Anyone installed a wood burning stove?

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12346
We are having an extension built on the house, single story, flat roof. I want to install a multi fuel stove, been looking through the regs, a pretty dry read TBH. Anyway have any of you guys done it? The flue would be going through the outside wall rather than through the roof.

I am loathe to pay a registered installer shit loads of money (and they do charge shitloads) to do what is, whilst slightly intimidating, A technically simple job. obviously sticking to the regs.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• currently looking to having ours done, I think we will be paying a pro but we will be having a liner put in the existing chimney so probably a bit trickier to what you are looking at.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    edited August 2013
    we had two burners installed (the previous owners had 1 burner, but the chimney wasn't lined). TBH the liner was the most expensive bit, one chimney was an outside wall, and the liner had to be insulated. I can dig out the receipt if you want, but from memory I think we paid about £1200 to have both lined, and about £700 was the insulated lining. They didn't charge an awful lot for their labour.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    If you are putting it on an outside wall then your looking at a double skinned stainless steel flu (insulated) which is expensive. If you are putting it in a chimney then you can use single skinned.

If you are thinking that you can just have the flu up to the height of the single story, then you may have to think again [-X
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    I fitted one a while ago:

There were rules about the height and location of the stack, about the proximity of combustible materials from the stove, and the requirement for a hearth of a certain size, but I think the most important bit is the need for permanent ventillation into the room where the stove is fitted. (It used to be that from a small stove (<4kW) you didn't need separate ventilation.)

I used this site:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

as a guide to interpreting the building regs - still seems to be very helpful, and it looks like some new regs came in from 2010
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12346
    Zodiac51 said:
    If you are putting it on an outside wall then your looking at a double skinned stainless steel flu (insulated) which is expensive. If you are putting it in a chimney then you can use single skinned.

If you are thinking that you can just have the flu up to the height of the single story, then you may have to think again [-X

As I said, Ive been reading the Regs.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12346
    Misterg said:
    I fitted one a while ago:

There were rules about the height and location of the stack, about the proximity of combustible materials from the stove, and the requirement for a hearth of a certain size, but I think the most important bit is the need for permanent ventillation into the room where the stove is fitted. (It used to be that from a small stove (<4kW) you didn't need separate ventilation.)

I used this site:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

as a guide to interpreting the building regs - still seems to be very helpful, and it looks like some new regs came in from 2010

Cheers, will have a look.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Yes don't buy a cheap one. I melted the bottom of one once. They really heat a room though.
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Have a chat with your council's building control department.  Someone will need to sign off the installation, either the council or another approved person/company.

In an ideal world, the flue would terminate at chimney height, but with a single storey extension that may not be practicable.  A low flue height may prompt complaints about smoke from neighbours ( it's part of my job, believe me it can happen).
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.