12 string Euro style JM build

What's Hot
Seeing all the pics  @HarrySeven posts on facebook makes my feed a lot more interesting than it used to be.

Last week there was an oddity kinda based on a Jazzmaster, but shape only, that instantly got saved as a screen saver.

i also found a 12 string neck I made about 10 years ago, slightly worse for wear but some lovely woods and still perfectly straight.

so it's going to be a 12 string bolt-on JM shape, but top bound with multiply binding and a sparkly blue finish top with off white back.  Probably non standard pickups, hardware and electronics for a vintage euro vibe

some pics will appear later

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I'm in :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sounds interesting, I like something a bit different from usual.....with your skills it will be awesome!....no pressure there then!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16688
    this is the inspiration

it wont end up anything like that... it certainly wont have a series of push buttons just above the strings for example, controls will be in a more regular location... and i may just go for 2 angled single coils.  still all to be decided

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds brilliant!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I like the cut of your jib!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    i got the body and neck pocket cut so have thrown a few parts on it

i probably would have done something different with the headstock if i made the neck again now. it definitely looks a bit clumsy on this shape body, but i think that will suit the vibe by the time I am done.   At first i put the single coil covers on angled and realised i had walked right into surfcaster territory, obviously a slotted 12 string headstock adds to that a bit.

Body is Dark Red Meranti, last guitar i made with it had a zingy acoustic warmth which i think will work well for this. the neck is some really nice black limba with a perfect macasser ebony fretboard... might need to add some inlays though

That bridge was just close to hand, i am thinking it will have a hand made aluminium tailpiece  and bridge combo 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hmmm.   i bet the blue guitar above is a drum wrap finish.   maybe i should try that???
  • Just an FYI - the blue guitar is an Eko Ekomaster 400.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• @WezV - One of these days, I think we should talk turkey re. a crazy custom build... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Is it bad form to call dibs already? Are there any guitars of yours I *haven't* dibs-ed at this point? :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Just an FYI - the blue guitar is an Eko Ekomaster 400.

I thought it was something like that. Definitely a vinyl wrap then
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited November 2016
    @WezV - One of these days, I think we should talk turkey re. a crazy custom build...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28344
    WezV said:
    hmmm.   i bet the blue guitar above is a drum wrap finish.   maybe i should try that???
    Yes. Yes you should. It looks magnificent.

Re the headstock; could you reshape just the end a little to make it asymmetrical? Or is that even more Surfcastery?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Blue sparkly 12 string Jazzmaster? Oh yes! Great idea.

As an aside, those Schaller roller bridges are *BRILLIANT* on Shergolds, Wez... if you pop the original rattly bridge off, these fit very well, cover the old fixing holes and *TRANSFORM* the tone. I was going to do that to the one I sold you...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    Blue sparkly 12 string Jazzmaster? Oh yes! Great idea.

As an aside, those Schaller roller bridges are *BRILLIANT* on Shergolds, Wez... if you pop the original rattly bridge off, these fit very well, cover the old fixing holes and *TRANSFORM* the tone. I was going to do that to the one I sold you...

Cheers for the heads up, I might give that a go.

I was actually looking at the shergold bridge wondering if something like that would work for this project

• I've spent the last few weeks looking at the gold version of this in Hanks window on Demark street. Sadly it wasn't set up at all when I played it, massive bow in the neck and no sound from the pickups.

Definitely a plastic top and back, originally made by an accordion factory, hence the odd control plate and plastics.

I'll be following this with great interest.
    yes, i know Brandonni guitars used to offer the accordion treatment for guitars as well as selling a lot of Eko stuff.  I am just looking into DIY solutions, but i know I can do both white pearl and sparkly blue with paint so we will see
  • Oh man. In before the awesome.
  • Following this one.

How about a trem? Indeed how about a trem for the six higher strings only. Always fancied trying that.
    Following this one.

How about a trem? Indeed how about a trem for the six higher strings only. Always fancied trying that.
    That sounds ridiculous.

I like it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom