Some thoughts on CAGED and the Major scale and more

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    It does make sense and thankfully I do know my way around the caged stuff, but I do think it complicates it by showing more notes than the chord triad.
    I was showing the entire set of shapes for  each of the five Major Scale patterns. Not arpeggio shapes containing only the triad notes.
    Learning the Major scale is fundamental and underpins chords, scales, arpeggios, CAGED etc.
    I was not looking to over complicate it. I was looking to present what I learned as fundamental first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited December 2016
    close2u said:

Notice, in a few places, a slightly bluesy-sound comes in ... that's me running out of ideas and inspiration and 'cheating' ... thinking in terms of E minor pentatonic (which is contained entirely within the G Major scale).
    I think these sections are really noticeable and also help to illustrate the differences between these two scales and their use.

I wouldn't say you're cheating at that point; seeing as the song modulates from G major to its relative E minor at that point it's quite reasonable for you to be playing in E minor!

PS - nice one for saying EDCAG - I think CAGED is really counterintuitive for beginners.

In fact, the next important musical step would be to work with the chords in a properly harmonic way, in other words to learn the inversions - root, 1st and 2nd inversions - using barre chords with the E string on bottom (E-shape, C-Shape, A shape), and with the A string on bottom (A-shape, G-shape, D shape - all with x on the low string).

ECA, and 

AGD (all with x on low string). 

This helps understand the chords in a musical context, not purely in a technique-context. It's not as catchy as CAGED, but never mind! 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom