Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Last great guitar hero

What's Hot

Comments

• but surely it is just exposure and personal opinion that makes you think a certain person is the last great guitar hero. I mean my first exposure to music i can remember is listening to the very best rock album in the world ever with my dad on a saturday playing air guitar

and its the sound of the electric guitar in that whole album that made me want an electric guitar. Not specifically a certain player. I had never heard of these artists i just heard the music.  Then i was introduced to AC/DC Iron Maidden etc. by my best friend and it re-affirmed that passion for guitars. Or maybe the first time i heard Hendrix. 

John Mayer is my guitar hero at the minute but it has changed as my tastes have developed. He probably only inspired young guys to play because of the women he has dated not necessary his music

I don't think that you can say there is one last great but instead a decades of great players.

Clapton/Knofler/May/Slash/Gilmour/Jack White/ The Edge/ Page/ Marr/ 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    A guitarist who re-thunk playing and is therefore great has to be Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine. He exploited the Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar tremolo and built a sound around it. That and massive volume and reverse reverb!

Bound to be one that the chip shop lady will be unfamiliar with, but he deserves a mention.
  • Well my thoughts that prompted this for me was Someone who soon as everyone heard him the first time, just gasped with jaws dropped etc his music was not for me even though it was my time.
    You also have to take the time into context as well. And I Cannot believe it took so long for him to be mentioned, so maybe I am wrong. 
    Eddie Van Halen. That whole tapping thing with the weird noises, no one had ever sounded so wild or off the wall yet controlled. It was a big enough deal to get Michael Jackson saying I want that sound on his record !
    Sure , other guys since have played better or more technical such as Vai Satch and Petrucci etc
    And maybe others have used effects and tricks to create a more sonic landscape, but has anybody had the same influence on guitar playing since then. 
    You can argue Slash, but he did nothing new despite being a great player, it was fairly standard guitar playing. 
    That's my thoughts anyway, glad so many commented.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wez Borland for best fancy dress
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wez Borland for best fancy dress

Daft sod, have a lol
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
     Before that it was the loopbox
    In that case KT Tunstall !!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Well my thoughts that prompted this for me was Someone who soon as everyone heard him the first time, just gasped with jaws dropped etc his music was not for me even though it was my time.
    You also have to take the time into context as well. And I Cannot believe it took so long for him to be mentioned, so maybe I am wrong. 
    Eddie Van Halen. That whole tapping thing with the weird noises, no one had ever sounded so wild or off the wall yet controlled. It was a big enough deal to get Michael Jackson saying I want that sound on his record !
    Sure , other guys since have played better or more technical such as Vai Satch and Petrucci etc
    And maybe others have used effects and tricks to create a more sonic landscape, but has anybody had the same influence on guitar playing since then. 
    You can argue Slash, but he did nothing new despite being a great player, it was fairly standard guitar playing. 
    That's my thoughts anyway, glad so many commented.
    Oh definitely Van Halen. Not my cup of tea but he created bigger waves than anybody since Hendrix. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Jack White.

Fulfils all the criteria - popular, influential, has an instantly recognisable and quite original sound, is known for his playing as much as his songwriting or the bands he's in, is asked to guest on other people's records as a guitarist.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    RocknRollDave;143260" said:
    Can't see the Tom Morello thing, myself, can someone explain?
    as others have said someone who has done something that you can clearly hear comes out in other's playing ( well, they probably put it in plain English). I have heard Morello alikes and Jack White alikes.

With my blues hat on : SRV as the last great guitar hero. I could pretty much divide blues/ blues rock guitarists into pre or post Stevie.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited January 2014

Django Reinhardt ... he only had 2 useable fingers on his left hand FFS :-O

edit: damn spelt his name wrong!  fixed now  :|

• ESchap said:
    Django Reindhart ... he only had 2 useable fingers on his left hand FFS :-O

Guitar hero yes, but last no. ;) ICBM ref Jack White, what has he done apart from that one riff that every kid tried to play. Bearing in mind I know he has produced Loretta Lynn, but what is he known for on guitar, cause I don't know ?
  • ESchap said:
    Django Reindhart ... he only had 2 useable fingers on his left hand FFS :-O
    He was without question one of the very best to ever play a guitar and inspired everyone that is pretty much seen as an icon now days.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    ICBM ref Jack White, what has he done apart from that one riff that every kid tried to play. Bearing in mind I know he has produced Loretta Lynn, but what is he known for on guitar, cause I don't know ?
    Probably easier to just look him up on Wikipedia :).

He's done a fair amount of stuff - I actually think most of it rather samey, but that still doesn't mean he isn't a "guitar hero" in the traditional sense, and I can't think of anyone else since.

How many people who aren't interested in classic rock know more Blackmore riffs than Smoke On The Water or Page ones than Whole Lotta Love?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    To me, a guitar hero has to be someone who rips out solos and maybe (but not always) looks cool in an OTT sort of way, rather than being any kind of innovator. Also, public awareness not that important.

Players I'd call guitar heroes:
    Slash, Zakk Wylde, Blackmore, Clapton in Cream, Petrucci, Vai, Angus Young, Malmsteen etc

Great players I wouldn't consider guitar heroes:
    Jack White, Prince, Clapton solo, Matt Bellamy, Johnny Marr, John Squire, Greenwood etc . They all inspired people to play, but they aren't guitar heroes to me. I'm not even saying that the 'guitar heroes' are better or have more value, it's just a label/perception thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ICBM ref Jack White, what has he done apart from that one riff that every kid tried to play. Bearing in mind I know he has produced Loretta Lynn, but what is he known for on guitar, cause I don't know ?
    Probably easier to just look him up on Wikipedia :).

He's done a fair amount of stuff - I actually think most of it rather samey, but that still doesn't mean he isn't a "guitar hero" in the traditional sense, and I can't think of anyone else since.

How many people who aren't interested in classic rock know more Blackmore riffs than Smoke On The Water or Page ones than Whole Lotta Love?

Mm if I have to look him up on wiki then is he a guitar hero ? I can't see what he has done for music full stop apart from a catchy riff and singing like that nutter from Police academy!
  • For me, Johnny Greenwood.  Although I do believe Jack White is a modern guitar hero.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    My son says Slash and it's hard to disagree, but I say Jimmy Page, for the riffs, solos and the guitar-layering production. Can't believe no-one's mentioned the great Pagey yet, unless I missed it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Slash. I like his stuff, but whether or not I like him he's the last great obvious guitar playing icon. 

My guitar hero is Page, but he came a long time before Slash. And Slash is still there with his top hat on doing his thing. 

It almost seems like the days of the guitar hero are gone. There have been plenty of guitar players that have come along since Slash. But none of them real iconic guitar heroes. 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Another one for Johnny Greenwood here. Amazing innovator.

Johnny Buckland too- very tasteful and Coldplay are probably the biggest touring band in the world right now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Eddie Van Halen. That whole tapping thing with the weird noises, no one had ever sounded so wild or off the wall yet controlled.

I agree with you on this, EVH wins my vote too. 

He was the point at which rock guitar seemed to change from being about how to sound like Hendrix, or that blues, pentatonic style.  Before EVH the (admittedly only a few) guitar players I'd seen in the pubs and clubs had that sloppy and improvised sound where someone would play a guitar solo for 10 minutes from the same two or three licks and you'd unquestioningly accept that that was what rock guitar playing was all about.

Along came Eddie, playing as tight as f*ck, and very quickly players sharpened up their chops and their approach to playing.  EVH made players better players.  I don't even listen to much he's done other than the first VH album!

The irony of all this is at a personal level when my mate played me the first VH album I was blown away and, unfortunately in true "fight or fright" mode, something in me thought that it was super-human playing and I'd never be able to emulate it.  So like the last of the old dinosaurs I took my first position pentatonic to the tar pits and got stuck there for decades. 

But yep, EVH.