New Rogue One trailer - Darth Vader content

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Emp_Fab said:
    I managed fifteen minutes before pressing 'stop'.  What a pile of shite.  It was a disgrace to out-poo Episode 1.  The soundtrack is just dire - whoever did the music for it needs shooting.  You'd swear it was just random orchestral pieces playing. 
    Unwatchable bilge I'm afraid.
    The first 15 minutes is all planet hoping and setting up the story... it doesn't start of great.  Personally I am happy they tried to give each planet a different musical feel, but it does increase the jarring feeling you can get in the first bit of the film.  So i totally get what you are saying if you are basing your review on the first 15 minutes.  I remember thinking similar in the cinema

You quickly get past it, and its brilliant.  The last 5 minutes (excluding CGI Leia) are already some of the most memorable is Star Wars history

Rogue 1 shows Disney know how to do a prequel!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4923
    Is this the one with Gary Barlow in it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39407641

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    OK, I'll give it another go.... but that disjointed music better get its act together.  My ears were telling me something major was about to kick off when nothing did and vice-versa.  How has nobody else commented on this ? - I thought we were all musicians?  Maybe I'm just weird ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK, I'll give it another go.... but that disjointed music better get its act together.  My ears were telling me something major was about to kick off when nothing did and vice-versa.  How has nobody else commented on this ? - I thought we were all musicians?  Maybe I'm just weird ?
    Because you forgive it all by the end of the film.

It purposely tries to be different to the original theme and that is also kinda jarring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK, I'll give it another go.... but that disjointed music better get its act together.  My ears were telling me something major was about to kick off when nothing did and vice-versa.  How has nobody else commented on this ?
    I noticed that too, but I thought it actually worked quite well to give a sense of uncertainty and unease. Don't some horror films do more or less the same? (I'm not a horror fan in general.)

I would maybe agree that the first fifteen minutes aren't fantastic - but it really does get a lot better after that. Even after a few months to think about it I'm still sure it's the best Star Wars film since Return Of The Jedi and probably since The Empire Strikes Back. (Since ROTJ is somewhat weak at the end, which this isn't.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Really ??!!!  The best since Jedi ?  You've rekindled my interest !
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The early stages need tidying up, but when it gets going it's great.

flawed in a few places* but redeemed by the end.

(Dodgy CGI characters, the truth octopus, wasting Forest Whitaker)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Really ??!!!  The best since Jedi ?  You've rekindled my interest !
    Yes… although to be honest when the competition is Phantom Menace, Clones and Sith it's not a fair contest really :). The surprise for me was that it's much better than The Force Awakens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I thought The Force Awakens and Rogue One were both excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It is slow going. Although my sister and her husband went to it thinking it was episode VIII and found it very confusing
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    This is a cool edit, end of Rogue One and beginning of A new hope spliced together

You're all off my Christmas card list.  I've wasted an hour on this shite now.  I started again from the beginning and got as far as them landing on some rainy rock in pursuit of the girl's father, one hour in.  What a load of old bollocks.  The number of little references to the big three original films was irritating in the extreme.  "Look, we're really a Star Wars film... honest... remember this bit ?".  The "My friend doesn't like you" bloke from the bar in Mos Eisley, Bib Fortuna sitting at the table, the godawful merging of the original soundtrack with fuck knows what, that sounded like Synthman's version of Tubular Bells.  The scenery - the shots - the sets - SO many bits copied from the other films !!

After one hour I gave up for good.  It had none of the atmosphere of any of the others, including the shitty episodes 1-3.  Just a pile of randomly glued-together scene-a-likes from the other films.  I fully expect an ewok to appear in the background riding a bantha, being led by a jawa who is dancing to the band from Mos Eisley - except I won't be watching the next 1h14m to find out if I'm right.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You suck.
    I know.  I was also drunk.
    That explains it.  Try again, from the start.
  • You do realise with all this stop starting and posting complaints you could have seen it by now...

The final section of battle scenes are what make the film. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I have lurgy atm so watched it again yesterday. I enjoyed it but I have to say it still didn't click like TFA did. The opening and final 30 minutes are really fantastic, but there's something about it that holds it back from being really good for me.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Emp_Fab said:
    You're all off my Christmas card list.  I've wasted an hour on this shite now.  I started again from the beginning and got as far as them landing on some rainy rock in pursuit of the girl's father, one hour in.  What a load of old bollocks.  The number of little references to the big three original films was irritating in the extreme.  "Look, we're really a Star Wars film... honest... remember this bit ?".  The "My friend doesn't like you" bloke from the bar in Mos Eisley, Bib Fortuna sitting at the table, the godawful merging of the original soundtrack with fuck knows what, that sounded like Synthman's version of Tubular Bells.  The scenery - the shots - the sets - SO many bits copied from the other films !!

After one hour I gave up for good.  It had none of the atmosphere of any of the others, including the shitty episodes 1-3.  Just a pile of randomly glued-together scene-a-likes from the other films.  I fully expect an ewok to appear in the background riding a bantha, being led by a jawa who is dancing to the band from Mos Eisley - except I won't be watching the next 1h14m to find out if I'm right.
    The Star Wars movie so bad that it feels like a spoof or a Chinese knockoff.  Worse than any of the prequels - at least they had ambition and a fascinating, quirky incompetence.  
    mixolyd said:

The Star Wars movie so bad that it feels like a spoof or a Chinese knockoff.  Worse than any of the prequels - at least they had ambition and a fascinating, quirky incompetence.  
    I thought that was TFA in a nutshell. They even parachuted in a couple of the original cast as guest stars... I'm surprised there wasn't off-screen applause when they showed up.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24383
    A Newer Hope was a rubbish remake.

I've not seen Rogue One yet. TBH the last one put me off in a way that even Phantom Menace didn't.