Vox AC30 - what have I been missing!

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
A couple of days ago, I went to a small local recording studio with my neighbour who runs the place. The point of the trip was to try out his Mesa Lonestar special. While the Lonestar was lovely for clean, I struggled to get a dirty sound I liked.

i spotted a battered old AC30 in the corner and as I have never had a blast on one, we set it up. Holy shit- it was epic. Fair play we ran it at proper loud level and my God was this thing nice. Straight forward, jumped channels, and my CS strat was just wonderful. And that was the start. Next we hooked up my pedals and then it really started to sing. 

I had had a little tc mini spark booster at about 11 o'clock and that just tipped it into crunchy and a soul food on top for dirt. So I had a couple of lasting impressions:
  • It is fecking loud
  • When digging in the natural valve compression is luuuuuverly and you almost don't need a separate compressor for funky clean stuff
  • The detail is superb- but your playing has to be good. Any mistakes/sloppy playing is audible
  • It responds really nicely to dynamics and clean/soft playing
  • It is fecking loud
  • The base sound / tone is just lovely- just my thing
  • It's quite big and heavy so probably a bit gig unfriendly by modern standards
  • This particular one didn't have an fx loop or MV but didn't seem to suffer 
Superb fun. All I need is a roadie and bigger gigs!
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Best amp ever for me. I've been around the houses with amps, boutique loveliness included and I'm back with two 60's AC30's and I'm done.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    The bad news is that you will not get that sound in a smaller, lighter or quieter package. You might get into the same ballpark, but a cranked AC30 with two Blues or Greenbacks will always be better - it's harder to replicate at lower volume than most of the other classic amps in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The bad news is that you will not get that sound in a smaller, lighter or quieter package. You might get into the same ballpark, but a cranked AC30 with two Blues or Greenbacks will always be better - it's harder to replicate at lower volume than most of the other classic amps in my opinion.
    Wisdom there. There's something about the slightly underbuilt cabs, the world's greatest loudspeaker and that circuit that contributes to the tone.

They do respond well to simple resistive attenuators too, as long as you're not expecting bedroom volumes.
  • What about the Matchlesses and the Bad cats, and the Top Hats?   Been Gassing for a boxy thing for absolutely ages.  Probably never happen now.  Simply no room left for a new amp.
  • Heavy though?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Heavy though?
    Not too heavy, it's the backup amp and fire extinguisher you need to also carry that makes up the weight.... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Heavy though?
    Yes, slightly heavier than a Fender Twin (other than a late-SF 135W version and/or one with JBLs), and although they have end handles they're not in the most useful place for carrying between two people, it's still a bit of an awkward lift.

One thing that's really surprising about them - and why smaller amps don't sound as good - is the amount of bottom-end they have, even with the Blue speakers. I recently A/B'd one with my Mesa Trem-o-verb - which is basically a Dual Rectifier combo, so has tons - and the AC30 had *more*. But not boomy or overpowering, just really full-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cacofonix said:
    What about the Matchlesses and the Bad cats, and the Top Hats?   Been Gassing for a boxy thing for absolutely ages.  Probably never happen now.  Simply no room left for a new amp.
    Never owned a Top Hat, but the Matchless DC30 and Bad Cat equivalent are in the same tonal area but they're not the same as a good AC30.

Not worse, not better just different.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Dodge said:
    Cacofonix said:
    What about the Matchlesses and the Bad cats, and the Top Hats?   Been Gassing for a boxy thing for absolutely ages.  Probably never happen now.  Simply no room left for a new amp.
    Never owned a Top Hat, but the Matchless DC30 and Bad Cat equivalent are in the same tonal area but they're not the same as a good AC30.

Not worse, not better just different.
    I had - and foolishly sold - a Top Hat King Royale 2x12 which, IMO, was an incredible vintage Vox clone. Not as 3D and swirly as the DC30 or Black Cat, just a straight up versatile, vintage Vox. Would love to get it back. Sold it in a moment of madness.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    ICBM said:
    Iirc this had vox branded speakers in. They may be one and the same? If it's better with blue or greenbacks then that must be just superb cranked up
    If they were Vox-labeled silver-coloured speakers with a large domed magnet they're essentially the same as Blues. These were the standard speakers used from the mid 60s up to the mid 70s.

ICBM said:
    If they were Vox-labeled silver-coloured speakers with a large domed magnet they're essentially the same as Blues. These were the standard speakers used from the mid 60s up to the mid 70s.
    Ah ok. Is there much difference between blues and greens?
    rsvmark said:

Ah ok. Is there much difference between blues and greens?
    Yes, although both sound good in different ways. Blues are louder, looser and more 'chimey' sounding, Greenbacks are tighter, dirtier-sounding and crunchier.

• I have the AC30CCH as my "lighter alternative" to my twin... and it weighs a bloody tonne for a head! 
    I have the AC30CCH as my "lighter alternative" to my twin... and it weighs a bloody tonne for a head! 
    Blimey! Heads heavy as well? The 2x12 combo was hernia inducing!
  • rsvmark said:
    I have the AC30CCH as my "lighter alternative" to my twin... and it weighs a bloody tonne for a head! 
    Absolutely, and I'm a man used to a heavy amp (Blackstar artisan 30 and fender twin my main gigging Amps for years). Thankfully it sounds superb - bought it just as a backup really, but it had second thoughts it seems; every time I use it I love it. 
    rsvmark said:
    Absolutely, and I'm a man used to a heavy amp (Blackstar artisan 30 and fender twin my main gigging Amps for years). Thankfully it sounds superb - bought it just as a backup really, but it had second thoughts it seems; every time I use it I love it. 
    I can understand why. Superb sound
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Had a 1974 AC30 top boost in my younger playing days - 6 input, tremolo but no reverb, honestly don't know what the speakers were - they were silver coloured and I always thought they were a variation of a Greenback but maybe as ICBM said its possible they could have been Alnico's.   In those days I knew nothing about amps/speakers and bought it second-hand.  It was darned loud and weighed a ton, and it had no M/V control so wasn't great for home playing.  Traded a Fender 2x12 Silverface for it I think, and subsequently traded the AC30 for a Marshall Plexi head & cab.    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I've own several early 60s AC30s - they sound incredible, but aren't great bedroom amps! They do weigh a ton too.
    But *nothing* sounds like a proper AC30.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    AC30's are amazing things. The break up is seminal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.