Advice request - endpin replacement on an acoustic

So having got a K&K Pure Mini acoustic pick up for my acoustic 12-string, I sent Levinson an email asking if the endpin is glued in or screwed in or just stuck in tight.

They sent me these in response, saying this is how they do it -

These suggest to me that I saw off the sticky out bit of the endpin, then drill through the rest of it.

I'm a bit wary of the potential for scratching the bejaysus out of the finish, but fair enough, if that's how one does it, that's how one does it. (Yes I can see there's masking tape around it, but it's not the most robust of defences in my experience.)

Do the experts here agree and if not, how would you do it?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16687
    Yeah, I had to do a glued in one this week it's pretty close to what I did.

i cut further away from the body and drilled a 3mm hole down the centre before going for the bigger drill bit

• Fair do's, I shall swallow hard and give it a go when I have some time.

Gulp.

(I was going to add I'll cross my fingers, but I'm not sure how I'd hold the blade properly if I did that.)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I don't think I've ever come across one that was glued in so strongly that I couldn't get it out with Mole Grips. You may as well try since if it breaks off you're going to end up drilling it out anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's not the endpin I'm worried about damaging...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    edited November 2016
    It's not the endpin I'm worried about damaging…
    It would be a good idea to protect the end of the guitar whatever you do.

I probably should have said, if the endpin is glued I grip the head of it sideways with the Mole grips and rotate it to break the glue first, rather than trying to just pull it straight out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah, right. Personally I'd have tried to wiggle it a bit, to see if that worked, but yes, protection is essential.