Tight, crunchy distortion?

5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
Hello all. 

I'm looking for a tight, crunchy/chuggy, meaty distortion. I've got a Rat so have that slightly loose, fuzzy distortion sound covered, and also have a Boss Fuzz and Bad Monkey for my other dirt, but I'm looking for something else that has more of a crunchy tight sound. 

I've had a look and a Suhr Riot (actually looking at Joyo US Dream as don't want to spend too much) and that seems to match what I'm looking for close enough. Any other recommendations, or just stick with what I've got and consider compressing/playing with EQ settings? I haven't considered compressors as I don't really like them. 

Thanks! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RAT (IMO) won't get you a tight distortion - no matter how much you compress or EQ. 

This has been an absolutely endless hunt for me. I think I've got there with high gain, I use a Piod What You Want 2, but they're hard to come by and have more of a Mesa sound to them, which you may not like.

So it's probably easier to suggest Marshall sounding pedals as they're easier to come by. The Marvel Drive gets quite tight at high settings. But the tightest and heaviest I've played is the Friedman BE-OD, but again, can be quite scooped.

Try the Mooer version of the Riot, it's nice and cheap. The Riot is a great pedal, wasn't quite the tone I was after but I had it for a while and it was nice.

There's also the more expensive Amptweaker pedals.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RAT (IMO) won't get you a tight distortion - no matter how much you compress or EQ. 

This has been an absolutely endless hunt for me. I think I've got there with high gain, I use a Piod What You Want 2, but they're hard to come by and have more of a Mesa sound to them, which you may not like.

So it's probably easier to suggest Marshall sounding pedals as they're easier to come by. The Marvel Drive gets quite tight at high settings. But the tightest and heaviest I've played is the Friedman BE-OD, but again, can be quite scooped.

Try the Mooer version of the Riot, it's nice and cheap. The Riot is a great pedal, wasn't quite the tone I was after but I had it for a while and it was nice.

There's also the more expensive Amptweaker pedals.
    That's the Mooer Solo isn't it? Yeah that was on my list too. 

Thanks 
  • That's the Mooer Solo isn't it? Yeah that was on my list too. 

Thanks 
    That's the one, I've heard good things about it. Really like the Mooer stuff.

There's also the new line of Mooer preamps that could help, too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24310
    AMT R2 or the P2
  • Not owned either but my own research into this left me looking at AMT P2 or Amptweaker Tight Metal
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    edited February 2017
    Ah shit, that AMT R2 is perfect and over budget, will keep an eye out for one on the classifieds. 

I'm not a sophisticated creature and new to separate effects units, so is there an option for single output whilst getting both amp and drive settings? It would be getting dropped into a pedalboard so 2 outputs is a bit tricky for me. 
  • Ah shit, that AMT R2 is perfect and over budget, will keep an eye out for one on the classifieds. 

I'm not a sophisticated creature and new to separate effects units, so is there an option for single output whilst getting both amp and drive settings? It would be getting dropped into a pedalboard so 2 outputs is a bit tricky for me. 
    Ah, nevermind, video I'm watching seems to suggest you get that by using the preamp out only channel. 
  • Ah shit, that AMT R2 is perfect and over budget, will keep an eye out for one on the classifieds. 

I think one of the members here has/had a discount code for AMT's UK online store in their signature.  I think it is one of the Johns, possibly @John_A ?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    The classic thrash crunch was using tube screamers. I dial in a great crunch using a modern guvnor when playing thrash.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Ah shit, that AMT R2 is perfect and over budget, will keep an eye out for one on the classifieds. 

I think one of the members here has/had a discount code for AMT's UK online store in their signature.  I think it is one of the Johns, possibly @John_A ?

There you go, see my sig.  Not sure if it's still valid.  I also have a mint R1 that isn't getting any use if you are interested drop me a PM.
  • How about a Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion? The demo I heard did tight and chuggy down to a tee.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:

There you go, see my sig.  Not sure if it's still valid.  I also have a mint R1 that isn't getting any use if you are interested drop me a PM.
    As discussed the AMT IMO is not at its best when used in to the front of an amp, great as a preamp in to a power amp.  The Joyo US Dream would be a great choice
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    The Joyo US dream is quite dark, though (at least mine is). I'd be tempted to suggest the crunchbox clone (the joyo crunch distortion) but it's darkish too. I haven't tried it, but maybe the mooer crunchbox clone or similar? Or joyo has a new teenchy range of pedals and they look like they have a crunchbox clone with the external presence control (should help with the darkness)- but I haven't tried it, either.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited February 2017
    Hello all. 

I'm looking for a tight, crunchy/chuggy, meaty distortion. I've got a Rat so have that slightly loose, fuzzy distortion sound covered, and also have a Boss Fuzz and Bad Monkey for my other dirt, but I'm looking for something else that has more of a crunchy tight sound. 

Tight, crunchy, meaty is exactly how I would describe the DOD Gunslinger, I found one on ebay for fifty quid 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Chuggy, crunchy and meaty? OCD is what you are after. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6072
    edited February 2017
    If a big box isn't an issue, the Maxon DS-830 Distortion Master will do what you ask.