Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you make a living as a gigging band???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    kelvinburn;133770" said:
    Very interesting reading. Also "What happens in Aldershot stays in Aldershot" by Reuben is worth a watch.
    Always worth a watch. I lent my copy to an ex-bandmate and never got it back, last one I saw on eBay went for about £80!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I watched some daft programme on budgetting and they had one of the guys from Black Lace (Agadoo,etc). He seemed to earn a good income from two gigs a week - although, I guess you have had to have been vaguely famous to start with.

I thought the Fish thing was a mixture of interesting fact and self pitying whingebaggery.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A guy I know used to make average £500 a week in Brian Adams tribute band.

Brian Adams.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I thought the Fish thing was a mixture of interesting fact and self pitying whingebaggery.

Don't sign up for his e-mailing list then @EricTheWeary ;-)
  • daveyh said:
    A guy I know used to make average £500 a week in Brian Adams tribute band.

Brian Adams.

Wow, just think what he could have earned in a Bryan Adams tribute then........!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Don't sign up for his e-mailing list then @EricTheWeary ;-)
     Just the facts m'am, just the facts.

• I thought the Fish thing was a mixture of interesting fact and self pitying whingebaggery.
    I didn't get self-pitying from it, myself.

I didn't get self-pitying from it, myself.
    Probably just what I read into it but he seemed to have an appalling lack of perspective. Life is often hard, Fish, but at least you get to play rock star and if we extrapolate out from what you wrote your potential earnings are massive and your potential losses minimised in comparison to, say (slightly random this, I know), someone putting their life savings into opening a sweet shop. 

Anyway, in brief, he got on my tits but I accept that is my responsibility, Fish is entitled to his views and is not responsible for my happiness. 
    L-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    @EricTheWeary I can see where you are coming from but don't forget Fish only has a few pay days a year and they need to sustain him forward for quite a long while.

The average income in the UK is approx £26k before tax etc. for Fish to equal that he needs a dozon gigs a year to clear him £2.2k irrespective of how much work and when he does it. this assumes he has no other significant costs (we all have to get to work for example). He may have some residual income from mechanical performing rights and copyright but that may not be much after all this time.

Anyway his problems are not ours and I was just being devils advocate/putting the other side forward.

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    Just makes you realise how you've got to exploit it when it's going well. I mean he's talking between 300 and 700 people per gig to break even. In Marillion's hayday they were playing stadia and huge venues of 50K and more. Even at crowds of 3000/4000, you're coining it in. But it doesn't last for ever (apart from if you're in a band called the Rolling Stones)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429

If I'm reading it right then I'm surprised how little his band earns for the gig, £750 split between 5 members puts them on less money then most of us on here get for wedding gigs. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

If I'm reading it right then I'm surprised how little his band earns for the gig, £750 split between 5 members puts them on less money then most of us on here get for wedding gigs. 

Well spotted...and yes, I get more than that for most of the gigs I do, which is ridiculous, really.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Danny1969 said:

£150 a gig is actually fairly par for the course for a musician in touring band at that level, ie 500-1500 seater venues.

I know plenty of professional musicians going out for that sort of money.

Yes, you can earn more playing wedding gig per gig, however unlike going on tour you are unlikely to be playing 25 odd shows in a the space of a month.

Furthermore, as a musician you generally won't have many expenses whilst on tour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Just to add a bit of additional perspective on this. 

I know a bloke who is the drummer in a band who had a number one and several top 20 hits in the 70's. He isn't an original member so he's on wages. He usually does one tour a year (UK or Europe). He is also in a high end (£1,500/night) function band. 

Apparently he earns more from the function band than the "famous band" and he still does building work on the side to make ends meet.