Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Musical Theatre ( that's right dears )

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16102
I am labelled a hater in my own home.
My wife is an ex-dancer ,choreographer and dance teacher with West End ,Broadway and TV credits .My daughters are both dancers / singers 
They are all mad about Musical Theatre and there is never a time somebody isn't studying/practising or listening to a show-tune in the home.I cannot escape it but I applaud their accomplishments ;however...........
I'm sorry but I just can't bare them ;other than the old odd Irving Berlin or Cole Porter masterpiece I found them just dreadful especially the Lloyd -Webber type. The words are always mis-fitted around the tune or over-sung to phrase the line/story and the music itself is usually meandering infill. I just don't like the genre at all .
Torture for me would be Elaine Paige on the radio on Sunday afternoon being made compulsory .
 I even find some of the modern Disney film scores simply a more expensively produced dose of the same thing.............
 Do you wanna build a snowman ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I agree that most of it is crap, but isn't that the same with all music? It's just that you don't hear the less mainstream stuff that is good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Yes and no ...........I think showtunes are very much a specific genre no matter what the musical style . Gershwin excepted.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    West Side Story is quite cool ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    My ex-wife used to to drag me (usually kicking and screaming) to the theatre but every time I went I enjoyed it. I even shed a tear during Les Miserables. I wouldn't listen to the tunes outside of the theatre but seeing musical theatre live can be an exhilarating experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    cruxiform said:
    My ex-wife used to to drag me (usually kicking and screaming) to the theatre but every time I went I enjoyed it. I even shed a tear during Les Miserables. I wouldn't listen to the tunes outside of the theatre but seeing musical theatre live can be an exhilarating experience.
    I agree ... I wouldn't listen to the soundtrack from West Side Story but seeing the show's a whole different ball game. I also like Opera ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    cruxiform said:
    I agree ... I wouldn't listen to the soundtrack from West Side Story but seeing the show's a whole different ball game. I also like Opera ...
    Never been to an opera but it's something I like to try. I find some of it quite moving so in a live theatre I imagine it's a very emotional experience..
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yeah. Show tunes need to be in the show otherwise they lose the point. Same with opera. Madame butterfly is so moving if you see it but just listening is meh.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    edited January 2017
    If you DO go to the opera, another pre-requisite is in orginal langauge.

ENO murdering Au Foud du Temple Saint was one of the least edifying musical experiences of my life.

Jussi Bjoerling would have turned in his grave.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I like a few of the old classic tunes from way back, but mostly I am of the opinion that musical theatre is shit. Return to The Forbidden Planet was quite good when I saw it in the 80s / early 90s i suppose.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    But Opera is mostly t'awesome.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Just to be quite clear.............Opera and Musical theatre ....................Very different things

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12378
    Gassage said:
    If you DO go to the opera, another pre-requisite is in orginal langauge.

ENO murdering Enfant du Temple Saint was one of the least edifying musical experiences of my life.

Jussi Bjoerling would have turned in his grave.

This. 
    My dad was a huge opera fan but I never really understood it. He reckoned I should go and see a live performance and then I'd appreciate it more so my wife and I went to ENO. It was terrible. We later saw a decent opera in the original Italian. Chalk and cheese. I still don't like a lot of opera but I love the popular stuff like the duet from the Pearl Fishers and Nessun Dorma. 

Not a fan of modern musicals at all, but I do like old Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly stuff. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    You have my sympathies. I'm a "hater" outnumbered by my wife and three daughters and now granddaughter, often plus their friends who are all mad about musical theatre and, yes, Disney.

As you say the tunes are formulaic, the lyrics shoehorned in. 

I've been dragged to a few, the worst by a long chalk being Blood Brothers which makes one tune last for hours. And hours.
    edited January 2017
    I first heard this in the Hannibal movie (sorry) but it has stuck with me over the years. I'd love to see it performed. It's such a beautiful piece that moves the soul.

edited January 2017
    One of the best things that used to go on- the Amex Holland Park Opera season.

Saw Turandot and the Tannheiser there over the years.

I wanted to go and see La Boheme there in the last year of it but it was cold and my tiny hand was frozen.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must admit that "musical theatre" does not rock my boat... however Ive played for several shows and really enjoyed it.  Compared to your average rock band gig it is challenging plus the musicians Ive met have been on the whole a pleasure to play with and very forgiving of my far inferior abilities. Plus when you get into it you can appreciate what it is doing.  It's like most music - if you give it a go you nearly always find something you like in it (except for line dancing country tunes and ceilidhs) 
    edited January 2017
    If there's a better vocal performance, ever, in any genre of music, I've yet to hear it.

Bjoerling was the sweetest and most musical tenor in history. Merrill arguably the greatest baritone too (fucking Aussie!) Bjoerling makes Pavarotti sound like Katy Perry.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I love a lot of musicals but then I was in a few when I was at school.

Oliver, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof - brilliant stuff.  On stage I've seen Chicago, Evita, Grease and Jesus Christ Superstar which are all fantastic for different reasons (the suspenders and basques in one - can't remember which)

West Side Story is also filled with incredible music.

Cats is dreadful, Starlight Express awful and I'd have no interest in the Disney ones.

As someone above said - its like all music. Some great, some shite, some meh.

Now, get me my leotard and legwarmers!
    edited January 2017
    Gassage said:

Saw Turandot and the Tannheiser  but it was cold and my tiny hand was frozen.
    Oh Mimi ........proper Opera buff right there ,probably got a collapsable Top hat in his closet !!! and the opera glasses
     On second thoughts ...Che Manina Gelida is La Boheme
    Dominic said:
    Gassage said:

Saw Turandot and the Tannheiser  but it was cold and my tiny hand was frozen.
    Oh Mimi ........proper Opera buff right there ,probably got a collapsable Top hat in his closet !!! and the opera glasses
     On second thoughts ...Che Manina Gelida is La Boheme
    Eh? See original.
    My Mum, as I have posted before, is a huge opera buff. I was brought up on it.