Helix LT is now available for order. Cut down version - ish.

What's Hot

Comments

• I agree with @John_A - there are characteristics to all tones that are complex to model. I think people who think high gain tones are easy to model probably aren't a high gain player, likewise with cleans etc.

If you've ever played a Dual Rec halfstack on Red Modern at a decent volume the low end response is very unique, palm mutes have a serious kick to them but the high end is still crunchy. Until the latest crop of modelers nothing got close. But there are plenty of people who don't care about those characteristics, and think all high gain amps sound the same anyway etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• mellowsun said:
    All the Helix mid-to-high gain demos I've heard have this delay effect going on in the tails which makes it sound bigger and presumably hides the digital fizziness.
    Check Sonic Drive Studios on YouTube, he's done some good demos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited April 2017
    Have to disagree, I don't think a valve head is better sounding than this new generation of digital gear. I've been a valve amp guy for nearly 20 years now, and my recent switch to digital is the most liberating thing I've ever done for my tone. It's better now than what it's ever been. I'm such a fussy fucker about my sound and I've been able to dial it in with precision with the Axe FX. Couldn't be happier. 

I am not sure it can be very subjective any more either (Im getting ready for the backlash on that) because it's so close when dialled in properly, I can't tell the difference and am not convinced many others will either.

Now, I think what people describe is the "amp in the room" experience, because the tone and sound itself is a different thing that we need to learn to disassociate with it. After all, when you hear your gear recorded, you don't have the amp in the room...that is what we need to compare the sound with.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28483
    mellowsun said:
    All the Helix mid-to-high gain demos I've heard have this delay effect going on in the tails which makes it sound bigger and presumably hides the digital fizziness.
    Yeah, and every recording with a valve amp has a horrible analogue mooing-clunk noise at each pick attack.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sporky said:
    Yeah, and every recording with a valve amp has a horrible analogue mooing-clunk noise at each pick attack.
    That's the bit that's hardest to model though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28483
    Well played! :D
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    I still prefer a loud valve amp out of choice for gigs. But the difference is close enough for me to no longer care. It's now just a question of habit really.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited April 2017
    Who's this Clarky bloke and how can I find his videos?
    I think it's @Clarky  erstwhile guitarist fro David Cross and general guitar lord. 
    Otherwise known as "He Of The Thousand Expression Pedals".
    that'll be me then… lol..
    there's actually a solid reason why my rig is configured to behave that way..
    it's all about the needs of the DC Band live set and making everything as easy as possible from an on stage performance standpoint…
    so all the time and effort that went into experimenting with and configuring the control side of things pays back hugely in the long run..

in all honesty I didn't find it to be much fun at all.. hours and hours of experiments and problem solving..
    but seriously, it ended up being a major investment and makes my on stage experience extremely good
    and…
    no big empty gaps switching tones, ambient tails are not chopped and no clunky volume changes
    the tone transitions are immediate and completely flawless..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • @Clarky where can I listen to your music and learn about your setup?

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    I'm guessing the Helix LT behaviour will be the same as the Helix with regard to the following

So here's a question for Helix users: Am I correct in assuming that if I set up the switches to turn on and off effects pedals (e.g. compression, distortion, chorus, delay etc) that there won't be any latency, and that the latency only occurs when switching complete presets?

It's not a competition.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    I'm guessing the Helix LT behaviour will be the same as the Helix with regard to the following

So here's a question for Helix users: Am I correct in assuming that if I set up the switches to turn on and off effects pedals (e.g. compression, distortion, chorus, delay etc) that there won't be any latency, and that the latency only occurs when switching complete presets?

Yes.

And snapshots were introduced to help change whole fx states within 1 patch.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    mellowsun said:

Bollocks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:

Jake says shhhh
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    @Clarky where can I listen to your music and learn about your setup?
    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe2-preset-building.50243/page-32

from post 635, and a detailed description continues from there on across a few more pages [in amongst the chat]
    my latest presets have evolved and become a little more capable since then [and there is now a 4th XP pedal providing further functionality], but the core behaviour is essentially the same.
    anything you hear of me in the studio will not feature the control behaviours of these presets because it's not needed.. 
    in the studio I record each different guitar tone / part independently and do not morph between them..
    the tone morphing I do is just for live stuff and brings a little something extra to live performances that is not on the albums..
    I rather like the idea that after the albums are all done and dusted, a live show can still pull out a few additional 'aces' if you know what I mean..

when we play our next UK date I'll shout and then you'll be able to see / hear all this for yourself if you're able to get there..
    alternatively, if the nice Fretboard folks are kind enough to invite me again to the next Guitar show in Birmingham, I'll have my Axe-FX there with me.. and I'll happily take you through the presets in person face to face and show you how they work..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited April 2017
    Having checked out loads of flashy Helix videos it's the one at the link below that's made up my mind to get one (but the LT version).

You might think WTF, but wait until 2.20. I know the some of the tuning is off in places (especially around 5.49) but the tones he's getting have convinced me.

It's not a competition.
  • Clarky said:
    @Clarky where can I listen to your music and learn about your setup?
    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe2-preset-building.50243/page-32

from post 635, and a detailed description continues from there on across a few more pages [in amongst the chat]
    my latest presets have evolved and become a little more capable since then [and there is now a 4th XP pedal providing further functionality], but the core behaviour is essentially the same.
    anything you hear of me in the studio will not feature the control behaviours of these presets because it's not needed.. 
    in the studio I record each different guitar tone / part independently and do not morph between them..
    the tone morphing I do is just for live stuff and brings a little something extra to live performances that is not on the albums..
    I rather like the idea that after the albums are all done and dusted, a live show can still pull out a few additional 'aces' if you know what I mean..

when we play our next UK date I'll shout and then you'll be able to see / hear all this for yourself if you're able to get there..
    alternatively, if the nice Fretboard folks are kind enough to invite me again to the next Guitar show in Birmingham, I'll have my Axe-FX there with me.. and I'll happily take you through the presets in person face to face and show you how they work..
    That's incredibly kind of you, thank you! I'll check out the Fractal forum. All the best!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27132
    Having checked out loads of flashy Helix videos it's the one at the link below that's made up my mind to get one (but the LT version).

You might think WTF, but wait until 2.20. I know the some of the tuning is off in places (especially around 5.49) but the tones he's getting have convinced me.

That chap is my boss's best mate! And that's the same video that convinced me that Helix is what I need for the sort of application I want
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • keirkeir Frets: 137

This video sold me on the helix too, and upgrading my pickups to bareknuckles!
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I honestly think it's all a much of a muchness. The Helix, Kemper, and Axe FX all sound very similar to me, depending on the models you compare.

None of them sound as good a real valve head - I'm still a tad bit snobbish about that!!
    I agree, but then you and I prefer hi-gain sounds which are notoriously difficult to replicate, in contrast to say, mid gain edge of breakup tones, which are pretty straight forward to simulate on digital gear. 
    It seems to be the case that whatever type of sound you are most familiar with is hardest to model.
    I suspect it's more that within that genre you are far more discerning.

Accepted wisdom seems to be that clean sounds are easy to model, but when I was setting up modellers for a funk band I found them much harder to get right than lead sounds. The truth is probably just that was the sound I cared most about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24440
    Wis.

Im very happy with guitar tones. I'm very picky on bass ones!