Irongear Blues Engines?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Oh great they've got them in now and I've nothing to put a set in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I might go in another direction and get some tesla sharks and wire them out of phase peter green style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10527
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    The irongears are £70 and the oil citys are £138 plus postage, so about double the cost. However I do know that I like the oil city ones.

I'm tempted to try the blitz spirits this time as well. Just can't seem to get in touch with Ash for the past few weeks.
    I'm here dude ... had a horrible stomach bug that laid me low for a while ... but I'm back :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    @TheGuitarWeasel excellent. I've sent you quite a few PMs about different pickups so I'll just let you read them rather than sending more haha.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10527
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel excellent. I've sent you quite a few PMs about different pickups so I'll just let you read them rather than sending more haha.
    Only just getting back into the swing of things mate .... send as much as you like ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Evildurka said:
    Necro bump here @jdbwales what were the bare knuckles you had used before the blues engines? Reading between the lines the spec looks almost identical to the mule so I'm guessing it's a clone of them.
    @Evildurka I tried a few models, Nailbombs were nondescript, Rebel Yells were OK but a bit too bright but the model I settled on and gigged for a year or so   were Emeralds - they were great, but lacked something in the low mids for me. Again, my LP Custom is incredibly picky about pickups but the Blues Engines went in and won't be coming out. They sound massive, smooth and present and chunky at the same time so they won out over pickups costing at least twice as much.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwales said:
    Evildurka said:
    Necro bump here @jdbwales what were the bare knuckles you had used before the blues engines? Reading between the lines the spec looks almost identical to the mule so I'm guessing it's a clone of them.
    @Evildurka I tried a few models, Nailbombs were nondescript, Rebel Yells were OK but a bit too bright but the model I settled on and gigged for a year or so   were Emeralds - they were great, but lacked something in the low mids for me. Again, my LP Custom is incredibly picky about pickups but the Blues Engines went in and won't be coming out. They sound massive, smooth and present and chunky at the same time so they won out over pickups costing at least twice as much.

+1 on the Blues engine pups. They are brilliant and the neck is my favourite in a les Paul 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    How do people rate the tonerider against the irongear ? I've had tonerider rocksong in a epiphone les paul and it sounded amazing to the stock and against my mates gibson lpaul
  • mark123 said:
    How do people rate the tonerider against the irongear ? I've had tonerider rocksong in a epiphone les paul and it sounded amazing to the stock and against my mates gibson lpaul

I'm not a fan of the Toneriders in a les Paul I find them to be muddy and I was very disappointed. 

I think the iron gear stuff is great. I've got the blues engines in a les Paul and the steam hammers in an Ibanez jem and prefer them to the evos 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    mark123 said:
    I had Tonerider Alnico IIs in a Fernandes Ravelle and they totally blew the stock Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set out of the water.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    mark123 said:
    I had Tonerider Alnico IIs in a Fernandes Ravelle and they totally blew the stock Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set out of the water.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Ive been thinking about putting a set of the iron Gear P90s in my ESP Viper, as the stock humbuckers are pretty shite. They get good reviews generally, but anyone on here had experience with them?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**