Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone gig a Marshall JTM45

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    ICBM said:
    A 1987x with a parallel dummy load into a 2x12" with 97dB speakers won't be that loud.

You can also get away with fitting them with 6V6s if you use decent ones. That will drop the power to around 25W even without attenuation.
    What's a dummy load? And is it an easy job to change the valves? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72627
    shaunm said:
    ICBM said:
    A 1987x with a parallel dummy load into a 2x12" with 97dB speakers won't be that loud.

You can also get away with fitting them with 6V6s if you use decent ones. That will drop the power to around 25W even without attenuation.
    What's a dummy load? And is it an easy job to change the valves? 
    A dummy load is basically a large resistor (although many are a bit more sophisticated than that) which simulates a speaker cabinet in terms of impedance and power handling. If you plug it into the amp exactly as if it was a second speaker cab - with the same rules about impedance matching - then it will take half the power of the amp, exactly the same as if it was a cab. That means that the real cab will drop in volume as if the amp was half as powerful.

You can buy one commercially, or use any normal attenuator as one if it's set to the quietest setting - although that's usually an expensive option. You can build one fairly easily and cheaply if you're handy with simple electronics. The advantage compared to an attenuator is that they can be much cheaper, and they arguably affect the sound of the amp less since it's not in line between the amp and speaker. Or you can just use a normal attenuator, they don't affect the tone much either when only set to a fairly small reduction.

Changing EL34s to 6V6s is simple, the bias voltage is in the correct range so all you need to do is accurately rebias it using the normal trimmer, and set the amp to half the impedance of the cab in order to compensate for the different valve impedance. The tone will also be slightly different, a bit softer and 'rounder', but in a 1987x that's probably no bad thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @ICBM that's some great info. I am not sure the 1987x is the right amp if I have to change so many things to make it viable. If only I was a bonafide rock star then it would be 1959 slp all the way. 

Have you seen or tried the Victory Sheriff 44? I wonder if that is a viable option or maybe even a Silver Jubilee? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72627
    Never tried a Victory. The Silver Jubilee is a very different amp.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is with the two Marshalls - if the JTM45 is too mushy and not loud enough the 1987x will probably be perfect. If the 1987x is too loud and brash, the JTM45 will probably be perfect.

Attenuators are simple and give you control on a non-MV amp. A parallel dummy load is even simpler.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There's no problem at all, I was just wondering about the Victory as it is billed as a Marshall inspired amp.

The Jubilee I wondered about just because isn't it a version of the 1987 or was that when it was built? I get lost in all the models to be honest.

The JTM45 is still sounding like the amp for me. If it is loud enough for pubs and clubs yet still having enough headroom for effects. I don't mind a little bit of mushy as I'm used to using an 18watt tweed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2192
    Both amps would be ideal I reckon. 

I actually think the SLP is a bit redundant. If that's the sound you like, the 1987 would be ideal. The JTM doesn't sound too alike to the bigger EL34 powered amps. 
    If it's more the aggressive kerrang and upper mid bite you like, go 50w small box. If you want something a little warmer, and possibly more polite, go for the JTM. 
    The 1987 will need an attenuator. There's no way you're getting that into overdrive at anything like audience friendly levels. But don't let that put you off. 

Both amps sound great. I've had both a few times. They are also very very cool. 
    The reissues are also well put together. 

I'd go 1987x and possibly a Fryette Power Station. 

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    ICBM has given some really good wisdom above.

if you find a JTM45 to mushy bring it to me and I ill tighten it up in 10 minutes (allowing time for the iron to heat up and the coffee to be made)

I have been lusting after a rockcrusher attenuator, one of the more expensive options to drop volume but works really well, I have a number of clients that gig with JTM45 in pubs in regularly, just don't get a cab with vintage 30 speakers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM has given some really good wisdom above.

if you find a JTM45 to mushy bring it to me and I ill tighten it up in 10 minutes (allowing time for the iron to heat up and the coffee to be made)

I have been lusting after a rockcrusher attenuator, one of the more expensive options to drop volume but works really well, I have a number of clients that gig with JTM45 in pubs in regularly, just don't get a cab with vintage 30 speakers!
    Indeed he has. As have you and @Nerine. Great place this forum. The input is really appreciated. 

cab wise I have been having a quick look at zilla's and I'm guessing Greenback/creamback is the way forward with either amp. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2192
    I'd go Creambacks all day long. 

I definitely would if you get a 1987. 
    Technically a pair of Greens would be ok, but it'd be much safer to run Creams IMO. I'd not want to crank a 1987 through a pair of Greenbacks. They'd probably be ok, but I wouldn't bet a great deal on it, as I think the 1987 is capable of putting out more than it's rated wattage, and Greens are rated at 25W a piece. 

A JTM would be cool through Greenbacks. In fact the 1962 (basically a JTM 45 combo (?)) has a pair of Greenbacks in it from the factory. (I believe, could be wrong.) 

I think the whole idea of the Creamback was to be a high powered Greenback, so tonally they're similar. The classic Marshall sound usually involves Greenbacks, so can't really go wrong. If anything, the Creamback with its higher power handling is more versatile. Mainly because of just that. For example a pair of Creambacks would be ok with a 100W amp. I'd be very nervous running my JCM 800 up through a pair of Greens! 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited December 2016
    Shaun,

Thinking outside the box a bit, try a few old cheap Brit valve amps such as Selmer (TnB 50), WEM Dominator,  IMPACT, Miles Platting etc. Before the amp bods jump on me, no I'm not suggesting these are JTM45s et al but they are great oldie amps from a similar era.

You might find one of those might suit you more. Most take pedals and are still cheap albeit the days of them being 50 quid/ worthless are probably over unless you get lucky.

From what I know of you and your playing, a well sorted simple classic valve amp is what you are after and those above might offer a surprise once you plug in. 

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

@shugz I know what you mean and you could be right. There's just something about that Marshall sound that does it for me. 

I have tried a few amps out that didn't work for me, such as the Two Rock Exo, Fender Super sonic 60 and even the MJW standard roadster. They were all great amps but they didn't quite fit in with the band. I'm being a little unkind to the MJW there as it did but I have the EL84 thing covered with the Tweed version. 

As as you know I'm a classic rock type of player but I do use a few pedals such as delays, Trem and phaser along with a dose of Fuzz face which is why i am thinking that an amp with a little more headroom than my 18watt might work now that the studio time is finished and it's months of gigging instead. 

Theres something about growing up idolising pictures or Eric and Jimi leaning on Marshalls that does make me want to have one too. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31662
    Find a used JTM45 reissue, I'm pretty confident you'll love it. If you don't though, you won't lose money and you'll have a datum from which to judge your next move.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited December 2016
    Not a worry Shaun. My thoughts 're the less well known amps were they can still be great tone on not much coin. 

A second hand JTM is a good shout as you'll not lose if you but wisely and sell on if it's not your thing.

Time to get off here and get out demoing/ finding some vintage or inspired by vintage tone machines

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• I used the Bluesbreaker combo for a while, small pub gigs it was ideal kept it on the floor and about half volume which was great. Big gigs it's too much power. Small pub gigs with loads of people it's fine. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    I used the Bluesbreaker combo for a while, small pub gigs it was ideal kept it on the floor and about half volume which was great. Big gigs it's too much power. Small pub gigs with loads of people it's fine. 
    I'm confused...too much power for bigger gigs but good for small gigs??
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)