Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Will there be any more iconic legendary people?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
With the mass spew and diarrhoea of moden media exposure being an embedded part of our moden society, will there be any more iconic legendary people?

It seems that the mystique and lack of public exposure was a factor in creating the legendary status of many iconic people, is it possible for modern celebrities to achieve real icon status?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17789
    tFB Trader
    Yes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • No
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    Maybe.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Unless they sort out my 'Rider' then no, there's no chance !

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    Well, that's that all sorted then.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2821
    Are there any at the moment ?

are we talking about someone like Adele, say who is clearly talented singer and songwriter, deviates from the media norm of what young women should look like, swears like a trouper,and has a massive worldwide appeal which has generated major success at a young age ?
    or maybe 

or Grayson Perry or someone like that?

or maybe it's an oxymoron, because if there were, most of us would t know who they are L
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
    edited December 2016
    I'm talking John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Charles Chaplin, Marlon Brando etc. Or in music bands like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, David Bowie etc.

The only more modern people and bands I view that are anywhere near that kind of iconic status are Prince and Michael Jackson. Personally, for me, Joe Strummer, Paul Weller, Sid Vicious all carry a level of icon status as well.

Who are the modern icons good or bad that carry that mystique, notoriety and status? Or is it an age thing, my view of what is iconic is different to someone 30 years younger?

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10362
    Kim Kardashian innit?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17789
    tFB Trader
    There are plenty. 

Amy winehouse is a good example of a modern tragic icon. 

A good rule is if you think that "x isn't like your day" then it probably is but you've got old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31789
    No, simply because there is no longer any mystique and there is so much fame available that nobody can dominate their particular field any more.

A big deal was made a while ago about how One Direction (or someone equally inconsequential, I forget) had outsold The Beatles in just a couple of years, but all that proves is how big the market now is.

The Beatles changed the industry forever for almost all generations, not just their immediate teenage fans. Their cultural impact was immeasurable and still resonates today, you can even plot their early 60s rise in the rapidly-multiplying production numbers of the big US guitar factories.

The media world is such a vast, well-organised juggernaut now that I can't imagine any single artist in any genre turning the world on its head any more the way someone like Elvis did.
    No matter how talented or successful anyone is now most non-fans can still just ignore them, there's just so much other stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll probably ferry disapproving looks and general argumentative disagreement here but for my generation I'd say people like Winehouse, Doherty are in the same sort of vain in music (albeit not necessarily for their musical output), someone like Johnny Depp is definitely in that category for movie stars, they are around but there are just so many others as well they might not be so ubiquitous therefore the assumption is that because they are contemporary they are therefore rubbish and shallow
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • There are plenty of iconic, legendary people at the moment so why assume there won't be any more. It's just that in our heads an icon looks like Michael Jackson or Nelson Mandela and, sure, they ain't coming back, but to believe that there won't be any more is just a failure of imagination not a Symptom of Modern Times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
     the assumption is that because they are contemporary they are therefore rubbish and shallow
    Absolutely, it's the impact which is diluted nowadays, not the talent. The OP mentioned James Dean, definitely iconic because of his time and place, but he had no discernible talent, if he lived now he'd just be Peter Andre.

It wasn't "better in my day", it was just that very few people scaled the heights of fame and we hung on their every word, even if that word was just "Que?".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • You dont become iconic just by being successful or famous. Its about being a pioneer in your field or doing something amazing and unique, and yes it helps if you die (or a significant band member dies) whilst you are still at the top of your game.

However I do believe the number of people with that kind of drive and passion to achieve greatness is only a very small percentage of the population. Most people are being held back by their own limiting beliefs that they can't acheive great things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think there will be, it's just that recognising them now will be difficult, be in the future people will look back and wonder why we didn't worship the ground that ______ walked on.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • This generation has the internet at their disposal so while it's easier to get noticed there's a  good chance the crap will make it through as well. Even if you do "make it" it means a hell of a lot of work/touring involved.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• I think the next icons are going to be in the field of Science.
    Hawkins is one such icon, whoever cracks k
    fusion will be an icon, and the first person on Mars.
    Also in the fields on IT there are and will be a great number of Icons.

• No - there'll never be anyone up there with the Churchills or Brunels imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• The modern world is too complex for simple mass appeal as in the past.
    The modern world is too complex for simple mass appeal as in the past.
    Exactly. I grew up in a time where a third of the population watched the same mildly amusing light entertainment show on a Saturday night, giving rise to a shared experience which is hard to reproduce in the world of entertainment now.

You can still do it with space exploration or presidential assassinations perhaps, but not with two blokes doing a northern music hall act.