GigrRig Generator PSU system - what do you think?

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 895
I'm currently (no pun intended) using Voodoo Lab PSUs for my pedals, but am looking at the GigRig Generator system.

I can't decide whether I like the modular idea or not. Exact length, locking cables and smaller individual footprint looks good, but as I need ~20 pedals worth of 9V DC, 18V DC, 24V DC, 9V AC and some of those up to 500mA, the cost for the system looks to mount-up very quickly :(

What are your thoughts, folks? Especially interested to hear from those who do use / have used / decided not to use them.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28368
    If the VL stuff works, stick with it.

The Generator looks a well-thought out and well engineered system, but it isn't cheap.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    The modular system is great, and very flexible. I've got quite a lot of it. I use a Johnny Shredfreak supply for my smaller boards, and the Generator on my big board (that I rarely use :( ).

However, as @Sporky notes, it's not the cheapest. If you have mostly low-current 9V requirements then a bunch of isolators is not too bad.

Also, they no longer do 9V AC (they used to do a Whambo adapter for the Whammy 4 - I've got one if you need one :) )

R. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    @Sporky      The VL stuff does work for me. The only downside is they are big heavy bricks (I have 4 of them) which take-up a lot of room and like most PSUs of their type, the power cable to each pedal has to run the full distance from PSU to pedal, which can be a lot of excess wiring on a big board (100cm x 50cm)
    ...Also, they no longer do 9V AC...
    !

That shocks me! Why I wonder? As well as the Whammy, I also have two Foxrox pedlas on my board which need 9V AC! :(
    ... and will let you know if I go with it and need a Whambo, thanks :)
    Gadget said:
    ...Also, they no longer do 9V AC...
    !

That shocks me! Why I wonder? As well as the Whammy, I also have two Foxrox pedlas on my board which need 9V AC! :(
    I guess they weren't selling many. TBF, the Whambo was aimed at the Whammy 4, and the Whammy 5 came out which no longer uses AC.

Which FoxRox do you have? I've got a CC2, but I rarely use it these days.

R.
    @robinbowes

I have a CC2 and TZF (original, not the recent one). Also a ZIM, but that's DC. I haven't been using these much myself either, which is why I was hoping to pop them on my new board.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    The Gigrig system is certainly lighter. It all works *perfectly* and as you say can be set up very neatly indeed, making any troubleshooting easier, and inherently making for a very reliable system.

To achieve that, it is expensive.

I'm not sure I'd have had the hutzpah to go from nothing to the size of power setup I ended up with on my big board all based on Gigrig power - the £number would have scared me into analysis paralysis.

Having started with a Generator, Distributor, Isolator and Timelord I added to it over time as my setup grew (another Timelord another Distributor and another Isolator) 

Despite selling off the main bits of my electric setup recently, I have held on to all of the Gigrig stuff - it's just too good and I know that as and when I get back in to FX use I'd just be buying it all again.

This stuff rarely comes up used, so unless you are extraordinarily patient just jump in.

For context, I also have a nice little Cioks supply for small board use, and in the past used VL PP2+ for a big setup, and a Onespot and chain for another incarnation.

All worked ok. I did find the VL very heavy, and it caused interference noise with my Wah *a lot* 

Gigrig stuff is top-notch, originally-conceived-for-touring-professionals, and the price reflects that and it's relatively small volume manufacture. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Thanks @TimmyO

I too have had problems with VL and Wah noise. It is solved by careful placement of the two relative to each other, but that doesn't help with setting-up a board the way you want it.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    Gadget said:
    Thanks @TimmyO

I too have had problems with VL and Wah noise. It is solved by careful placement of the two relative to each other, but that doesn't help with setting-up a board the way you want it.
    Yeah, for a while I kept my wah offboard using a 12" patch cable (and transported it in the back of my combo) which was not too onerous. Then I looked into getting one of the few Wahs on the market with a shielded inductor but then once I decided to go to a smaller board (2 Strymons and 2 drives all on a Nano) I took the plunge with Gigrig. 
    Red ones are better. 
    @ I did think for having such controllers off-board, but I decided it would defeat the object of quick and simple all-in-one setup.

I am considering the G2 at the mo...
  • Another thumbs up for the Gigrig system.... really easy to get a good quiet, well behaved and tidy setup. Cost is fairly high, however as I have found over the last few months customer service is outstanding should you be unlucky enough to have issues with anything, which I think is rare anyway!
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    I'm a recent newcomer to the Modular System. As most have said, it's expensive but it's really the only type of system in its category. I got the G2 so to power all the pedals on the board I'd need probably 3 VL's. 

My my smaller board has 11-12 pedals on it which I'm powering with a Pedal Power 2+, however it's limiting me using other pedals. I'm tempted to go the generator route with this board too, seeing as I have spare modular parts.

I like to do alot of switching different pedals in and out for gigs when it takes my fancy. With the VL that was tricky. Say I want to use my Topanga and Boss PN-2 one gig, then a Flint the next - flip in a Timelord and it's all go. 
  • ok thought chip in a bit!
    we use the gigrig system on most of our boards if we can, for the reasons already stated, its easy, small, light, u can custom the cables cut to lengths u want making it neat, they can always be replaced later if u change things, powers pretty much most pedals (shame it dont do AC) 5A supply so plenty of power, its quiet, you dont need to faff with dip switches or change anything if u goto a different country (just change iec cable for different plug end/ or use plug adapter) no need for step up/down transformers, really suits our boards as it fits to the under side of the tier perfectly. so big thumbs up from me.

they also suit the pedal train board types as well. the voodoo style are also good for that.

we've recently started stocking these: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product-category/power/gurus-power/ from Gurus which are also modular. after speaking with chicco i was quite keen for his modules to be powered by the generator, but they cant which is a shame. as his modules need a 15v input supply then it gets divided into 9 or 12v depending on which module u have. but again these are small, light easy to use, isolated, quiet etc etc
    but theres nothing stopping you attaching a gigrig isolator to 1 of the 9v outlets (or each 1!) as they are 500ma each, giving u another 4 iso outs.

i am also very surprised that other companies havnt jumped on this band wagon.

anyway yes - love the gigrig power stuff been using it for yrs and its never let me down on all the boards we've made over the yrs.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ok thought chip in a bit!
    we use the gigrig system on most of our boards if we can, for the reasons already stated, its easy, small, light, u can custom the cables cut to lengths u want making it neat, they can always be replaced later if u change things, powers pretty much most pedals (shame it dont do AC) 5A supply so plenty of power, its quiet, you dont need to faff with dip switches or change anything if u goto a different country (just change iec cable for different plug end/ or use plug adapter) no need for step up/down transformers, really suits our boards as it fits to the under side of the tier perfectly. so big thumbs up from me.

they also suit the pedal train board types as well. the voodoo style are also good for that.

we've recently started stocking these: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product-category/power/gurus-power/ from Gurus which are also modular. after speaking with chicco i was quite keen for his modules to be powered by the generator, but they cant which is a shame. as his modules need a 15v input supply then it gets divided into 9 or 12v depending on which module u have. but again these are small, light easy to use, isolated, quiet etc etc
    but theres nothing stopping you attaching a gigrig isolator to 1 of the 9v outlets (or each 1!) as they are 500ma each, giving u another 4 iso outs.

i am also very surprised that other companies havnt jumped on this band wagon.

anyway yes - love the gigrig power stuff been using it for yrs and its never let me down on all the boards we've made over the yrs.

I was under the impression that the isolator only gave out 180mA on each outlet. Can't think where I got that idea, though.
    The Isolator *is* only 180mA per output.  Chris was talking about the Guru supply when he said "500mA each". 

R. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24342
    I use the Gigrig stuff too.

Its excellent. Can't really add more than the above.