Learning to drive...

What's Hot
Yeah, as I approach 40, I figure it's about time I finally got around to getting my driving licence. Last time I was behind the wheel was about 12 years ago; got as far as booking the test, and the night before it was due my wife washed my jacket that I'd pre-filled with my paper licence ready for the morning. Test aborted, and I never got round to sorting it out.

So...I'm doing the sensible thing and not telling anybody I work with or live with that I'm doing it. I figure I'm reasonably likely to fail at least twice before getting there, given that old folk tend not to get there so quickly.

Anybody else learned to drive later in life than normal?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    I have had to renew my provisional ever now and again as I have type 1 diabetes and never got round to learning...just renewed it again and it's valid for three years. I better get it done this time...

I'm 53. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. Of course, it also raises the possibility that I'll end up in my mid-50s and still not have properly got round to it... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28337
    If you can work Linux a car should be dead easy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    You'd think so, wouldn't you?

The thing is, I don't have somebody sitting over my shoulder judging whether I should be allowed to use Linux without supervision.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    My Mrs learned at 33 and she did alright.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    Don't worry too much.

Just remember that every time you drive you stake your life and the lives of those around you, a significant financial commitment, your status as a citizen, and your reputation as a "bloke" on being able to do it perfectly.

Enjoy it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Don't tell yourself you're likely to fail.........Positive thoughts young man! You'll be fine, driving is just common sense really.
  • proggy said:
    Don't tell yourself you're likely to fail.........Positive thoughts young man! You'll be fine, driving is just common sense really.
    It's been a very long time since anyone's called me that...

For what it's worth, I've already decided on my first car. Criteria:

- Cheap to buy, run and fix
    - Small, to minimise the chance of bumping into stuff (and to fit on our driveway with the wife's car)
    - Must look appropriately hilarious for a middle-aged guy

Answer? Ford Puma, of course. Runners up were the MG ZR (not cheap on parts) and Audi A3 (bit boring).
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    29. Before that I lived in a city where public transport was good and car ownership was a pain, so I never bothered. If I ever needed a car to move something that was too big to get on the bus I just got a taxi.

Passed first time when I took it, but I'd put that down to an excellent driving instructor rather than any brilliance on my part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My g/f passed at 30, her dad passed in his 50s.

You'll know you're comfortable at it when your thought process changes from mirror, signal, manoeuvre, to mild road rage at how bad other people are at driving... you'll be fine.
  • ICBM said:
    29. Before that I lived in a city where public transport was good and car ownership was a pain, so I never bothered. If I ever needed a car to move something that was too big to get on the bus I just got a taxi.
    That's been my approach up to now. I've always worked locally and now I work from home, so there's no real need to do it. However, I figure I've done my bit for the planet by not having another car on the road for the last 20 years, so I might as well get it out of the way now while I've still got the capacity to learn.

Ironically, this decision has been made shortly after I decided not to bother with bands any more...and I'd always considered that band transport was the most inconvenient part of not driving.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28337

For what it's worth, I've already decided on my first car. Criteria:

- Cheap to buy, run and fix
    - Small, to minimise the chance of bumping into stuff (and to fit on our driveway with the wife's car)
    - Must look appropriately hilarious for a middle-aged guy

Answer?
    Nissan Figaro, natch.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/uploads/cms_article/4501_4600/nissan-figaro-buying-guide-and-review-1991-4586_11122_640X470.jpg

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    My mother passed in her fifties.

I've been trying to get Eric Jr to learn but he has failed his theory test  three times and is basically hopeless at driving. I put this down to video games, he seems to believe he can hit stuff and just get another life. At least at 40 you might have gained a sense of your own mortality.
     An intensive course seems to be around the £500 mark although I prefer the old fashioned method of a retired relative shouting at you. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I did my bike test years ago but never learnt to drive a car. Combination of not needing to 90% of the time (living in London) and not particularly wanting to.

I'm a similar age to you @digitalscream and also think it's about time I did it.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sporky said:
    You'd think so, wouldn't you?

The thing is, I don't have somebody sitting over my shoulder judging whether I should be allowed to use Linux without supervision.
    Personally I don't think anyone should be allowed to use Linux without supervision ;)
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Treat it as a driving lesson with a different instructor, honeatly the best top i was given. 
  • speshul91 said:
    Treat it as a driving lesson with a different instructor, honeatly the best top i was given. 
    Steady on, fella...not actually had my first lesson yet (this time, at least).

The prospect of having a silly boy-racer car (by my generation's standards, anyway) definitely gives me incentive, though.
    <space for hire>
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    I was in my late 20s and nerdy, with the result that I just found it very difficult to 'feel' the car - clutch biting point, braking pressures, etc. I always wanted the instructor to explain what was happening, and he said it wouldn't help. It all seemed elusive to me back then. One lesson would be perfect, the next I'd be lurching all over the place. He was right, of course, and it seems daft now. Failed first time, bought a car to practice to the point I grew to feel what the car was doing, and passed the second test.

I think I'd find it harder to pass these days, simply because of the sheer volume of traffic on the road.

The 'Les Paul' of middle-aged boy-racers is the MR2. Lovely car. :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I only learnt when I had to (and had my own money instead of asking mum and dad to pay for it when i was 17).

Passed when i was 27, but I didn't drive for 2 years after that because although a car was useful, i didn't 100% needed it so put it off as long as i can.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    After a bunch of failed tests when young, then living in London, then just being used to not driving I had lessons again in my mid 40's, took the test and passed.

Being older I was much pickier about the instructor, trying a few out until I found one who taught in a way that worked for me.  I had a couple of lessons a week, then a week packed with lessons taking the test on the Friday morning.  Breezed the theory test because someone got me the AA revision book, which does actually have all the questions and answers in it, so feels a bit like cheating.