this, but keep seeing various models tagged as 'historic' but can't see any obvious differences. Is it a specific model range or just a generic terms applied to custom shop reissues?
Cheers
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad285/guitar70lq/20131231_113240_zpsgdna3etx.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Historic or Historic Collection is now Gibson Custom made in Nashville, they also have a Custom Shop in Memphis where they make most the bulk of the '335's the new '63 VOS is Memphis, the '63 ES335 reissue is Nashville and they alos make limited run VOS models in Nashville to confuse the issue....Generally speaking if it says Nashville on the label and its a Custom Shop/Historic model its more expensive..
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    A cash cow?

<puts on tin hat and runs for cover>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    If it is a historic it is a custom shop made reissue. The custom shop used to be called the custom, art & historic division.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    impmann said:
    A cash cow?

<puts on tin hat and runs for cover>
    Yer not wrong! And yet they fly off the shelves. I'd love a '13 R8. Would I pay that? Would I fuck.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...is pseudo psychological imprinting...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited January 2014
    No idea, but the historic 330 (I think, will check) in my local GAS shop hasn't had the f holes finished, so it's bare plywood with a few drips of red lacquer. For £2400! I'm never forgetting that guitar...

Edit: it's been sold! It was a Gibson historic vos semi in the same colour as op. They all look the same to me, but it was that expensive, despite being unfinished from the 'better' custom shop?

Take each guitar on its own merits, rather than the label. This one was almost certainly a bad example, but it's one that shouldn't have happened.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I've owned several custom shop Gibsons, they've all been great. I have to say though, my £600 SG Special was equally well made and finished.
  • Historics are the reissues produced by the custom shop. The VoS bit just means the finish and hardware have gunk on them to give a slightly aged look. You can also get historic reissues without VOS. Some people refer to custom shop guitars as VOS guitars which can be a bit confusing, especially since with a bit of elbow grease you can clean the VoS bit off the guitars!