Blue Chip picks

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
call me mad but I really fancy trying one of these - but at the price (and there seems to only be 1 UK dealer) you can't exactly buy a few to try can you.

They should operate some kind of loaners scheme.

Anyone use them?
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Yep. They're great. Very slick, and they sound awesome. Plus they don't wear out but as you say, very pricey so you can't experiment.

A company called Charmed Life appear to have got some of the same material and are making picks which are a fair bit cheaper. Last time I looked they weren't making them in my preferred thickness though so I didn't explore further.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Just looked at those - they don't look *that* much cheaper (c. $30 plus shipping) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5276
    i have used Bluechip for years bloody lovely however buy some dunlop primetone as they are pretty much identical and waaaay cheaper, £3 each as opposed to £30
    edited November 2016
    TimmyO said:
    Just looked at those - they don't look *that* much cheaper (c. $30 plus shipping) 
    They were doing free shipping when I looked...if that's stopped then yes, the difference is probably marginal.

Although....I notice JP Guitars has put his price up (was £38 now £39.95) so £23 for a Charmed Life still looks good.
    Says free in US only now
    Red ones are better. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    what % price hike is that compared to the price of 'normal' picks.

what awesomely groundbrakingly classic tracks have been recorded with 'CL' picks ?
    most of the stuff I like was done with - plastic - just sayin 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    AliGorie said:

what awesomely groundbrakingly classic tracks have been recorded with 'CL' picks ?

Well, an awful lot - probably most - of the awesomely groundbreaking tracks I like were recorded with tortoise which is both illegal and immoral (not to mention mostly unavailable), and which these high end picks replicate the sound and feel of really well. So that's the case for them, imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a bunch of Blue Chips and I absolutely love them, especially for acoustics. They're the nearest-sounding to tortoiseshell that I've used
    Mr @mgaw of this parish got in touch and offered to lend me a Blue Chip to try out. 

It's a TD40 so at the thinner end of what they do (they do some really thick ones) and I have to say I am impressed. No click or catch on the strong but not really imprecise feeling like something like those old Stubby things. Apparently they basically never wear, so the nice bevel that give it the effortless feel should stay the same. 

He also included a Dunlop Puretone in 1.4mm - that's the kind of thickness I prefer the feel of - it is similarly slick across the strings. Sounded a bit darker than the BC - not sure if this is all due to the extra thickness or to the material. 

Soundwise I preferred the BC - I'm tempted to get one in a slightly thicker size for myself 
    Red ones are better. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    ridiculous price for a plec. I don't care how amazing they are, I wouldn't even want to try one.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You can insert guitar/amp/pedal in the place of plec there. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5276
    axisus said:
    ridiculous price for a plec. I don't care how amazing they are, I wouldn't even want to try one.
    we all spend spend spend on kit, but bizzarely struggle when it comes to picks which are the main source on contact between many players and their instrument and really alter the tone achieved way more than some realise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, like the OP I resisted for a while, then found a BC pick on Ebay and bought it to try. Instant conversion. Yes they are relatively expensive, but they are a lifetime purchase. I now have one for every instrument I own (that I use picks on). Knowing the value, should change your mindset about looking after picks. Don't leave them on pub tables, sofas, lawns etc.

Find yourself a box to keep picks, capo, tuner, and ALWAYS keep stuff in it. I take my pick boxes on stage with me. BC chips are worth it. I recommend their TAD40 for light strings) and TAD 50 for mediums.

As Mgaw says - if we spend large amounts on our guitars, why worry about buying superb picks for them.

Thought if you have a poor/cheap guitar a BC investment will not improve it, but for a good instrument ....yes.  
    Whilst there are a few kindred BC spirits in one place (sorry for the hijack Tim!) does anyone have a 50 or 60 of some sort they want to trade for a 40?

I've got a TP40 and TAD-1R 40 and really I think I'd like one a bit heavier.
    I have a tad-1r 60 and a td 50 coming 
    Red ones are better. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I just can't believe that they are worth the money, that they are so much better than regular plectrums. Still, if people have money to burn why not
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I remain very skeptical about these magic picks because I finger pick most of the time.
    $75 for a pick. They can't make that much of an improvement to your sound.
    I think for that amount of money it would be easy to convince yourself that they make a difference. No-one wants to be seen as the fool that's easily parted from his money.
    edited December 2016
    Sassafras said:
    I remain very skeptical about these magic picks because I finger pick most of the time.
    Well then you're certainly qualified to assert that....Sassafras said:
    They can't make that much of an improvement to your sound.
    Why do some people assume that the other guy's a fool for making a choice they wouldn't?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Lewy said:
    AliGorie said:

Well, an awful lot - probably most - of the awesomely groundbreaking tracks I like were recorded with tortoise which is both illegal and immoral (not to mention mostly unavailable), and which these high end picks replicate the sound and feel of really well. So that's the case for them, imo
    If I played with a 'pick' (plectrum) I.d be scouring the antique / brick-a-brack shops for Tortoiseshell to cut my own from, Ive seen a fish made from t/shell - enough for 15-20 picks, it was £18 !.
    AliGorie said:
    Lewy said:
    AliGorie said:

If I played with a 'pick' (plectrum) I.d be scouring the antique / brick-a-brack shops for Tortoiseshell to cut my own from, Ive seen a fish made from t/shell - enough for 15-20 picks, it was £18 !.
    I have thought about it - a friend found a brush and vanity mirror and is pretty much set for life!

But even if you get lucky you've still got the issue of wear and warping with real tortoise. BC sound and feel the same with none of the hassle.