Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NPD: The BEST Strymon Timeline EVER ????

What's Hot

Comments

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    edited February 2017
    Interesting, thanks 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I tried to buy a set of his TL presets last year.

Let's just say that he doesn't make it easy to purchase, so I didn't buy them.

I don't know if the situation has changed.
  • I wonder if selling presets is going to be quite common now?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Price seems pretty steep for just dialing in a few presets. It's not like a fractal or helix where there literally thousands of variations and fx available. Timeline only has around 6-8 parameters for each delay engine. Can they really sound THAT much better than my own twiddling and dialing in?

Also, with stuff like this what's the ethics on sharing presets? There are so few parameters on something like a timeline compared to a fractal fx8 or similar that you could simply adjust the high cut a notch and share it on as your own preset. That's pretty much all he's done in the first place but with just a little more tweaking.

With something like an axe fx or helix I get the whole buying patches thing but I'm not so sure it's worth it on a timeline. 

Or or am I wrong?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Definitely. I'm going to be marketing a range of knob settings for a Tubescreamer. Also have some for the MXR Micro-amp which really make it more organic sounding 

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    JohnPerry said:
    Definitely. I'm going to be marketing a range of knob settings for a Tubescreamer. Also have some for the MXR Micro-amp which really make it more organic sounding 
    Very interested in the Micro-amp settings.

Do you take Paypal?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:

@mellowsun How does he make it difficult? I'd have thought he'd accept PayPal ....

Is anyone really going to use 70 presets? I'd have thought he'd make more money by allowing people to buy them individually. There are maybe 6 I'd pay for ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Price seems pretty steep for just dialing in a few presets. It's not like a fractal or helix where there literally thousands of variations and fx available. Timeline only has around 6-8 parameters for each delay engine. Can they really sound THAT much better than my own twiddling and dialing in?

Also, with stuff like this what's the ethics on sharing presets? There are so few parameters on something like a timeline compared to a fractal fx8 or similar that you could simply adjust the high cut a notch and share it on as your own preset. That's pretty much all he's done in the first place but with just a little more tweaking.

With something like an axe fx or helix I get the whole buying patches thing but I'm not so sure it's worth it on a timeline. 

Or or am I wrong?!
    I was going to ask this question as I genuinely dont know how involved a timeline is and how many parameters it has. 
    edited February 2017
    Fretwired said:
    mellowsun said:

@mellowsun How does he make it difficult? I'd have thought he'd accept PayPal ....

Is anyone really going to use 70 presets? I'd have thought he'd make more money by allowing people to buy them individually. There are maybe 6 I'd pay for ..
    He only accepts payment in Euros via Swift/IBAN bank transfer to his account.

iirc there was another option to pay in dollars via some complex Western Union arrangement.

The fees involved, from my UK account at least, would have added another 40-50 quid to the cost so I passed.

Absolutely refuses to take PayPal 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:

iirc there was another option to pay in dollars via some complex Western Union arrangement.

The fees involved, from my UK account at least, would have added another 40-50 quid to the cost so I passed.

That's me out as well ... daft.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    mellowsun said:
    Fretwired said:
    mellowsun said:

Ha, that reminds me if trying to buy something direct from Callaham. Lots of email exchanges to get to what I wanted and a quote, so far so good. And then when I think I'm done I'm sent a form to fill out myself detailing everything we'd agreed on. Weird, so after pointing out politely that I'm not his administrator, I declined.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    The demo's on the website still sound a bit sterile to me...
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited February 2017
    *wrong thread*
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    keir said:
    Interesting, thanks 
    You do not need to do this.
  • Taken from his site:

"Programming an effects device is like painting! You are creating a sound_picture, something that will sound like a state of mind, a place of your life. Effects can even inspire music composition and the way we play our instruments. Effects that sound good and offer dynamic response to one's playing intensity are my favorite. The space you create has a life tied to your playing, in terms of width, depth, speed, pan, intensity, size, rhythms, pitch… all aspects you get to know well to create special places for your instrument. From a chorus to a flanger, a delay or a pitch shifter, a resonator or a verb or even more exotic ones…all these enchanting effects become very expressive if their parameters are tied to your playing and music. They are now part of the music itself!"

This i really agree with!

"Custom Presets Libraries require us to share quite a wealth of datas, from your system layout to its MIDI control, the music style you play and the sounds you want to get, from listening to reference recordings to exchanging ideas and views. until, after painstaking programming and tweaking, YOU get what you are looking for…YOUR OWN unique sounds"

This i really disagree with.

I can absolutely see the value in paying for knowledge you dont have if it helps you grow and learn more. If this guy was offering online courses offering tutorials on how to get the most out of a particular effects unit, assuming you like what he does then i can totally see that buying a tutorial on how he approaches making the effects would be worthwhile as a learning experience.

Im also not anti presets at all, if a preset helps me to make the music i want to make im not going to perversely tweak it just to appease my inner artistic arrogance. 

However, 
    i find it hard to be onboard with the idea that someone else can somehow create custom presets for me that are more uniquely my own sound than i can create for myself.

Its a bit of a cliche, but i see exploring / creating sound as a journey, a continuing learning process of learning how to express myself musically, rather than a destination of making stuff that sounds professional. 

I guess i'm just not the target audience...

• Fretwired said:
    mellowsun said:

That's me out as well ... daft.
    Whit? Nae PayPal? Well yer no gettin payed, pal.

That seems pretty daft to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the £ he's asking for is just too high. If you think how much one H9 algorithm costs, this is...well several algorithms' worth. I don't doubt his talents, but if he brought his price down to 35 euros, say, and allowed PayPal payments to buy & download them from his website, he'd sell a lot more.
    I think the £ he's asking for is just too high. If you think how much one H9 algorithm costs, this is...well several algorithms' worth. I don't doubt his talents, but if he brought his price down to 35 euros, say, and allowed PayPal payments to buy & download them from his website, he'd sell a lot more.
    tbh I don't think he's that interested in selling them to individuals, I think he makes his money working with bigger fish.
  • mellowsun said:
    I think the £ he's asking for is just too high. If you think how much one H9 algorithm costs, this is...well several algorithms' worth. I don't doubt his talents, but if he brought his price down to 35 euros, say, and allowed PayPal payments to buy & download them from his website, he'd sell a lot more.
    tbh I don't think he's that interested in selling them to individuals, I think he makes his money working with bigger fish.
    True.
  • Magic presets? 

How deep is the time line editing? No doubt any mfx benifits from having time spent on programming but good presets are so gear dependant surely? Which is why I'd never even consider a preset pack unless it's to see what tricks they are doing..